Author Topic: Model RC steam Tug  (Read 23816 times)

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
Model RC steam Tug
« on: December 02, 2008, 11:43:19 AM »
Hi One of my other interests is building model boats, I never seem to finnish them because I find something I dont like and alter it. it is steam powerd and as like like workung in brass I incorporate it where I can on my boats. hear are a couple of pictures and a vidio,it will be finnished one day,

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=A4GFv5Pc6QA

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
Re: Model RC steam Tug
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 11:45:19 AM »
A couple more pictures ,as I am having problems posting in one go ive had to do it this way . but I will get the hang of it

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 02:18:25 PM »
Peter  :headbang: that's top class work Sir

CC

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 02:42:40 PM »
Wow! I would like to see more of the tug. Nice job sir. I agree, I love working with brass too (hence the name Brass_Machine)

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 03:24:59 PM »
Very nice indeed !
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 04:38:48 PM »
Nice looking tug there Pete. Obviously it's a kit, right? Looks like your adding your own detail.

I'd like to build a stern wheel paddle boat one of these days. Steam powered ofcourse.  :D

Aagin, nice job on the tug.  :thumbup:  :headbang:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 06:39:20 PM »
Thanks for that chaps. I bought a bare fiberglass moulding,Picture and the rest is scratch built, there are one or two bits that have been bought, mainley bits like railings that are that cheap and very boring to make, the large vents are two halves of a vacuum styrine vent that I should have made from scratch as they took about 3 days to get to that stage, but they where the right shape, one of the problems with the boat is that it is of a HS tug , these where built to replace the tugs lost in the first war, there where a lot built but none are left and very little info is avalable, so when ever I find any more info I alter it. it has lead to a lot of scrap and a lot of time blowing up very old pictures for detail.I am on the second compleat superstucture. i am at the stage where I have about 3 trays full of brass fittings and I need to start the paint

Peter

bogstandard

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 07:09:18 PM »
Looking at all this Peter makes me want to start scratch building again, but I daren't.

Not after just getting rid of 40 years of model boating tooling and all the associated bits and bobs. I think the only thing I have left is a kit in the loft from the early 70's. Just getting ripe for a killing on ebay.

People just don't realise, that just one small fitting can take days to make, and by the looks of it, you have made a fabulous job of them as well.

The decking is something else, and winch looks superb, shame you have to cover all that great work up with paint.

John

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 07:33:12 PM »
I have to agree with Bog's, that decking is superb and that pilot house is fantastic.  :thumbup: Very nice job scratch building. :thumbup:

What scale is the boat? Inquiring minds need to know. :)

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 07:36:40 PM »
Peter,

That build is inspiring. I love to see work like that. You sir, rock  :headbang:

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 04:00:20 AM »
The tug is 34 1/2 long that makes it 1/ 30 scale  an odd size but I loked the look of the hull and as it has steam power I orefer fiberglass than plank on frame as there is a bit more space, I cannot make them to big as my wife has to do the lifting of them,
Brass_Machine the picture is for you as you said you like brass , this tow hook is for another boat I built, it is all made from standard K&S brass profiles.

Peter

bogstandard

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 05:15:59 AM »
Peter,

All this shows that you are a true artisan in what you make, and I am sure everyone on here agrees with me.

It can take many years to make a model boat to the standards you are working to, but even after all the hard work is covered up with paint, you will still know in your own mind that you have produced a masterpiece in miniature, and because you have shown us all on here, we will know as well. Keep up the good work.

So that is two specialities you have under your belt, model boat making, and modifying a machine to CNC. Is there anything else you are going to surprise us with?

Maybe a bit of that Scouse humour should be thrown in as well, but please, if you do, keep it family friendly, not like the rough stuff you force me to laugh and groan at.

I also know Peter has a knack of finding the cheapest bits for projects on the internet, maybe you would like to share a few links on what you have found so far, and pop them into the resources topic, so that we can all benefit from your experiences. Peter reduced my ball raced bearings costs by half, by showing me a link to a far eastern bearing supplier.

That now makes four skills. Any more?, or is that enough for now.

John

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 12:48:56 PM »
The tug is 34 1/2 long that makes it 1/ 30 scale  an odd size but I loked the look of the hull and as it has steam power I orefer fiberglass than plank on frame as there is a bit more space, I cannot make them to big as my wife has to do the lifting of them,
Brass_Machine the picture is for you as you said you like brass , this tow hook is for another boat I built, it is all made from standard K&S brass profiles.

Peter

Peter, that is some nice work. I am impressed  :headbang:

I have a soft spot for maritime. I once owned a 42' lobster boat that we used for a sea urchin business off the Maine coast. Plus my father was a Navy man. Steam ships and old school aviation are one of things that does it for me.

Anyway, Peter... very glad to have you aboard our little message board. I really like your work.

Have you seen John Bently's site yet? He is working on a Steam Tug as well. According to his site, he has been at it for 20 years.

His happens to be a site of inspiration for me. From what I have seen of yours... you are on par with him. So, I have another inspiration.

Would you like me to host your pictures for you?

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 02:45:54 PM »
Peter, that Brass hook is a work of art in itself and as for the rest ......  :thumbup: ..... I'm truly in awe  :thumbup: thanks for taking the time to show us.

Eric, I've seen John Bentley's site before but thanks for reminding me about it, his work is superb ............... and the "Miniature Compound Miter Saw" is just an inspiration to us all  :med:

CC

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 07:43:25 PM »
Yes I look on John Bentley's site every so often , he has some amazing stuff on there . only problem is I dont go in the workshop for a week after seing his builds and craftsmanship.

Peter

Offline MONAHAN STEAM MODELS

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 09:05:46 PM »
Hi Peter,

Wow, your Tug is amazing.  :clap:

The brass skylight was already amazing and then you added the opening and closing mechanism! It is very nice indeed. The towing hook is a work of art too!

You are  a true craftsman!

How long have you been building this tug?

Nick

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 09:47:47 PM »

You are  a true craftsman!

Here Here! We agree with that statement!

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 10:08:48 PM »
Hi Nick I have been building it on and of for about 6 years but every so often I get a bit of info and alter it , I have just re made the superstucture and the engine room vent in the last year , also as I find better ways of doing something I alter it , I am in no rush to finnish it its just something I work on every so often , It is steam powerd but unfortunatly not by one of your nice plants, its got a Gemini in it with abc , all the brass fittings for the boat are compleat there are a few trays of them, it realy just needs the latest few mods and paint, and thats prob why its taken so long as I hate paint and am prob altering things so I dont have to do it. thanks for the Kind words Gents

peter

bogstandard

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 11:46:55 PM »
This bit is way  :offtopic: but I would like to say Hi to Nick.

How about showing us a bit on those little engines you make.

We don't mind a bit of publicity for you, and I am sure the members would love to see them.

Even if it makes us drool over the keyboard and blow up our PC's.

John

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 01:24:25 AM »
Peter:-

Thanks for showing use your work, your making an absolute wonderful model a real craftsman job.
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers
 :wave:

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline MONAHAN STEAM MODELS

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 10:00:08 PM »
Hi Peter and John,

Peter,

The tug is really looking great! I have a soft spot for steam tugs. I was drooling over all the details in the pictures last night. Like a true addict, I have to ask, do you have any more pictures?

That is great news that you have both the Gemini and ABC unit for a steam plant. This makes for a very dependable and powerful propulsion unit that will give you trouble free operation for many many years as I am sure you already know. You really can't go wrong with Cheddar's steam plants. They are popular for a reason!

I would really hate to see paint on all those beautiful brass bits and pieces you have so meticulously crafted. I personally can't stand painting, almost as much as I hate having to strip paint off of something!

Keep up the great work and please keep the progress pictures coming!

John,

Great to hear from you.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I will try to post some pictures of the engines else where on the forum. I don't want to hijack this thread.

:beer:

Nick