Author Topic: High water  (Read 3078 times)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
High water
« on: April 30, 2011, 10:34:51 PM »
I live near the Snake river here in Idaho. We are having lots of melt off from the winters snow right now. A little down river is an area called The Milner Miracle Mile. It has the largest white water rapids in the state. Right now they are class V+. Misses Keg and I went down to see them today. They were pretty impressive.

Here is where the water leaves the dam. These gates are nearly always closed. This is as close as they let anyone get to the dam.

Video

Around the corner the rapids start. There are 1.3 miles of this. I would say to wait for the water to drop some before you dare try this in a Kayak or raft.

Video

We had a great day. Most of the time it is like a desert around here. We even have cactus.

Hope all are well, Wes
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
Re: High water
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 10:56:49 PM »
Your Welcome Kenneth!!! I just checked the Bureau of Reclamation's website and they say that Milner dam is at 110% full and they are letting 15178CFS out of the dam. Town is about ten miles up river and there was water lapping on the lawn of a local restaurant on Friday. There are some water falls (Star falls) a little farther down river. Tomorrow we are going to try and go see them. I'll get some video.

Wes
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
Re: High water
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 12:51:41 AM »
Today we went to a local area called Cauldron Linn. On maps it is marked as Star falls. It was amazing!!! So much power! I've never seen it like this before. In the summer there is usually just a trickle going over the falls.

Later, Wes
Wesley P