Author Topic: Help needed choosing a new lathe  (Read 5724 times)

Offline Graz

Help needed choosing a new lathe
« on: March 08, 2011, 03:35:54 PM »
I've been looking at Chester and Axminster lathes but can't make my mind up which one.
The Chester comes with 3 & 4 jaw chucks and fixed and traveling steady price£875.83 + vat and delivery
Axminster no extras to speak of, it does have cross power feed Price£934.96 including vat delivery extra.

Chester lathe http://www.chesteruk.net/store/db10_variable_speed_lathe.htm

Axminster  http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-sieg-sc4-metal-bench-lathe-prod715020/?sessionid=ce8d21681f1d70774c23a2612228994cbf54ead4#bottomsection

I will be using it for light engineering, would appreciate your thoughts in comparing the two lathes.

Offline Graz

Re: Help needed choosing a new lathe
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 09:59:56 AM »
Thanks for the replies  :) I've looked at both lathes again today on the web and it's looking like Chester is fav with me at the moment, decisions decisions  :scratch:

Offline j45on

• My tiny workshop Location Ashford Kent
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 10:13:13 AM »
The Chester comet is the same machine as axminsters c4 lathe
It's on offer at the moment to
http://www.chesteruk.net/store/comet_variable_speed_lathe_450mm.htm
I own one if you have any questions.
Jason

Offline Graz

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 10:31:26 AM »
The Chester comet is the same machine as axminsters c4 lathe
It's on offer at the moment to
http://www.chesteruk.net/store/comet_variable_speed_lathe_450mm.htm
I own one if you have any questions.
Thanks for the reply, about £124 difference in price but with the DB10V you get fixed steady, travelling steady, 3 and 4 jaw chuck.
How long have you owned the lathe any problems?

Offline j45on

• My tiny workshop Location Ashford Kent
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 02:03:55 PM »
Graz if you were considering  the axminster c4 then the chester comet is 183 quid cheaper
I have had no problems (touch wood) with my c4/comet but I have never been 100 percent happy with my compound and must get round to making a new gib for it  :hammer:

The DB10 has a bigger chuck and through headstock which will come in handy and a threading dial plus the extras you mentioned but from the picture it looks like it does not have a cam lock tailstock
Unfortunately it does not look like chester have stock of either model

There must be members on here with experience of the DB10 who could point out it's pros and cons ?
Jason

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 02:20:19 PM »
I think the DB10 now has a cam lock tailstock as do the Warco machines. The fixed steady is the more likely of the two to be used and you will soon want the 4jaw so include these items in any overall price you are looking at. Of the two I'd go with the bigger capacity. If Chesters are OS then you could try Warco

Jason
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 02:25:28 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Graz

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 10:53:36 AM »
Thanks again for your input, I've ordered the Chester DB10 as it's good value for the money with all the standard extras, just waiting for a delivery date now :)

Offline Graz

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 04:51:12 PM »
Up date: The lathe arrived today and I'm very impressed with it, turned some 3.5 dia stainless steel and drilled a few holes, not had time to unpack all the bits that came with it. First impressions very happy and all the extras I'll be unpacking for a while  :D

Will up date in a few weeks when It's had some use.