Author Topic: Hole gauges  (Read 3770 times)

Offline dickda1

Hole gauges
« on: April 28, 2011, 02:58:46 PM »
Am about to buy some hole gauges again.

I have owned a number of hole gauges over the years from the small hole variety to the telescoping kind.  I can understand paying a premium price for a Mitutoyo or a Starrett micrometer or perhaps even a dial gauge.  But, I have never understood the difference in quality between a $14 set and a $117 set.  I must admit that I have trouble measuring better than about 0.03 millimeters using these devices.  Anyone have any hints on how they use theirs?

-Dick
sunny (mostly) San Francisco, land of looney people, sane politics and occasional earthquakes.

Offline picclock

Re: Hole gauges
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 04:30:18 PM »
>> Anyone have any hints on how they use theirs?

Badly ?   :scratch:

I insert mine at an angle then tighten, then straighten to an upright position to set the width, then angle again to remove.

Never sure if the reading I get is accurate.

If anyone knows a better way I'm all ears.

Best Regards

picclock

Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 05:08:23 PM »
Dick,

It is all about feel.

Dead serious here, practice on  known bore size(s) you will soon get the hang of it. :D

The difference in price is as always how well they are made. Telescopic ones -easy- allow it to open half way lock it and wiggle it, see how much it moves, allow it to open all the way - lock it and wiggle. Should not wiggle at all. Some wiggle alot more that others. Guess which are the best and cost more.

So there you have it -  :D

DaveH
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 05:20:07 PM by DaveH »
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline dickda1

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 05:24:30 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I subscribe to a number of machining/tool forums, but this is where I go for information by people who know what they are doing or are trying (like me).  At some point, given experience and age, I either know it or I don't for this lifetime. :D

-Didk
sunny (mostly) San Francisco, land of looney people, sane politics and occasional earthquakes.

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 05:41:36 PM »
Another way is to make a (or two or three) bore gauge(s) on the lathe – before you start boring. :doh:

Let’s say you want a bore dia. 1.000”   make your bore gauge 0.999 – 0.995” dia.

When this bore gauge just goes in ( without wacking it ) you’re there.

You then save that bore gauge for the next time  :D

This method is a lot more accurate than cheap telescopic gauges.

Go and no go bore gauges are available but can be ooooooh so expensive :(

DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline BarryG41

• Moana South Australia
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 11:33:14 PM »
Professional Go - NO Go  gauges are essentially  a production tool.  Yes they are expensive and so is their manufacture.  But there is no need for a hobby builder to make them in HSS and ground to .00001".   Again I would not make them unless you want to go into a semi production of an article.   

A simple and cheap and accurate method is to use internal spring caliper and  a good digital caliper or vernier.   Despite owning M & W ball and spring internal gauges. I generally use the the simple internal spring calipers.

What ever you use, it takes practice to get a good result.

Barry G
Unskilled operator having fun