Author Topic: Best place to get a good new motor for my Myford ML10  (Read 11792 times)

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
Best place to get a good new motor for my Myford ML10
« on: March 28, 2011, 06:58:18 PM »
Hi i recently bought a ML10 the Lathe looks great but the motor looks like it came off a washing machine after it had had a long life . so I was wondering where is the best place to get a good motor fo it, I have seen them on ebay but was wondering where and what to buy

thanks for any help

peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline cuog

Re: Best place to get a good new motor for my Myford ML10
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 07:03:28 PM »
I've had good luck with surpluscenter.com for a motor for my taig.  They do ship internationally though I couldn't tell you what the cost would be to get it across the pond. 

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 07:36:27 PM »
Peter, where are you located ?
John Stevenson

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 07:52:10 PM »
Peter, you might consider doing what I did to my Dore Westbury mill/drill ( http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=2693.0 ) and haunt Fleabay to find a faulty treadmill/running machine. These have 1 or 2HP DC motors, and variable speed controls. The speed control boards are usually too unwieldy, but a nice compact one from KB Electronics (in the US, but they have UK dealerships - cost around £70) can be used.

A 1 or 2HP motor is overkill for a small machine tool like your lathe or my mill, where 1/3HP would be enough, but at least the motor never gets warm. The ability to vary speed by turning a knob rather than fiddling with pulleys is very convenient. In choosing a motor pulley, regard should be had to Myford's recommended max spindle speed, which for a plain bearing ML10 is only about 800rpm, I think. My motor does about 1400 rpm, when the speed control is wound up to maximum.

Andy

Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 01:07:03 AM »
Peter, where are you located ?

Rainhill, Merseyside

just by where the trials where.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephenson's_Rocket

was he a reletive ?   :scratch:

Peter

Offline slowcoach

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 03:53:29 PM »
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 02:18:28 PM by slowcoach »

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 04:49:12 PM »
With a few notable exceptions, I have found washing machine motors to often be of quite good quality and far from worn out when the washer gets to the tip.  If I had a machine of not recent years I would be quite happy to fit a nice washing machine motor for that 'period' look.  Of course a wipe over and maybe a lick of paint might be in order.

Now here is a photo from Lathes.UK showing the ML10 bearing what looks exactly like a washing machine motor.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 04:52:00 PM by John Hill »
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 05:05:42 PM »
I think you will find that Peter is after a new compatible motor that isn't held back by the grossly overpriced Myford name, which doubles the cost of everything involved with them.

I might be able to help, so if you see me on Skype, give me a call.

John

If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 07:09:29 PM »
I think you will find that Peter is after a new compatible motor that isn't held back by the grossly overpriced Myford name, which doubles the cost of everything involved with them.

I might be able to help, so if you see me on Skype, give me a call.

John

I agree entirely, so if he were to look under my bench he could choose a motor just like the one in the Myford picture which would have come from a washing machine. Did they not sell thousands of those motors for various utility purposes in the UK?

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 12:03:11 AM »
Actually John, the motor you see in the picture might look like a washing machine motor, but it is in fact far from it.

That is a rather expensive fully enclosed motor with bearing lube points and mounted on a bracket that has resilient rubber mounts surrounding the motor ball races.

If they were mounted into washing machines over here, it would most probably be cheaper to buy a new washing machine, take the motor out and then throw the rest down the tip.

But unfortunately, the type of motors we get here mounted into white goods are a lot less desireable. Fully open windings, just the place for swarf to settle into.

John
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 03:55:29 AM »
Actually John, the motor you see in the picture might look like a washing machine motor, but it is in fact far from it.

That is a rather expensive fully enclosed motor with bearing lube points and mounted on a bracket that has resilient rubber mounts surrounding the motor ball races.

If they were mounted into washing machines over here, it would most probably be cheaper to buy a new washing machine, take the motor out and then throw the rest down the tip.

But unfortunately, the type of motors we get here mounted into white goods are a lot less desireable. Fully open windings, just the place for swarf to settle into.

John
John, you exactly described the type of motor that was fitted to washing machines made in NZ, fully enclosed, rubber mounts on the bearing housings, oil cups on some.  They also had a handy plate over the terminals with instructions inside how to connect for reverse running which would obviously be just the bee's knees for mounting on a lathe.  Most common size was 1/4" horse but I have also seen 1/3.  Made in the UK.  Even this old washing machine,

which seems to have lasted 30 years, will surely have one of the motors you describe.

Yes, I know the open frame type as were fitted to the 'Hoovermatic' aka 'Tanglermatic' twin tub machines that somehow got past our import licencing restrictions of the time.

lordedmond

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 05:00:16 AM »
Machinemart do a range of motors

You will only need a 1/2 hp or 3/4 hp for that lathe

I/2 hp 4 pole ( 1500 rpm ) single phase   72 squid

That is the correct speed a 2 pole would double the speeds ( motor speed is 3000 rpm )

Stuart

Offline mike os

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 07:53:08 AM »
plenty on ebay.....
Political correctness is a doctrine,  ... which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 03:40:57 PM »
Depending on your cash reserves, you could go to a vfd....
I got a package from Drives Direct for my Chester 9*20 for under £170...(3/4 hp motor and vfd controller..)
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 08:48:20 PM »
thank you all for the help I like the inverter idea as i will be able to alter the speed without changing belts all the time, there is a member on hear who has offerd some good advice so I will wait to se what he can do first,
thank you all again but if there are any other leads please let me know

:ddb:  :ddb: Peter  :ddb:  :ddb:

:nrocks:

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 06:45:50 AM »
Well I bit the bullit and bought a new set up from Newton-Tesla which I found was only about 10 miles up the road,( and most of that is motorway) great people to deal with got a fulltour and shown what there products did even though he thought I was only going to buy a motor ,
the motor is 1/2 hp instead of the norm 1/3 hp so i hope it is not going to be a problem but as it is very controlerbale it should make it a loat easyer to use, I have also finnaly goty the lath on it's stand and leveled but I will have to re level when motor is fitted. so should soon be making swalf.

:ddb: :ddb: Peter  :ddb: :ddb:        :nrocks:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 06:49:21 AM by HS93 »

Offline Davo J

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 10:10:40 AM »
Nice looking setup, I am sure you will be more than happy being able to control the speed by a knob. It's something I would like to do with my lathe.
It's great when you get companies that take some time for their customers. It pays off in the long run with more customers from word of mouth.

Dave

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 03:55:14 PM »
I am sure you will be very happy with that!

I assume that is a 3 phase motor and it is resilient mounted just like the original motor, that should be a really smooth runner.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 04:30:06 PM »
Nice set up you have there Peter  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :dremel:

Rob