Author Topic: Concrete bench sighted......  (Read 15950 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Re: Concrete bench sighted......
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2011, 06:02:27 AM »
John, it is a really fine looking bench. It sure looks more susbtantial then my efforts of a wooden bench I`ve just put together. Thanks for posting, it has been an interesting read knowing nothing about concrete!

I look forward to pictures of the bench when the lathe is on it and ready for action. Good luck with the rest of the process!

Chris

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Re: Concrete bench sighted......
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2011, 02:01:57 AM »
I got up early and went down to hire the load skates and pallet truck I will need when they deliver my nice new concrete machine bench for my workshop.

There was a bit of snow on the ground and almost no traffic at 7:30.  I got to try my ABS brakes for the first time since I have had the ute (i.e. 1999) and they seemed to work just fine!  I phoned the concrete place to see if they were still on for 9:00 to be told the workers had all gone home because of the snow!  Too dangerous to drive the crane he said,  WTH?  My little old RWD ute can handle the conditions but a 10 ton crane truck can not!   Well I guess they did the right thing because if the workers had stayed at the yard all day they might have had a problem getting home tonight.

We do not usually get snow, this is my old home town and I dont recall more than about three snowfalls in my childhood but a few years ago they had it up to the window sills and year or so before they were snowed in so bad they lost power and all the telephone towers etc run their batteries flat.  Not something I want to experience as we have an all electric house.

There is one highway north and one south and the alternative routes are hundreds of kilometres detours.  The north road has a narrow bridge that is 1.1 miles long and we just do not have the infrastructure to handle 3ft of snow on that so when it blocks it just stays blocked till it clears naturally
From the den of The Artful Bodger