Author Topic: Ikea engine! Experimental engine runs!  (Read 8783 times)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Ikea engine! Experimental engine runs!
« on: July 20, 2011, 03:40:51 AM »
Here is a very crude movie of a very crude little engine. (Just click on the links)  I made this to test a few ideas relating to solenoid engines.

The solenoid is a 500 Ohm AC solenoid which even with 230V on it had a rather feeble pull and like all(?) solenoids it has most of its pull over the very last part of the stroke, which is not what we want for a solenoid engine.  Connecting the solenoid so that the end of the stroke coincides with 'TDC' means most of the solenoid pull goes into trying to stretch the connecting rod!  What is needed is for the solenoid to come to the end of its stroke sometime before TDC and the engine not to bind up.  So I put a slot in the connecting rod,  the solenoid hits its stopper at about 300 degrees and the engine continues to freewheel until it lifts the solenoid armature again and the coil is re-energised at about the 200 degree point, maybe a little later.

I also fitted a bridge rectifier to feed the solenoid DC which improved the amount of pull immensely.

Now that I know this principle works I should now get busy and make a 'nice' engine to display it.. :coffee:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25239206@N06/5956704873/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25239206@N06/5957266120/

(P.S.  I am getting quite pissed off!  The camera will not focus!  The cameraman does not have a clue! I dont know how to edit an AVI.  And to cap it all off Flickr could not have invented a more clunky way of me showing you the clips!  (Where the heck is the thoroughly pissed off icon?)
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Ikea engine! Experimental engine runs!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 04:06:18 AM »
Hi John

Neat little engine that is. Now that you have the principle down pat I can't wait to see what you come up with next. They could be quite a powerful little motor.

While looking at your pictures on the Flicka page I noticed the yellow Taxi. Your not running a side line business there are you?  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 01:41:36 PM »
John,

Smashing bluudy smashing :clap: :clap: :clap:
Great

:beer:
DaveH

PS about the camera focus - you must use your good eye! :lol: :lol: :lol:
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 03:41:12 PM »
Crackin' little engine John!  :thumbup:

Well done....  :clap: :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline CallMeAl

• I came, I saw, I wondered how to do it!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 03:33:40 PM »
Nicely done.
I skin cats my own way!

Offline stirling lad

• Stirling Scotland
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 11:17:08 PM »
Hi, please excuse my ignorance ( total clueless newbie) but whats this called, how does it work and all the other questions like how hard are they to make? is there a link to somewhere i can find out about, and how to make one of these?

oops sorry... I like it!... it doesnt look to complicated ... right up my street.

..Mike...

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 01:20:53 AM »
Hi Mike

It is a solenoid engine, you could make one to resemble just about any type of piston engine but instead of a piston and cylinder there is an electrical coil and a switch attached to the crankshaft to switch current to the coil at the correct time to pull the 'piston' into the coil.

There are plenty on the web, just Google "solenoid engine".

John

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 12:13:02 PM »
Hi John, I watched the videos, I feel your frustration, what you describe in taking video is what I've experienced with digital pictures, the camera takes the picture when it's ready, not when I push the button.  I haven't built a solenoid engine since I was a small boy, but the inverse force/distance relationship has always been the stumbling block for electric motors of every sort, even three phase motors which have their most torque at start up, opposite that of single phase motors.  I was thinking that perhaps if you allow the solenoid plunger to go past TDC, you would then have the plunger in the middle of its stroke when it has the greatest pull, and if you opened the contacts as the plunger crossed fully enclosed, and added a capacitor, the current would reverse in the solenoid at that point, and the capacitor would provide current to pull the plunger back into the solenoid, and in effect, make it double acting as a steam engine.  There is no doubt that running it on d.c. is the most efficient way unless you get it running syncronous to the frequency of the a.c. current, in which case, you might be able to have the plunger go past TDC during the zero current cross-over point, and then the next "peak" would be pulling the plunger back in.  I can't say I've ever tried it, but I will if I can shoe-horn it into all the other projects.  A very interesting proposition though, and worthy of further investigation. :bow: :beer:  Cheers, mad jack

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 03:37:30 PM »
Hi Jack,  going past TDC is not possible with the type of solenoid that has a pole piece over the end but that is the type that seems to have the most pull although only in the last part of the 'stroke'.

My idea I was experimenting with was to stop the armature before TDC by putting a slot in the connecting rod.  I suppose if I made the pole piece loose fitting the piston could push it up a bit as it goes over TDC.

Your idea of synchronous operation is interesting, although mains frequency would be a rather fast machine!  Of course a commutator would be a way to achieve double acting. 

I must say I had not considered a capacitor in the way you suggest, so thats worth investigating too!

Meanwhile, I have received some of the new finger nipping magnets and I think it is time to put them to use. I am thinking that a magnetic piston could be drawn in one end of the coil and expelled out the other giving a long smooth power stroke instead of the short strong pull of the closed end solenoid I have been playing with.

John