Author Topic: A really daft question  (Read 15315 times)

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
Re: A really daft question
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2011, 07:53:26 AM »
Hi Folks

Cosidering I have little idea what I'm doing .... I'll poke my 2 pennorth in anyway ..

(1) Bogs reccomends Kennametal tips. I'll second that. I have some CCMT tips ( SECO ?? made in India for sure ) that are considerably cheaper than the Kennametal ones I have. And not without good reason. The ( SECO ?? ) are nowhere near as good. In fact they are very brittle and chip very easily indeed.

(2) Pic attached of some tips I got with the Myford. All I've ever found out about these things is they appear to be made by Walter ( ?? )
As I have about 20 of the things I lashed up a gruesome arrangement to hold them.

They cut like fury on damn near anything ...  :thumbup:

I've looked on Ebay, I've only ever seen one set of tips that look anything like made by Walter, but they were describes as milling tips ..

The tips are 15mm x 9.5 mm.

The only mark is WK 40, this may be the grade.

Dave BC

EDIT The cutting edges are ground. Did have a uScope pic. but it's a .bmp, won't download  :scratch: tried to 'save as' to .gif but it went all crabby ..Ah
well ...

EDIT2 Got a pic up .jpg. Not as good as the original. But t'will have to do ...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 08:12:48 AM by Bluechip »
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2011, 08:24:08 AM »
Dave,

You can in fact get ground ccmt tips, but they are decidedly even more expensive, and are supposedly for giving superior finishes on softer materials such as aluminium.

I think the reason the ones you have shown perform so well is because they have a nice clean radius on them, very similar to the round profile tips that always give a nice finish.

John
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2011, 08:37:39 AM »
John

That's what I found, really impressive on Al, Brass & FCMS. Plus they're great fun on PVC   .. until the PVC ribbon gets into the chuck jaws ..  :lol:

Got about 20 of the tips, but I'd like to know what they were. Done a google on 'WK40', the only marking on them, and the name 'Walter' comes up.

Apart from a load of other irrelevant WK40 tripe, but then, that's google ..  :bang:

Dave

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2011, 09:20:26 AM »
Dave,

By the looks of those tips, and as you say you have about 20, then look at it this way.

That is 40 cutting edges.

They should be able to be easily resharpened about 3 times by gently lapping the faces on a heavyweight steel base diamond lap (not the ones with holes in), so that gives you the equivalent of around 120 cutting edges.

For good lapping plates, either the 600 or 1200 of the top ones on this page. Plenty of water and an easy figure of 8 lapping action for a few seconds

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Diamond-Tools/Diamond-Stones.

Now don't be greedy.

John

Skype - bandit175

Offline Chazz

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2011, 09:43:52 AM »
@Bogs, thanks for the idea, I completely forgot, I have a friend who used to do Lapidary work and has an old Graves MKII(?) faceting machine......I wonder if it could be repurposed?

Cheers,
Chazz
Craftex CT129N Mill & Craftex 9 x 20 CT039 Lathe

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2011, 11:20:42 AM »
Dave,

By the looks of those tips, and as you say you have about 20, then look at it this way.

That is 40 cutting edges.

They should be able to be easily resharpened about 3 times by gently lapping the faces on a heavyweight steel base diamond lap (not the ones with holes in), so that gives you the equivalent of around 120 cutting edges.

For good lapping plates, either the 600 or 1200 of the top ones on this page. Plenty of water and an easy figure of 8 lapping action for a few seconds

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Diamond-Tools/Diamond-Stones.

Now don't be greedy.

John

John

Me? Greedy ? Perish the thought  ...

Anyway, having had an audit, I find I have 27 of the blighters ...  :scratch:

Thanks for the link to Arc. Will have to get a set. Fairly cheap anyway ... :thumbup:

So, what's the process? As I read it you just work on the flat surface ?? Whip a thou or so off, and back in business?

It just so happens, during my audit some other tips came to light.
Far too big for the S7.

TNMG 22 04 08. Six off, each with six cuttery bits. Made by some Cormorant called Sandvik apparently.. must have been a Scandinavian  ::)

Slung 'em in your stuff ..  :thumbup:

Dave BC

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2011, 11:33:05 AM »
Dave,

It only takes a few seconds to lap them sharp again, just make sure you keep an equal overall pressure on them so that they go down equally all over. The diamond will soon take them down.

Thanks for the bits, I will soon find someone that will have a use for them.

John

Skype - bandit175

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2011, 01:17:27 PM »
Hi John

Your'e welcome to the stuff ...  far too grunty for me  :thumbup:

Just found another 4 of those TNMG things ...  ::)

Dave BC