The Shop > Composites & Plastics

Question for the musical instrument makers ?

(1/2) > >>

PTsideshow:
I have a question about the material that is sold on Stewmac and Warmouth sites. For pick guard material, it is referred to as Rigid sheet PVC or vinyl rigid sheet. Googling brings up every thing, including Stemac's and a number of other music instrument sites that sell it. Most being semi rigid sheets goods for wall covering.

Is it a laminated Sintra type product PVC closed cell expanded foam sheet, or an ABS laminated engraving sheet goods. As that is the only material that seems to have 2 or 3 ply's.

Somebody I know has access to a small pneumatic rotary engraving machine. They have an idea that they can paint with the engraver on the sheet goods, but they need larger size sheet's then is sold as pick guard material. So they can be placed in frames, and for kiddie room light swith plate covers.

And I amusing that when it is sold as a pick guard material it is sold at a premium.

The custom building sites, aren't much help either. As they talk about using floor tile and just about anything else as a pick guard material.
Any suggestions would be appreciated, to cut down the buy and try it learning curve. And they don't have a lot of extra cash right now.

Bluechip:
Hi PT

Not quite sure what PVC you want, but I get it from an engineering plastics supplier ... like this lot ..

http://www.directplasticsonline.co.uk/PVC_Sheet.html

Certainly would not suggest you get the stuff from UK..

Might give you a pointer for a US source..

Dave BC

PTsideshow:
Thanks that is one of types that I have nope I agree with you. The place I get it is so close i get most items the next afternoon  :clap: Being one of those people the only musical instrument that I play is the Ipod I'm at a disadvantage as far as knowing some body that has even a clue around here  :thumbup:

Blade:
Check with New Hermes, they sell patograph engravers and also all of the materials I believe for making signs and door plates.

http://www.gravograph.us/engraving-products/Gravoply_1.php

Blade:
Are you looking for layered material or fake tortoise shell type?

If they want solid colors G10 may work, G10 is the same as pc board and you can buy a rainbow of colors from knife suppliers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version