Author Topic: Rust removal  (Read 4744 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Rust removal
« on: March 01, 2009, 03:15:20 PM »
Removing rust is something many of us face from time to time.  :dremel:

There are many ways to achieve this goal. Abrasive and chemical being the two main methods that we home workshop guys tend to use.

Abrasive can take on many forms and chemical usually requires a branded product.
Both can be costly, esp if you have a lot of parts or a single large item.

But, hold on a mo. What if you had something in the kitchen cupboard that would do the trick.
Even better, what if it only cost pennies instead of pounds.
And even better than all the above, what if it even worked better than those expensive commercial products

Can't be true can it.....can it?

Ok, as usual I'll post you a couple of pictures, showing the before and after results.

Take note of the bit on the left.

Now the results after just 24hrs. The specks is just the flash on pitted surfaces. The rust has all gone. I'll try to take a better pic later.

What did I use?

This, after evicting the little fellas that used to live in here

But what you really want is vinegar, white spirit vinegar or brown malt vinegar will do, doesn't matter which. What I used is watered down so expect the real stuff to work even better.

I believe John "Bogs" used a citrus solution. Coke will also work apparently. And no doubt there are other easily available household products that will do the same job.
The point is that they are all acids and acids love rust.

When you have finished be sure to wash with water and oil/paint etc. You may even want to neutralise with bicarb of soda (an alkaline) when finished.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 04:30:47 PM by Darren »
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Re: Rust removal
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 03:50:23 PM »
On the farm we used to soak rusty bits in a vat of sour milk,  awful sickly stink and not something you want to do the morning after the night before.  Lactic acid I presume.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 04:25:38 PM »
I hope you put the onions back after you had finished your trials. The doctors keep telling us we should get more iron into our diets.

:lol:

Bogs.

BTW I only use citric for cleaning silver soldered parts. So a very good bit of info Darren

Offline Bourne Bill

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 10:13:51 AM »
try Googling "electrolytic rust removal" I ve tried this method and it works great!!
Life is short, eat dessert first...........

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 06:54:13 PM »
Hi Bill,

I was going to try electrolytic rust removal. But after dumping the stuff in vinegar I'm not sure it can get any better or easier?

Mind you electrolytic is probably much faster on really heavily rusted items I would guess.
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline usn ret

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 11:24:12 PM »
I was guessing something strange like molasas and water mix and left to stew for a while. The pickle juice, however, left a nice patina, how does it buff up before oil or paint?  :thumbup:
Cliff :coffee:
If it isn't broken your not looking hard enough!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 04:00:50 AM »
Not got that far yet Cliff, but I will soon  :dremel:

You need to makes sure you wash the pickle off and cover the metal quickly by oiling or painting.
Or it will rust instantly as the pickle also removes all grease etc.