Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Smart and Brown Lathe Crosslide Screw Renewal

(1/8) > >>

Darren:
Another new project for me,

I guess some of you remember me whittling on about my worn crosslide screw on my S&B lathe.

In case you forgot, it looks like this, a little past it's best   :bugeye:

Well I decided to do something about it and purchased a 1M length of 10mm x 2mm pitch Trapezoidal Spindle and a matching tap for cutting the nuts to go with it.
I did consider cutting my own screw thread on the mini lathe, but decided that a it might be a bit ambitious for me at the mo and a proper rolled thread would not only be finished better but last much longer as well.
The original thread on the lathe was 3/8 Acme at 8tpi. I decided to convert to metric for no other reason than I understand it better than imperial. My dials have 100 graduations so no probs there.

Commonly known around these parts as a "Crap-o-CAD"

This is a piece of 20mm 303 SS bar, soon to be the "handle" end of the screw.

Drilled and tapped 8mm 1.25 pitch

Now the screw thread, turned down and threaded 8mm 1.25 pitch to match

Viola.... they fit, not that difficult so far...:thumbup: 

A little bit more work and

As you can see I have made it 2" longer, the slide can take it and I hazard it may come in useful sometime. This lathe originally has a long crosslide but a short screw? not any more it doesn't !!

I still yet have to decide how to fix the threaded section into the "handle" end, locktight, cross pin or braze, maybe just solder will do? Any suggestions chaps?

Also the 3/8 thread needs doing for the slop adjusters, but that will have to wait for the mini lathe to return from the Doc's. Be the first job it'll do.  :dremel:

Well, I hope someone found that interesting.... :D

Darren

Brass_Machine:
Nice start Darren.

Keep the pictures coming!

Eric

John Stevenson:
Why didn't you saw the old end off the knackered screw and stub it into the end of the new thread ?

John S.

Darren:
I did think of that,

But I needed the old one to make the new one, would have been a bit difficult without it.... :thumbup:

Apart from that, the old one has some over sized clearances which I intend to tighten slightly.

Darren

PS, I could have done simply cos other the other tooling I have with this lathe, but, but....do I need an excuse,  :med:

bogstandard:
Darren,

Go the way of belt and braces, cross pin after assembly with a touch of loctite.

No need for anything spectacular.

Measure up a nail (of the hammer it home type), drill hole to same size, put nail thru with a dab of loctite, trim off a bit longer than needed, then wack nail until it swells in hole, clean off the hammered end bits, et voila, one solid fixed end, and if anything untowards happens, the soft pin will shear, without hopefully, any damage to the threads.

You have to read it all in one breath

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version