The Breakroom > The Water Cooler

A Welcome Visitor (Bogs thread relocated)

<< < (2/4) > >>

CrewCab:
That's working fine Eric ............ Cheers  :beer:

CC

bogstandard:
I went in and tried to delete the old post, but it wouldn't let me.

So Eric has done the right thing and moved it.  :mmr:

And just to reply.

There is nothing like the feeling you get when meeting internet buddies, you have never seen the person before, but you already feel as though you have known them for ages. Breaking the ice is a lot easier.

John

Bernd:
Thread hijack.

OK Eric working for me.  :thumbup:

Bernd

Darren:
Thanks Eric,that's much better now.....

Well John, like a kid in a sweetie shop was I? Ha, yep suppose I was. Tools have always fascinated me, so when so many were on display I just couldn't help myself could I... ;D

John was kind enough to demonstrate his new Miller, well you would wouldn't you !! Very impressive machine. Firstly some fly cutting followed with some slot cutting, very nice finish,,,sooo sharp.. :thumbup: Gave me a good chance witness 3 things, speed rate, depth of cut and feed rate. None of which I had much of a clue about.

The lathe was not demonstrated in anger much to the relief of Johns fine collection of metal stock, but having seen it go through the motions one can't fail to see it's potential. John has gone overboard with DRO's, I think he has a fetish with them. However to save his dignity it was clear how well they would serve after a couple of demos. Now it's hard to see how we manage without.
Darn it, never a good idea to see this stuff is it, now all I have in my head is "I want, I want......" One day......

Well that's enough about the tools, and there was much more, I picked up loads of info, got back home with plenty to think about I can tell you.

John was the perfect host, nothing like what I was expecting. A simple man just like most of us here. Many that get to this level in their own field end up with their head firmly stuck up their arse , but not our John. I found him to offer very pleasant company and quite willing/able to suffer fools like myself.

Now then, those engines, I was previously fascinated by them from what I'd seen on the net, but seeing them in the flesh is a whole new ball game.
For some reason I hadn't twigged that they where actually of any use other than simple amusement. Doah, they are steam engines, fool....!!
Silly me...yep they really got to me when fired up and running. The work involved  in some of them was astounding.

Now then the Coffee, what's wrong with the coffie, seemed fine to me....hic !

PS, what was that scraper, and what on earth where those carbide tipped drill bits called. I can't find any ref to them on the net?
And...
and...
and...
and...

Oh later then..... ;D

Thanks John for sharing a few hours, yes a long drive it may have been, but more than worth it. Thoroughly enjoyed myself and looking forwar to the return trip to collect my little lathe :thumbup:

bogstandard:
Sorry about that Darren,

I have been flat on my back for most of the last couple of days.

For what I use as a deburrer, go to ebay and search for 'olfa laminate cutter'

For drills of all sorts go here

http://www.leofixings.com/fixings_Drill+Bits-10.html

I always use the ground drill bits, stub drills, long series etc. You will be pushed to find better quality at such low prices. The tungsten tipped ones are called Hard Plate drills. Supposedly you can drill holes thru files with them, if that sort of thing turns you on.

Glad you enjoyed your visit.

I am looking at fitting your lathe with tapered gibs. But that will have to wait until I get a few rush jobs out of the way.

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version