Author Topic: Skype  (Read 94811 times)

bogstandard

Over the last couple of weeks I have been putting my new ISP and email accounts thru their paces, and I decided to reconnect my Skype connection which had been turned off for the last couple of months.

Within half an hour of being online I got my first call from a person in the UK, I have never talked or seen him before, but had communicated thru an associated website to this one, of which I am no longer a member. Whilst on that call, another one chirped in, from our one and only Cedge. Unable to make the setup for a conference call, I had to tell him to call back later.

Eventually a few minutes later we were talking like good friends, only ever having communicated by email or PM.
Steve could see my ugly mush, but unfortunately, because he doesn't have a webcam, I was just talking to a voice. He even got introduced to the now famous Bandit. It makes the experience a whole lot more personal.

The world has shrunk since the introduction of little internet devices and programs such as this, and to me has opened up a whole new world of friends and aquaintances, who only a few years ago could only be communicated with by very expensive telephone calls or snail mail and more recently emails and PM's.

The other advantage is that by using Skypeout and making a small payment into Skype credit, you can contact almost anywhere in the world to a landline telephone, using your computer, for only a couple of pennies a minute. I regularly called my friend in Moscow for an hour at a time, until he eventually got Skype, now it costs us nothing, other than a bit of bandwidth useage allowance.

If anyone wants to connect using this method, my skype name is bandit175. But please remember the time differences between continents, but if when you try to connect, it should tell you if I am on line, or just want to be left alone.

Anyone else want to join in the fun, just append your skype name to this topic.

If anyone wants to do it, but thinks they can't, ask and all your questions will hopefully be answered. It is very cheap to set up, in the UK, about £10 - £15 will get you the bits to start talking and sending live video.

John

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Skype
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 04:26:07 PM »
How true John. I have friends all over the world now. Some of them I am closer to than the ones in real life. I will get a Skype account shortly.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 04:43:17 PM »
It was nice to get the chance to speak with John. I'm not quite sold on the camera yet.... especially after seeing his mug on screen. I'd almost feel guilty for inflicting my own on anyone...LOL I'm on Skype as Cedge111.

Steve

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 04:50:11 PM »
It was nice to get the chance to speak with John. I'm not quite sold on the camera yet.... especially after seeing his mug on screen. I'd almost feel guilty for inflicting my own on anyone...LOL I'm on Skype as Cedge111.

Steve

Yeah, I feel the same about my mug on the PC. But, I have your phone number anyway Steve!

Eric
Science is fun.

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 08:10:02 PM »
Eric,

Can't wait to get into a face to face.

Steve,

Never be ashamed of what you look like, you can't help it, and besides it isn't your fault, blame your parents.  :clap: :clap:

But getting away from the ribbing, when you read a post, you can now see it in a different light, because you can physically imagine the person doing the job, even down to the swearing when they drop a blooper.

John

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 08:41:29 PM »
 :offtopic:

Your signature John reminds me of a saying I used to use...

He has 10 braincells... but only 2 of them work at any one time!

Eric
Science is fun.

bogstandard

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 09:00:12 PM »
As you get older Eric, it gets more difficult to jump start them in the morning. :zap:

Thankfully, breathing and heartbeat are an instinctive reflex, if I relied on my brain cell, I would be pushing up daisies by now.

John

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 10:07:07 PM »
John
It helps if you take a wire brush to your battery post and remove the corrosion.  :dremel:

Steve

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 03:53:16 AM »
Bloody hell, that does sound painful.  :thumbup:

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 05:55:42 AM »
I talk to a guy an Aus with Skype, not only is it free, the quality beats the regular phone every time...

I do wonder though with all this demand for free, where it will all end...?
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 09:20:55 PM »
Stickied this topic!

Eric
Science is fun.

bogstandard

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 03:01:45 AM »
The other early morning after another sleepless night, Skype chirped up and Steve (Cedge) was on the other end.

Thru Skype, he had noticed I was up and about and decided to give me a call.

There was my wife and myself, in our dressing gowns at 4am in the morning, the wife making coffee, me talking to a chap about all sorts of things, whom I have never met in person, and on another continent.

Now if that isn't a good enough reason to get yourself onto Skype, I don't know what is.

John

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 12:51:17 PM »
John,

What all does this entail, such as do you need a camera, mic, special board, software?

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

bogstandard

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 01:20:42 PM »
Bernd,

You can get away with just a cheap webcam with a built in mike and Download Skype, which is free.

Doing it that way you listen thru your PC speakers.

I have a cheap set of headphones with a small boom mike, that way it doesn't annoy the rest of the family by having it coming over the speakers, just me talking to myself in the corner.

Skype can do all the settings for you, and even has a test where you can check out your webcam and mike.

You should be able to do it for under 20 bucks.

You can do it without the cam, just a headset with a mic.

John

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 04:33:14 AM »
Hi John

This skyp thing looks usefull I've had a head set for some time and down loaded skyp onto my machine I've conected the head set:---------------what know.   :zap:

Help

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

bogstandard

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 05:10:47 AM »
Hi Stew,

Run Skype. If you go to the tools tab at the top, and click on options. That allows you to set it up just how you like it. Go to sound devices and tick both boxes. At the bottom of the sound devices you will see a link saying make a test call. If you click on that, you can find out if you headset mic and speakers are set up OK.

If you can hear everything after your test, close down the tab and select the contacts tab. Go to search for Skype users. All should then be self explanatory.

If you see someone on line, click on their name, ask them to allow you to call them, and away you go.

John

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2009, 05:38:30 AM »
Wow it works

Just tested it out on John:- what a shock  :zap: there he was sitiing at his machine having breakfast.

What a great bit of kit.  :headbang: :headbang:

Stew

bogstandard

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 05:42:36 AM »
A cup of coffee and a fag isn't breakfast Stew.

So you now know how easy it can be.

John

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 11:44:56 AM »
John...
You've never been to San Francisco....LOL

Steve

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
John...
You've never been to San Francisco....LOL

Steve

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Science is fun.

bogstandard

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2009, 01:03:52 PM »
Just for those that don't know, a fag in the UK is a cigarette.

No wonder I am getting some strange comments, and getting the mickey taken, and no, I don't have that sort of lean.

Bogs

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2009, 02:18:06 PM »
John
I once went for drinks with a crew I did business with. Among the group was a young guy fresh from the UK who was here doing some sort of equipment support for the company. A local "beach club" was the chosen watering hole. A beach club is something of an inland  "Myrtle Beach" experience, sans the salt water and sand.

The local girls caught his accent, making him real popular... real fast. After his first dance, he returned blushing and confused. The longer we stayed, the more confused he looked, as each time a girl asked him to dance. You see..... the mainstay of a beach club is a dance called "The Shag". It's a bit like a jitterbug, but a bit slower and more relaxed.

Someone in the group finally disabused the poor chap of his fantasy that every girl in the place was trying to get in his knickers. For a while there he was convinced that the USA was indeed a land of unimaginable opportunity.

Two peoples separated by a common language...

Steve

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2009, 11:48:08 AM »
I've got a web cam I bought back a while ago. Will have to see if I can find it and see if it will hook up to my more recent computer.

So will look into as time permits. Thanks for the info.

Bernd

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2009, 12:47:51 PM »
I don't have that sort of lean.

Bogs

I usually lean on the lathe, the mill, in fact anything that's handy.

JS
John Stevenson

bogstandard

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2009, 01:33:08 PM »
Ahah! John,

The standard machininst position, ar*e on the drip tray, rolling a fag (cigarette).

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2009, 09:45:22 AM »
Ahah! John,

The standard machininst position, ar*e on the drip tray, rolling a fag (cigarette).

Ya know John, that statement is pretty funny. Sure would be a surprise for somebody that doesn't understand English.

A drip tray and rolling a fag in the same sentence.  :lol:  :lol:

Ok back to machining.  :)

Bernd

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2009, 03:24:21 AM »
Sitting here at work waiting for a co-worker to get his head out of his "arse".. 3:20AM.. supposed to be gone a hour ago.. and Im smiling ear to ear.

I find it awesome that some of you who profess in different threads to be fairly.. beginner... at computers, and or not an expert etc. Are talking on Skype, and using webcams etc.

I think the world has come a long way.. for the best because of the PC.. and how the nerds who used to use them.. are now the minority once again. And everyone.. from Nerd to those who have zero experience.. can all do the same things on a PC. With a fair amount of ease.

I think back on the movies when a kid.. and people were talking on phones across the world with a picture.

Shoot for that matter I remember SEEING phones that they advertised had a screen, and a camera. I think 2001 a space oddesy for that matter had them didnt it?

Love it

I have Skype also. when I get home, if I dont fall over from exhaustion I will put my info in here :)
SPiN Racing

bogstandard

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2009, 04:49:51 AM »
I am no whizz kid, I just let Skype do it for me, with only minor input from myself.

Things like this are now getting much easier, with programs to set up programs.

A few of us are having problems with it, but I think that is to do with how we set up our microphones etc. just minor problems.

I know I am having great difficulty with one member, he is using satellite broadband, but we just can't manage to connect properly. Maybe it is to do with the footprint of the satellite, as he has no trouble with another member who comes from the US.

Keep persevering and we will succeed.

John

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2009, 05:15:02 AM »
Hi I use Skype a lot its set up on two pc's hear , we talk on a regular basis to aus as my son lives there and we can only get him via a mobile, this only costs about 11p a min its more expensive to call some one in the uk.
back to the mikes I use a logitech desk mike and the pc's speakers as when we call him we both want to talk to him and hear him ,its ok as long as you place the spekers so as not to get echo, we dont get any at all and the qualitey is far better than BT, I have put the spekers behind the monitor (flat screen ) and  pointing toward the centre of the back of the monitor. this stoped all the echo and there is no problem at whatever level you want the soun (within reason) on the othere machine my wife uses a cheap hand set that looks like a mobile phone but with a curley lead. this works very well as my wife would moan if it didnt. this mike was half the price when I bought it from e-buyer.I have also used a few old sound card mikes , they where not that good but worked but needed a lot of fiddling

Peter

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/webcam_communications/microphones/&cl=gb,en
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 05:24:21 AM by HS93 »
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2009, 05:22:14 AM »
one other thing I find handy is texting to mobiles on skype all you do is set it up with your mobile number and you can send from your pc with a nice big keyboard and replys come to your mobile. :poke:

peter

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2009, 06:01:50 AM »
I've had problem setting up skype getting the mike to work tried two head sets, both didn't work, I think the problem is with the computer. In the processes this week end of setting up a new machine, so will give it another try.

Cheers

Stew

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2009, 06:27:10 AM »
Get a usb mike.

Peter

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2009, 10:44:29 AM »
Ok you Skype users. I just got my system set up and hopefully it works.

John, I've already sent you the first message. I'll be on around 5:30pm my time. I assume it'll be 10:00pm your time or would that be 11:00pm because we set our clocks back one hour in fall?

Yeah, this would help to, my users name: shay1951

Regards,
Bernd

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2009, 09:43:04 AM »
Did a bit of searching in the "Help" file in Skype. Found that you can have up to 24 people in a conferrence. There are two ways to do it. Before you call high light the people you want to include in the conference and then call or start with two people and the just add other people as they come on. There is an add button on the upper right that allows you to do that.

I tried it off line with John and Steve. I stoped short of clicking the video button. Now all that needs to be done is give it a try.

Bernd

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2009, 05:08:38 PM »
Hi Bernd

I got skype working when I changed over to a mac  hope you don't mind if I add you to my contacts

Cheers

Stew

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2009, 06:44:08 PM »
Please do. :thumbup:

I'm always interested in seeing the mug of a memeber.  :D

Bernd

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2009, 05:45:46 AM »
Bernd

Can't seem to find your skype name tried advance search for US no luck. my skype name is sbwhart:- yes I know its not very origonal.

The sbw comes from my nick name when I was an apprentice Standard British Whitworth, don't ask me why its was just one of those things.

:lol:

Cheers

Stew

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2009, 10:17:36 AM »
Stew,

I found yours and sent you mail.

Here's my Skype name again in case you typed it wrong.    shay1951

Bernd

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2009, 11:59:31 AM »
OK Bernd got you this time
  :thumbup:
Cheers

Stew

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2009, 10:47:12 PM »
Note to All

Today I got a notice in my emails saying that my skype account was in trouble and I better click here to fix it.  :doh:

I Don't have skype so I know that is a lie. It is just a phishing expedition trying to get other information from you. It looks pretty good and might lure in someone that actually had skype.

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

bogstandard

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2009, 11:26:57 PM »
Don,

Skype is now starting to advertise on the television. I only noticed it starting this week.

It might be a mail shot from Skype or it's subsiduaries, using email addresses from gathering agencies, or even your own ISP, offering you membership of Skype.

I use a program called Mailwasher, where I can read my emails while they are still sitting in the pigeon hole at my ISP. I can then decide whether I want it to come down to my machine or just delete/bounce it from where it is sitting. Doing it that way, I don't have to use the ISP crap filters, which can sometimes delete genuine emails.

Just to put your mind at rest, I have never had one bit of trouble with Skype, except of course, not enough people are using it, or only use it once or twice, then turn it off.

Bogs

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2009, 01:30:15 AM »
John

Here is the text of the message that I received.

Start Quote
Dear valued Skype member:

It has come to our attention that your Skype account informations needs to be
updated as part of our continuing commitment to protect your account and to
reduce the instance of fraud on our website. If you could please take 5-10 minutes
out of your online experience and update your personal records you will not run into
any future problems with the online service.

However, failure to update your records will result in account suspension.
Please update your records on or before Mar 30, 2009.

you are requested to update your account informations at the following link.

**Link was here** which I left out

*Important*
We have asked few additional information which is going to be the part of secure login process. These additional information will be asked during your future login security so, please provide all these info completely and correctly otherwise due to security reasons we may have to close your account temporarily.
End quote

Since I don't have Skype the above made me suspicious. I have read how you and several of the lads use it and will probably get skype someday so I can drop in on you and check up and see what you guys have been up to since my ancestors left 150 some years ago.

Cheers :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

bogstandard

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2009, 02:10:25 AM »
Don,

That is definitely a phishing email. In Outlook, just do the twice delete to get rid of it permanently.

Hope to chat sometime. I am usually awake and available between about 7pm and 10pm your east coast time. Unless I am writing up a post, then I turn off.

John

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2009, 08:23:42 PM »
Figured I would add in here as im on Skype often. My name is zeusrekning. Feel free to hit me up.

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2009, 10:48:30 PM »
YAY got my stuff set up. Im spinracing on Skype. Very inventive name huh?
SPiN Racing

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2009, 11:20:55 AM »
Hi everyone, I recently bought by 70+ year old parents into the computer world and have them up on the internet.  While doing so Skype was one of the programs I added to their pc and mine.  It's works great and we can video conference.

Anyway my Skype name is boba1618.  If you have Skype feel fee to add me can call anytime you'd like.  Looking forward to talking to you.

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2009, 02:03:59 PM »
Right, ................ you lot have dragged me ....... "kicking and screaming" ......... :smart:....... into the 21st century; I've downloaded and registered with Skype ........... CrewCab101 ................ though at present I haven't got a head set or a web cam ("praise be to the gods" I hear in the distance ) .............. OK give me a few days and I'll get there  :thumbup:

CC

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2009, 08:16:25 PM »
Hey CC welcome to the world of skype.  I use it with just voice a lot of the times.

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2009, 07:37:21 PM »
Okay, I just bought a webcam.  Got that working, but I don't see anyone posting contact info.  How do you go about finding people, without having to type in every name individually?
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2009, 09:07:23 PM »
Arlet mine is posted in my sig..
boba1618

bogstandard

« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2009, 02:07:54 AM »
Hi Roger,

There are two ways to trace contacts, the first being with their skype name, the second being their email address.

I just traced you by seeing you have email enabled, clicked to send you an email and got your address from that.

In about 1 minute I had you in my contact list, and have sent you a message for when you come back online with skype.

Skype name - bandit175 (all lower case and all one word)

Bogs

Offline Stefan Pynappels

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2009, 04:51:09 PM »
I use Skype a lot for work, so my handle is rather boring, stefan.pynappels

bogstandard

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2009, 04:35:46 AM »
I am just trying to resurrect the Skype contact scheme, and bring it to new members attention.

It really is a great way to get to know people, and also to solve a technical issue where you might be embarrassed to display it on the site, or can't describe it in text. One to one is usually a better way than trying to understand it in a posting.

It seems that after the initial flurry, it is dying a slow death, and people can't be bothered and very rarely have it switched on.

I have also noticed that a lot of people have their computers and Skype on permanently. There is a setting in Skype that detects if you are using your comp or not. Go to tools, then general settings, it would be a good idea if you could set that up so that after say non use for for 5 or 10 mins, it shows that you are away. When I am up and about late at night, and see that my Skype contacts are online, I don't know whether to call or not, as I might wake someone up from their beauty sleep.

I have a problem in the early hours, when I am up and about a lot, to stop my wife being disturbed by the ringtone, my computer speakers are turned off, and I can't hear the ringtone if I am in the other room. So if you want to call, just send a text, and if I am available I will usually call you straight back. It might show that I am away, but it is worth trying.

So lets get the people on here talking again, it costs you nothing other than a bit of cheap equipment (if you read this topic from the start, it descibes what is needed), and if you don't mind talking to an overweight lathe jockey, with no teeth, and a fag and coffee permanently on the go, get calling.

Bogs

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2010, 03:54:14 PM »
Hi Troops

Having:

(1) Found out that Skype is not some awful Medieval Disease, probably around the groin region .. and

(2) Having purchased a webcam/mike for the vast sum of £4.99p ...

I am now on SKYPE as bchip_s7

So now what ?

All tarted up, and no-where to go ...  :(     again ....

Dave BC

I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline DABIRDGUY

• glennsplace.com
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2010, 09:38:03 AM »
I am dabirdguy on Skype (and most other internet places like the HAMB and allmetalshaping.com.

Feel free to give me a call if you would like to be asked a lot of dumb questions...LOL

Offline Dave Sohlstrom

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2010, 04:25:53 PM »
Hi all

My skype contact is dave.sohlstrom

Give me a call any time you see me online. I may have answers to questions but they may be dumb ones.

Dave

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2010, 05:26:04 PM »
It was nice to have a chat Dave.

I was a shame you didn't have my address when you dropped into Manchester a few weeks ago, you could have called in for a coffee.

John
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline Dave Sohlstrom

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2010, 05:29:06 PM »
Yes John good meeting and talking with you. Love this Skype. Talking half way around the world for free, can't bet that.

Dave

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2010, 06:39:44 PM »
Is anyone else having trouble logging into Skype?

I had it drop out for a few hours the other day, then this evening, it dropped out again and haven't been able to log in since.

I am wondering if it is being overloaded because of the time of year.

Bogs  AKA bandit175

Skype - bandit175

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2010, 06:50:33 PM »
John...I am having problems also...

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2010, 07:11:13 PM »
yep same problems hear droping out all the time

peter

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 07:44:39 PM by bogstandard »

Skype - bandit175

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2010, 06:05:32 AM »
yep a bit on the bbc site as well   http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12064394  there saying it's continuing I had to use it a 4.30 am this morning and as soon as I loged in it updated again,took ages and I was in a rush to go to bed.very poor audio when I got loged in.

Peter

Offline dickda1

« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2011, 06:11:35 PM »
Just have to note, having been a Skype user for a number of years that I wonder how long Microsoft will take to kill this wonderful app. :(
-Dick
sunny (mostly) San Francisco, land of looney people, sane politics and occasional earthquakes.

Offline Dave Sohlstrom

« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2011, 06:21:25 PM »
Dick

I too have been using Skype for a number of years and really like it. If MS kills it then they will be throughing 8.5 Billion out the window. My guess is that free will go away and we will have to pay to talk.

Dave

Offline Russell Nash

• Obsessive Compulsive Slob
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2011, 11:13:18 AM »
I kind of skimmed the thread, so I don't know if this has been covered yet.  I don't need to look at most of the people I chat with, but I do like to look at their projects.  I will show what I'm working on to people and they can ask me questions about it.  This of course works both ways.  It has helped to solve many problems.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I came, I saw, I stuck around

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
I like seeing the people; it adds another dimension to the links between like-minded lunatics.

I use the messaging feature extensively and have long chats with people, sometimes extending over several days. It is more convenient than e-mail and the occasional quick voice call is a bonus.

I would be happy to link up with any of you blokes.

Jim

Offline Pete49

« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2012, 09:10:51 PM »
Was a long term user until my younger Brother passed away as we always kept in contact. Still have it to make long distance & international calls as its way cheaper than landline charges and if my friends have webcams even better :wave:
I'l try to remember to fire it up when online and see what happens.
Skype name blue_hills picked as it matches the colours the Flinders Ranges go through during the day & evening though getting hard to see with the buildings now getting in the way.
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline ukazak

« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2012, 11:26:40 AM »

hi and all respect  :) :) :)
You guys can chat all you want using Skype,  :beer:  but I think you get yourselves in a big time of trouble,…    :Doh: :Doh: :Doh:

because guys like me,   :D :D :D “the newbie’s” will have the great opportunity,  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: just aim the camera over the machine and call any of you online ask “what are we doing wrong?”  :poke:  :palm: or “how to use a parting tool” etc. Nice,  :nrocks: really!  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: Or maybe you will want to see real time to diagnose the problem,  :coffee: or better yet show “how to do it”… as long as you are available,  :proj: we will keep bothering you.

kind regards,

Unal  :D :D :D

Offline rschilp

« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2012, 11:53:24 AM »
great idea; rob_schilperoort is my skype id, any classic car questions?

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2013, 08:43:40 AM »
You find me under the username - roughedge.se - . =)
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline terrywerm

« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2013, 03:58:10 AM »
I can be found on Skype with the username terrywerm

I am new to Skype, but have been thinking about giving it a try for some time, finally got it all set up. It's a bit different on Windows 8, but I'll get it figured out sooner or later.
Terry

Making chips with old machines

Offline Mayhem

• purveyor of mischief
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2013, 10:58:35 AM »
I get Skype SPAM on a regular basis, so if you ever want to chat to me, please PM me and I will happily give you my Skype ID.  I'd just rather not post it in an open chat...