The Craftmans Shop > New from Old

Carving knives

<< < (3/4) > >>

Powder Keg:
Thanks for the tips guys!!!

I managed to get some more sanding done on my knife scales. I kind of had a false start finishing these up. I roughed them to within about 1/32 or so of the metal. I then started shaping them. When I started sanding down to the metal the profile was way off and I had to reshape the outside. Oh well, I like how they are turning out.

Should I seal the wood before or after I rivet them to the blade?

Lew_Merrick_PE:

--- Quote from: Powder Keg on March 09, 2011, 10:02:10 PM ---Should I seal the wood before or after I rivet them to the blade?
--- End quote ---

Keg -- Finish the "inside" face at a minimum before you rivet it to seal it from expanding/contracting with humidity changes.  Dry everything thoroughly in an oven and run a thin bead of real (i.e. 24 hour cure, 2 hour working time) epoxy around the edge of the handle/blade before you nail it down.  This will keep moisture from getting trapped around the blade (causing it to rust).  You can finish or refinish the outside to your heart's content later, if you wish.

Powder Keg:
Thanks Lew!!! These knives have been fun to build. I got quite a bit done last night. I'll post some pictures after work today.

Powder Keg:
Been having fun with these. I found that If I took the wood down to the metal with the belt sander, things went faster. Here is the knife made out of African Blood wood. This stuff has a little oil in it.

I'm going to try and get a lot done on the walnut scales today.

I then need to decide how much longer the rivets need to be. I think I'm going to try 1/6". Any suggestions?

Wes :wave:

Divided he ad:
They look pretty funky Wes   :beer:

I've just done a bit of that there riveting and found that a small chamfer in the hole to allow the rivet to fill it gives a nice tight grip and less likely to fail IMHO.
I cracked the wood on my first attempt so found out quite quickly that 2mm was too much and 1mm worked just right. But I riveted them before final shaping and finishing.

Don't know how much of this you have done but I'll happily say this even if it pertains to sucking eggs....

After placing a small chamfer on each hole I placed the rivet in full length. Placed one side on the anvil and peined the long protruding end over to about 1.5 times the diameter of the original rod.

Then knocked it through so it was tight into the hole and placed that side on the anvil. Then cut off and filed the remaining rod to approx 1mm protruding. I then peined that over till it filled the hole, then turned it over and peined the first side again till it filled the hole. Then i filed them flush and finished the job with emery paper (or a linisher type affair)

As said, just in case.... Might help someone?  :)

Just posted the pic's on the one I did in the gallery this afternoon.

Good luck :thumbup:

Ralph.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version