Author Topic: humming fly wheel  (Read 18196 times)

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
Re: humming fly wheel
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2011, 01:48:44 PM »
Hi Pete,

Wasn't going to have any spokes on the flywheel.

I've sorted it out thanks, works quite well :)

DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline doubletop

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2011, 03:37:58 PM »
David

If you've got it working you realise it needs a video then..............

Pete

Offline DaveH

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2011, 04:42:42 PM »
doubletop,

What I do is when the flywheel is going round I stand next to it and hum, no particular tune just a single tone hum.  :)

It would be a terrible video to watch, I really could not subject any of  you to such visual torment.

:beer:

DaveH

Offline doubletop

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2011, 06:42:56 PM »
doubletop,

What I do is when the flywheel is going round I stand next to it and hum, no particular tune just a single tone hum.  :)

Oh go on; we've all seen much worse on YouTube

Pete

Offline picclock

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2011, 11:12:08 AM »
Hi

I have no experience of this but .. .

to create a note by airflow a thin membrane with a resonant chamber is normally required. If you look at a clarinet or wind instrument they use reeds, brass instruments use the upper lip of the player. Spinning tops hum because air drawn in at the centre resonates inside the cavity, before being expelled at the edge, kinda like a mouth organ.

So IMHO you need airflow and a thin membrane or reed to create the sound and a cavity. Sound can be created by cavity resonance, without a reed, blowing over the top of a glass milk bottle, but the conditions for this are not easily set up and are fairly critical, also your flywheel will have to have a very large cavity to get into the audible range, which for maximum sensitivity needs to be around the 100 to 3000 Hz range.

At 100 rpm I don't think there will be sufficient pressure, even at the circumference. Even a spinning top has to be running at speeds well in excess of that.

However I think it may be possible to cheat  ::)

By attaching small magnets to the outer part of the flywheel it should be possible to cause a sheet of card or fibreglass to act as a sounding board with a magnet or metal piece attached to it. Alternately, if you make the outside of the flywheel castellated (or just aluminium with steel inserts) you can just use a single magnet attached to the sounding board.  Obviously the tone will change frequency with the speed of rotation giving the illusion that the wheel is humming. If the sounding board is tuned to resonate at say 200 Hz this would make the sound fade as the speed reduced.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Best Regards

picclock
Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline websterz

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2011, 03:38:34 PM »
Pull the drum and pin assembly out of an old wind up music box and mount it on the flywheel axle.  :dremel:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline doubletop

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2011, 03:39:24 PM »
I see support for the cardboard and peg solution is gathering pace. Picclock's version is just a bit more elegant and he has done a good job in justifying it.

Edit

And Webertz proposal is a more elegant version of Bogs suggestion of a bell.

Pete
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 03:41:38 PM by doubletop »

Offline Imagineering

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2011, 05:41:36 PM »
This is a Steam/Air Engine right?
So, we have a stream of compressed Steam/Air at the Exhaust right?
So, why not Drill a series of Axial Holes in the Rim of the Flywheel and direct the Exhaust at the Holes?
It may very well whistle, rather than hum, but I guess that any noise will do, right?
It may also be possible to drill a series of Radial Holes around the periphery of the Flywheel to achieve the same effect?

Murray.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 06:26:17 PM by Imagineering »

Offline DaveH

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2011, 06:20:16 AM »
Murray,

A bit of clever thinking there :D Might work.

It's finger operated engine :doh: for the grandkids.

Nevertheless I like the idea, I may not be able to use it the finger engines but for an air engine it would be cool. :clap: :clap: :clap:

:beer:
DaveH