The Breakroom > The Water Cooler

Splinters

<< < (2/3) > >>

Rog02:
Callus' and more callus!

The "chip brushes" are a good idea and one of those magnetic "picker upper thingies". 

I am a rather big fan of the "Mechanix Wear" style gloves except when welding or soldering.  Most are made with synthetic leather that melts (however they are machine washable which is nice).  For hot work or when handling especially sharp sheet metal I switch off to a similar style glove with leather palms.

:offtopic:
The large local bumper replating operation here, hires all their power hammer operators from a program with the local school for the deaf.  The totally deaf have no fear of hearing loss so they make ideal candidates to teach metal straightening to.  They also can communicate amidst the noise easily.  They still wear hearing protection to avoid nerve damage to the sensitive balance mechanism of the inner ear however.

Stilldrillin:
Nearly 3 years retired, still a few bits of steel surfacing. Still fetch `em out with a sharpened hacksaw blade, as all those years previous.......

One bit on the back of me hand was being difficult. just couldn`t dig it out!

Herself made me see Doc...... It`s only a splinter..... ?

NO!!
Basal cell carcinoma, probably from the grubby cuff of my overalls.......

All ok, now.......

Oh, yes...... I`ve got industrial hearing damage & tinnitus as well.

Lets all be carefull out there.....

SPiN Racing:
He he he

I was a bit of a dumbass when in late high school and college. And was competing for a short time in car stereo contests in the 1985-1986 range. I had a car stereo in my station wagon that was 148DB. :(
It was loud enough that with certain music, it would cause a variety of symptoms. Nausea, vision blurring to the music because the fluid in your eyes was getting squished. TO the most horrible feature... foaming bowel movements. That was likely from the 10" subwoofers under each of the front seats.

Needless to say, that combined with around 600 hours in Cessnas with faulty window and door gaskets, I have some pretty healthy hearing issues. Not deaf, but I have completely different hearing in each ear. Certain voice frequencies I can hear in one ear and not the other.

Oh yeah and the rock concerts.. I never missed one.  :headbang:

Swarf and splinters..

My son had some headaches and nausea kicking in for some unknown resons. They ended wanting to do MRI and CAT scans.
They asked... Do either of you work on a metal lathe or mill?
erm

Me why?

THey walked me around the corner and showed me one of the machines.. a HUGEEEEE Ring around a table. They said.. THAT.. is a giant electro magnet.........

I was impressed.. but thought it wasnt a big deal. Till they told me they have lots of problems with people who have ferrous metal in thier fingers and hands. And they have a lot of problems because the magnet removes them forcably. And they just migrate right out of your skin.. and through whatever is in the way I gather.

Needless to say.. I stayed well away from that room.  :wave:

cedge:
Spin
Had an MRI tech tell me a similar tale. Seems the magnet will remove a splinter through the opposite side of the hand or finger if it happens to be facing the wrong way in reference to the magnetic ring. Can you say "tiny bullet holes through your hand"? His worst stories don't bear writing on an online machinist forum. 

Having a stent quite near my heart, they won't do MRI's on me anymore... need to get me a tattoo....Cat Scan Only....(grin)

Steve

Bernd:

--- Quote from: cedge on December 26, 2008, 02:55:05 PM ---
Having a stent quite near my heart, they won't do MRI's on me anymore... need to get me a tattoo....Cat Scan Only....(grin)

Steve

--- End quote ---

I have a few of those too. I believe they are made from non magnetic stainless steel. So an MRI shouldn't bother them. :scratch:

I've never been able to figure out how a cat scans you. What kind of device do they use or do they use there eyes?  :lol:

Bernd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version