Author Topic: More Rotary Table Questions  (Read 8116 times)

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
More Rotary Table Questions
« on: February 19, 2011, 08:17:14 AM »
I know this topic has been covered before, but I’m still undecided.
I’m ready to take the plunge on a “store bought” Rotary Table.
I’m currently trying to decide between the LMS 4” set # 2183 which includes table, dividing plate and tail stock for $239.95,

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/2183

and the Grizzly H5940 4” table with 3 indexing plates and no tail stock for $161.50.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-Rotary-Table-w-Indexing/H5940

Anyone have either of these? Would the LMS tail stock work with the Grizzly table, if I decided to get it later?
I don’t know how often, or when I would use the tailstock.
Anyone CNC one of these other than the project Bogs did with the Division Master, wich is way out of my range at this time.

Thanks for any input.

Chuck in E. TN
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
Re: More Rotary Table Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 08:51:02 AM »

I have an un cnc'd one but will soon be doing it  (well someone will) but befor you buy what mill are you using because of the overall hight with chuck, they are a very nice well made unit

you can buy the ready dome ball raced thrust bearings etc nice job

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Machines-Accessories/Milling-Accessories

peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 09:00:10 AM »
Sorry, folks. Should have added I have an X2 from HF, with air shock mod, belt drive and a DR550 DRO.

Chuck in E. TN
Chuck in E. TN

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 09:04:02 AM »
you should have no problems with hight mine is an X1 and it is pushing it , but I want it for small gears so no problem.

Peter

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 11:41:03 AM »
Did you see this one on the Cork Board?

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=4353.0

Offline mogogear

• Mo's Gear
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 12:53:00 AM »
you should have no problems with hight mine is an X1 and it is pushing it , but I want it for small gears so no problem.

Peter

So Peter...
as I am just getting used to my little Taig Mill...I am lured by a rotary table but unsure at this point how much I will use it. Which table do  you have ? I realize that low price tables probably just add problems to the mix..but where does "real" real accuracy kick in for a newb ? Do i need to start at a Phase 2 4" or is it worth it at all for any of the lower priced RT's??

It may just not be time yet...
Regards,

Mo ( greg)

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 03:46:17 AM »
Hi Mo when I was looking I asked on hear, I did not want to have something to blame, or have to change it in a year or so so waited 12 months till I could buy what I thought was the best for me , it HAS to be acurate or it is not worth having, I dont think there is much up with cheap Rt but this one fitted in with my long term plans of beinng able to make wooden clock gears and to be used as a 4th axis on my cnc if needed I am ready to convert mine to have a stepper motor (with help) to use with my Kwakers rt controler I have just finnished  
http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=4435.msg48603#msg48603
so it depends on what you need it for and weather it is needed for your future plans or not.

Peter

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 04:17:06 AM »
There are basically two types that you want to aim for, either a Vertex or a very close clone that can have a dividing setup fitted to it, or the one like Peter's which is a little more modern and is maybe a little easier to mount into different positions, but again with the dividing setup and tailstock available.

Both of these types are relatively easy to convert to stepper motor drive (hence CNC), I don't know about the cheaper units

I lived without one for a few years, but when I did buy mine (around 25 years ago) I wondered how I ever managed without it, a lot of items that were a real PITA to produce then became easy as pie. It is like a lot of tooling, until you get to use them, you don't realise just versatile they really are. Just as an example, cutting square or however many flat sides onto a piece of bar, spline cutting etc etc. Most people just think of them as an aid to drilling holes.

Very rarely will you wear a good one out, I proved that with my stepper conversion, it works just like the day I bought it. So really, if you make the correct choice to begin with, and dig just that little bit deeper, you will have a piece of tooling that will last a lifetime, rather than a couple of years down the line after you buy a cheapo and want to upgrade it.

No-one can make that choice for you, that has to be your decision. I just made my recommendations because I have both used them and seen them in use.

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline mogogear

• Mo's Gear
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 06:24:36 PM »
Thank you Peter and John,

I will wait and let the need dictate to me the "when" part. From what I have read the Phase2 for my size mill is a good fit and accurate. And that could change while I wait.

I will let my money sit in the bank till then.
Regards,

Mo ( greg)

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 06:39:30 PM »
Per Bogs advice, and others, I ordered a Vertex 4" table this morning. I figure it's best to by the best quality you can, and I had the funds to do so.
I really appreciate all those that had input, and I weighed all input against what I wanted in accuracy vs quality.
I intend to add kwackers controller to this table, and I am activly researchig the materials to do same.
Thanks to all, especially Bogs for your input.

Chuck in E. TN
Chuck in E. TN

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 07:21:43 PM »
Chuck,

As and when you decide to do your stepper conversion, if you look at the post I did on converting my 6" Vertex, yours should be almost identical.

Getting that conversion done, for me, was a revelation, just like when I first got my rotary table. I was starting to have difficulty turning it and remaining accurate, and I just couldn't hold the location pin out when doing dividing, but now it is just a matter of pushing a few buttons. I have all the spare bits ready for converting my dividing head as well, but that will have to wait a while.

Bogs

Skype - bandit175

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 07:35:09 PM »
I just picked up my 6" Vertex last Friday.  I am in touch with John Stevenson now to see if I can get a mount from him.  I am still not sure how I am going to control it.  Either with the unit you used John or just from MACH3.

I have a stiff spot in my table will probably exchange it for one that is smoother.

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 11:16:21 PM »
Before replacing it, it might just be a matter of being too tightly adjusted.

Slacken off the T screw and disengage the worm using the long thin sticking up pin. On the RHS of the casting where the t screw is, there should be a series of tiny holes, on mine there is 3. Down one of those holes will be a tiny grub screw, screw it in no more that about 1/10th of a turn, then reengage the worm again. See if it has worked or is working. If not, get a replacement.

What that screw does is take off a little of the engagement pressure from the worm. If it isn't properly adjusted, that is one of the symptoms.

John

Skype - bandit175

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 06:53:11 AM »
Thanks John, I should have also included in my post that it is tight in one spot with the worm disengaged.