Author Topic: DTI Mod  (Read 3195 times)

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
DTI Mod
« on: June 04, 2011, 01:44:41 PM »
Like most folks, I use a Dial Indicator to center work in my 4-jaw chuck.  Unfortunately, the pointy little anvil on the DTI requires it to be set very close to center height on the lathe.

To get around that issue, I made a new anvil for the DTI.  Since the original anvil unscrews from the stem, my first thought was to make a screw in anvil.  I abandoned that idea when I tried to determine the thread size.  About the only thing I could determine was that the thread size was probably metric and somewhere between m2.5x.45 and m3.0x.50.  I didn't have a die in either of those sizes, so I decided to fasten the new anvil over the DTI stem with a set screw.  Probably easier all the way round because trying to adjust the thread stop so the anvil would wind up perfectly vertical would have been a challenge that's way beyond my reservoir of patience.  Here's what I wound up with.

It's made from a half inch length of cold rolled steel, 1" wide x 1/4" thick.  The center hole size needs to be .175" which a #16 drill is just about right for.  Nothing fancy, but will hopefully make my life easier.

Chuck

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: DTI Mod
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 02:04:57 PM »
Great idea Chuck. Let me know how it works for you.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Pappy Frank

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 09:19:21 PM »
Love it, gonna add it to my list of things  to do.

Frank

Offline websterz

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 12:45:47 AM »
This opens up a whole world of possibilities for DI attachments!  Brilliant stuff!

You get bananas!

:ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 02:57:55 AM »
Very nice mod there Chuck.

Just a little info.

Metric made dial gauges usually have a 2.5mm thread and Imperial made ones 4-48, but there could be others, depending what part of the world it was made, these are typically the two standards. Please note, that is MADE not TYPE, a Metric dial gauge could just as easily have the Imperial screw thread, depending what part of the world they come from.

In the UK, Arc do a very reasonably priced set of the type I have been using for many years, and mine fit most of my old dial gauges. They should be available from most places if you search them out.

Go down the page a little.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/New-Products

They allow you to 'feel' into places that you never thought was possible with a dial gauge, like checking that a bore is perfectly concentric or not (depending what type you want to check) to the outside, when turning in say the four jaw.

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175