The Shop > Finishing

Powder coating - cheap alternative

(1/2) > >>

dickda1:
I have anodized, parkerized and blued metal parts in the past.  The ratio of "satisfaction" to "labor/toxic chemical/hassle" has always been low.  Have found that powder coating is cheap, fast and durable for most of my machine related items.

I use an inexpensive toaster oven to cook on the powder (thereby avoiding certain death from my spouse if I used her oven).

Here is a collet closer that had very rough castings that I re-machined and coated.

Dick

j45on:
Great looking finish
How do you apply the powder coat ?

Brass_Machine:
I have an elcheapo powder gun kit... I have gotten well past my money worth out of it  :headbang: I agree with you Dick.  :beer:

Eric

DeereGuy:
It looks great...I have the Harbor Freight gun and powder.

dickda1:
I ground the cast iron supports to remove the worst of the casting flash and filled in most of the inclusions with some body putty.  I am way too lazy to do more.  My ultra cheapo Harbor Freight gun was used with discount powder (SpeckledGreen  from ColumbiaCoatings.com - $7/lb).

The large steel ring had more than .03 inch of runnout.  I mounted it on the lathe and turned it true.  Sprayed the powder on the part in a small cardboard box.  Everything was cooked in my toaster oven at high for 20 minutes.

Powder coating is very durable and covers my not so smooth machined finish.  I have no concern that the finish will wear off.

By the way my 12x24" lathe is not only bolted to its stand, but also attached with steel cables to the wall.  San Francisco has had some pretty good earthquakes in the 35 years I have lived here.

Dick

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version