Author Topic: Pamper your tools in a cosy drawer space!  (Read 236080 times)

Offline 75Plus

Re: Pamper your tools in a cosy drawer space!
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2013, 10:25:22 AM »
Just a thought....  unless your shop is a "Clean Room" you might want to go with a dark colored fabric. I made my first one (shown on page 1 of this thread) from a black tee shirt. After 2 plus years of use it still looks good. It is stained but you don't notice it!!

Joe

Offline ctim2008

« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2013, 11:27:30 AM »
I think my two biggest mistakes came from never having worked with the foam. I think the fabric probably got tight because I really rushed filling it with the foam. I didn't realize how much time I had to work with the foam. I think that my rushing to get it done as fast as possible made me perhaps put the board on too soon without allowing for extra fabric in the corners. Next time I make it I'm going to take my time and really place the foam where I want it and make sure that it stays in that area when I pat it down. I will also be using a black t-shirt :) and way more than 20lbs of weight when I do set the boards on.
Also, I used the t-shirt as a double layer, so once the foam was all cured and I was cutting off the excess I realized that none of the foam was touching the second layer. At that point I just pulled the second layer off all together. Maybe that left it with the appearance of being much tighter?

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2013, 01:56:48 PM »
I think it is time I made another one as I must confess I really only ever made that very first one which I used to demonstrate the idea!

If the foam is polyurethan, as mine is, it is set by moisture (water) and it may be an advantage to use a damp fabric but I  have not experimented with that.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Noitoen

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2013, 05:12:48 AM »
If you going to use on sensitive equipment, you can wrap it in kitchen shrink film.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2015, 10:43:39 PM »
Hi MadModders

This is an old topic. It is also the most read topic on the MadModder Forum with a total of 79,147 reads.

It goes to show that all ideas, big and small have a place in the forum and are still being read by guests and new members and a few old timers like me.

:D :) :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2015, 02:23:48 AM »
It would be great to see a few that people have done!
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline steampunkpete

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2015, 02:25:58 AM »
Not so much a post, more a way of life!

A great idea.

Some sets of tools come in blow-moulded cases that don't last very long. I see scope for this technique in the making of replacement cases.