Author Topic: Crossley Gas Engine  (Read 6910 times)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Crossley Gas Engine
« on: March 12, 2011, 02:38:11 PM »
We were left in charge of our one year old grandson and decided to have a day out in Manchester, innocently I said we could visit the Manchester Museum of Science and Industry, that a good idea the Boss said.

(don't you just love it when a plan comes off)

:D

Well the little chap just loved it he got all excited at the water wheel, watched in fascination at it going round bouncing up and down with excitement.

Then we came to a Crossley Gas Engine just as they were about to start it, Grandads turn to watch in fascination at it going round and to bounce up and down with excitement. Had a long chat with the engineer, while the little chap slept in his push chair dreaming of thing mechanical, Boss was looking daggers but I soon got rid of her when I suggested she have a look round some of the shop while I looked after the lad and chat to the nice engineer, found out that they are looking for volunteers to help maintain the engines. My names on the list.

Thought I'd share some of the day with you Chaps

Enjoy

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
Re: Crossley Gas Engine
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 02:45:35 PM »
Kinda hypnotic motion there, Thanks for sharing.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

lordedmond

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 04:54:59 AM »
Stew

A question, would you not need to be gas safety registered  to work on gas engines  in a public place , you would be ok at home with your own engines .

With the yellow pipe colour I assume its natural gas mains fed.

Stuart

BTW good work with the bluff with the SWMBO  ,our grand kids are 4 and 5 but are only interested in dolls and pink things yet
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 04:57:28 AM by lordedmond »

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 05:26:58 AM »
Thanks Stew!
I too watched that engine, and it's companions last August.  :thumbup:

What a wonderful place for the likes of us........   :D

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 06:01:17 AM »
Stew

A question, would you not need to be gas safety registered  to work on gas engines  in a public place , you would be ok at home with your own engines .

With the yellow pipe colour I assume its natural gas mains fed.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart

The guys working on the gas engines were full time employees, the volunteers were working on the steam engines and renovating a Victorian railway carage. Not sure if you would have to be a registered gas engineer but I would think so. They started the engine on what they called substitute town gas then when it warmed up they switched to natural gas. If you look just below the slide valve there is a small opening where the ignition flame is situated you can see a short chimney comming up from it, he lit this with a match, the govern looks like it opening and closing a popet valve that feeds gas to the cylinders. I was wondering if you could simulate this effect for a model run on compressed air  :proj:

Stew

lordedmond

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 11:17:27 AM »
Ok Stew

It was just a heads up as when I last worked 14 years ago we had a 8 inch gas main and gas compressors  for the boilers ( we had to be registered corgi for industrial use ) but it was drummed into us the legal requirements

Its a case of being careful when things are accessible to the public , you know the trouble that displays at exhibitions cause

Stuart

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 05:00:03 PM »
Stew, have they reinstated the boiler at the museum yet? When I went 6 months ago the boiler had been torn out for a car park and then funds had been cut and they couldn`t reinstate it!!

Chris

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 07:48:25 PM »
Chris

I asked the engineers that ?, it is planned to reinstate the boiler but when will depend on the funds.

Stew