Author Topic: What do you saw with?  (Read 24143 times)

Offline mogogear

• Mo's Gear
What do you saw with?
« on: February 23, 2011, 12:59:08 AM »
Ok

I know we all have hand saws of some kind and use them...but how many of you really have power hacksaws, cutoff saws ( large or small) and how many just use a fret or hack saw to whittle down stock for your mil or lathe?

I like old power hacksaws but feel my shop is too small and it would be a crazy luxury...A inexpensive cutoff saw seems to be a smart answer......maybe?

Fire away!
Regards,

Mo ( greg)

Offline Tugwilson

Re: What do you saw with?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 01:21:41 AM »
Try looking at a woodworking chop saw with a metal cutting blade replacing the toothed wood blade. the work can be clamped to the fence with clamps. or a vice bolted to the bed. My mate has one and it works very well. I know cos I'm always poping over to borrow it.  :clap: let me know how you get on.  :beer:

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 01:28:10 AM »
I have a cold saw with a circular blade of about 10" diameter and a 2hp motor, it turns very slowly, maybe 60rpm.  It will cut anything its HSS blade can cut.

Then I have my Chinese band saw of the much malined type and finally a hand held reciprocating saw which is actually very useful.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 10:34:10 AM »
I use a Milwaukee "Porta Band" bandsaw that I picked up from Craig' List. I cut lots of stainless and find the blade life, using Milwaukee blades, excellent.

Joe

Offline jamoni

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 10:43:29 AM »
I have a bunch of saws.
I use a Harbor Freight handheld bandsaw a lot.  It's been a great value.  Stalls a little easier than a better brand, but that's it.
I also have a large chopsaw I got there.  It's still new, but it's been good so far.  I use it for cutting stacks of stock to length.
Then there's my new power hacksaw, an old Craftsman.  It's sweet.
I've been known to chuck up a cutoff wheel in an angle grinder, and to use the saber saw or scroll saw for cutting thin aluminum.
For precise cuts, I use a slitting saw in the mill.

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 11:38:05 AM »
I have a Harbor Freight 4x6 H/V bandsaw, (wouldn't want to do without it) a cheap Craiglist woodworking 10" chopsaw with a cheap H/F 80T carbide blade, (cuts all my aluminum up to 2"x4", noisy and messy as heck but FAST) a hand hacksaw with bimetal Starrett blades, HSS slitting saws for the mill , a thin 24T 3 3/4" carbide trim saw blade on a homemade arbor for the mill and a handfull of 8" abrasive discs that go in my woodworking table saw.  Oh yeah, I'm getting a Porter-Cable recip (Sawzall) saw this weekend with a rewards gift card I just won at work.  I should be good to go then!

The only thing I'd like to do someday is sell the 4x6 and get a bigger one that cuts straight, right out of the box. ::)
Milton in Tennesee

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

MrFluffy

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 12:44:38 PM »
I have a vertical bandsaw, a abrasive chop saw, a horizontal power hacksaw, plasma cutter and big guillotine (we need a forklift to move it...)
It depends on what your cutting and the situation, aluminium I tend to do on the bandsaw because its set up for that rather than steel, tube or barstock on the abrasive when I can do it outside (it throws a lot of spoil out, so dont bank on using one where your lathe is kept), power hacksaw for big stuff and hand hacksaw for stuff I just need to whip down to size quick as it sits on a beam above the vice. The abrasive cutoff saw sits on top of a portable trolley what the smaller welders live on, so tends to be used for tube fabrication jobs as its to hand.

The evolution fury 2 cutoff saws have quite a following, they cold cut and the result is supposed to be much cleaner than with an abrasive chop saw, Ive never used one first hand to comment but read a lot of raving about them. Occasionally theyre to be found in aldi's at a bargain price in the uk...

Offline kwackers

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 01:26:54 PM »
Most of the stuff I cut is well under an inch in diam, so I find it quickest to chuck it in the vice and use a hacksaw.
When I've a few pieces to cut or something decent in size then I've an old power hacksaw that I press into service.

For sheet steel I have a couple of air powered tools, a jigsaw type thing and a pair of shears.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 01:52:21 PM »

The evolution fury 2 cutoff saws have quite a following, they cold cut and the result is supposed to be much cleaner than with an abrasive chop saw, Ive never used one first hand to comment but read a lot of raving about them. Occasionally theyre to be found in aldi's at a bargain price in the uk...

I've used a Fury blade in the mill to cut aluminium - it does cut it very well, but the chips are seriously hot & fly all over the place. I found it to be a PITA trying to cut wood with the same blade in the circular saw; it just ends up trying to go off course, then it jams up.

I've not tried the blade with any other metal yet, for steel I use an old Manchester Rapidor power hacksaw - it's slow, but it always gets there in the end.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Graz

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 05:06:03 PM »
I got a little band saw about 6 months ago find it very useful and cuts fairly true.

This one http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-mcb100a-compact-bandsaw-prod781243/?sessionid=ce8d21681f1d70774c23a2612228994cbf54ead4

Offline bigmini

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 05:16:59 PM »
Right now, a 4" angle grinder or a hand held hacksaw.  :(

Offline mogogear

• Mo's Gear
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 05:40:50 PM »
Right now, a 4" angle grinder or a hand held hacksaw.  :(

Don't feel bad mate..That is why I ask..Many hand saws here, fret , hack and power scroll saw. But If I do buy something for getting random bigger pieces down to size...This Cut off saw from Harbor Freight fro $34 is about all I have space for

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-cut-off-saw-41453.html

I still like old school power hack saws though

Some of you fellows have way too many saws! :D  Thanks for the replies
Regards,

Mo ( greg)

MrFluffy

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 05:51:19 PM »

I've used a Fury blade in the mill to cut aluminium - it does cut it very well, but the chips are seriously hot & fly all over the place. I found it to be a PITA trying to cut wood with the same blade in the circular saw; it just ends up trying to go off course, then it jams up.

I've not tried the blade with any other metal yet, for steel I use an old Manchester Rapidor power hacksaw - it's slow, but it always gets there in the end.
I read somewhere that the rage saw itself spins the blade at half the speed of a normal circular and the blade gives problems in a regular saw, doesn't have the same life etc. They come in a few blade variants too.
The oft mentioned downside is that they are noisy, apparently making angle grinders seem quiet...

The rage chopsaw is about the size of that HF saw, must be someone who runs one on steel around here somewhere?

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 06:05:05 PM »
I`m in the same situation with only a small work space and so the Kennedy power hacksaw is my weapon of choice but I don`t know if they do anything similar over there. Mine gets absolutely tones of use and is one of my best buys:

http://www.raynerd.co.uk/?p=740

I also have a chop saw for bigger steel.

Offline bigmini

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 09:35:43 PM »
Right now, a 4" angle grinder or a hand held hacksaw.  :(

Don't feel bad mate..That is why I ask..Many hand saws here, fret , hack and power scroll saw. But If I do buy something for getting random bigger pieces down to size...This Cut off saw from Harbor Freight fro $34 is about all I have space for

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-cut-off-saw-41453.html

I still like old school power hack saws though

Some of you fellows have way too many saws! :D  Thanks for the replies

That same saw here would have a "Ryobi" or "Black and Decker" label on it and cost 10 times as much - or a GMC label on it and cost 8 time as much :lol:. Otherwise I'd buy one.

I did buy a $20 stand for my angle grinder that turns it into a 4" chop saw, but it flexes so much I gave up on it before it embedded pieces of the cutting disc in the wall opposite :zap:.

Offline jcs0001

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 09:44:26 PM »
I've been using one of the 4x6 Taiwanese bandsaws for a couple of years - on all metals.  It works well and is safe.  It has a good blade on it (bi metal I think).  I use lubricant sometimes and sometimes not and so far so good.

I've also used my tablesaw with a regular all purpose carbide tipped blade to cut aluminium however I'm never happy with the safety aspect - throws a good amount of hot chips and may be abusive to a good saw.

On small items I use a hacksaw (hand) and with my (new to me lathe) I can use a parting off tool in most metals.
I might consider other means but lack room.

John.

Offline Ashlyn Katarzyna

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 09:50:32 PM »
I use a hacksaw if its something small and I'm cutting 1 piece, multiple parts forget it! Other parts get cut with chop saw, sawz-all or cutting torch for big heavy things.  If it's bearing/tool steel plate I clamp in the mill and make my cut using that.  If I get the transmission out of my shop and in the truck, I might have room for a band-saw, I'd really like to have one.

Offline kvom

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 08:46:07 AM »
I have a big old Johnson horizontal that's about 20 years older than I; weighs 350 pounds or so.  I also just acquired a refurbed Delta vertical.  The hacksaw is still pretty useful.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 09:26:33 AM »

I read somewhere that the rage saw itself spins the blade at half the speed of a normal circular and the blade gives problems in a regular saw, doesn't have the same life etc. They come in a few blade variants too.
The oft mentioned downside is that they are noisy, apparently making angle grinders seem quiet...

The rage chopsaw is about the size of that HF saw, must be someone who runs one on steel around here somewhere?

I don't know about the speed - it says 3000rpm maximum - the 2300rpm setting on my mill seems to work fine. As for the noise.... you're absolutely right, they make one hell of a racket. It's about the only time I need to wear ear defenders, when I'm using it.

I'll give it a try in some steel & let you know how it goes.
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline TroyO

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 01:02:47 PM »
Hello world! (Newb here, although I have been lurking a while.)

I use (guilty look sideways)  :bugeye: my table saw quite often for Aluminum. I use an old 80 tooth carbide blade (The "Beater blade" as opposed to "My best blade") and just run it through. You do get some hot chips, so wear goggles but it really does work a treat. I've cut up to about 2" solid bar that way.

Some folks get all up at arms about cutting aluminum on woodworking equipment. I have used both the table saw and a router on AL with great results and NO issues. Check you own conscience about the safety of it. On the plus side, my table saw is set up pretty well and I have an Incra cross cut sled so I can cut raw stock and only have maybe .010-.020 as a buffer.

DO clean up afterwards, if only to minimize fouling of bearings and belts, and DO secure the work firmly while cutting. For crosscuts I always clamp to the cross cut sled (It has T slots) and for straight cuts I hand feed using a push stick or rubber push blocks.... prefferably the push blocks.

Ohh, and DO NOT try it on a SawStop brand tablesaw.. LOL   :bang:.

Offline SKIPRAT

• Gainsborough Lincolnshire England
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 05:32:10 PM »
Hi All

For cuts up to 2 inches in diameter i use a Rage Evo saw for both ferrous and non ferrous and for cuts bigger than 2inches and up to 6 inches i use a rather old industrial hacksaw  slow and steady but gets the job done.

Cheers Paul
One Mans Junk Is Another Man's Treasure G6FOW

Offline jamoni

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 06:24:19 PM »
I wish I had some pics of my OLD knifemaking shop, when I was in the Army, circa 1996.
My cutting setup was an old black and decker drill.  I made a wooden cradle for the drill, held it down with hose clamps, and chucked a 1/2" arbor with a 8" cutoff wheel in it.  This was clamped to a table, and the work was held in the hand.
Cheap, yes.
Effective, yes.
Hair raising, yes.

Offline bigmini

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 07:10:37 PM »
I wish I had some pics of my OLD knifemaking shop, when I was in the Army, circa 1996.
My cutting setup was an old black and decker drill.  I made a wooden cradle for the drill, held it down with hose clamps, and chucked a 1/2" arbor with a 8" cutoff wheel in it.  This was clamped to a table, and the work was held in the hand.
Cheap, yes.
Effective, yes.
Hair raising, yes.

:jaw:I hope you've still got all your fingers.

Offline andre

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 05:26:14 AM »
 i have a 4x6  inch band saw at a garage sale for $100 and added a coolant  pump setup up for  $20 it cuts straight as  an arrow  its  the best  cutting tool i ever bought

Offline jamoni

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 01:17:12 PM »
Cheap, yes.
Effective, yes.
Hair raising, yes.

YEP!

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2011, 01:22:42 PM »
Cheap, yes.
Effective, yes.
Hair raising, yes.

YEP!

How many of them are in pickle jars on the shelf?  :lol:
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Bryan

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2011, 05:14:21 PM »
Love my power hacksaw. 30 or 40 years old, but would have once looked like the one pictured, minus coolant.

I have a 14" GMC friction saw but it's useless for heavy sections.

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2011, 06:32:48 PM »
I managed to get a pair of Harbor Freight 4x6 bandsaws at auction recently.  What a labor saver!  I wish I had bought one new years ago, but the current price ($270) was just too much.  Now I can't imagine doing it by hand at all.  Cuts through a 4" diameter, .3 wall thickness steel pipe like nothing, and that's the factory blade.

If anyone is in the Rochester area, I'm looking to sell one of them, cheap.  No shipping, though.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2011, 12:47:09 AM »
When I started making kickstands, I had to get some sort of powered saw... I have a HF 4x6. It is bolted down to a new stand (stock one was too flimsy and too low). With a premium brand blade, it cuts wonders. Mine gets used almost every day. I do want to add some coolant to it though.

Before that, I used a sawzall type reciprocating.

I also have an abrasive chop saw. I got an el' cheapo off of ebay. I use it to cut the CF tubing.

And as an aside, I have a radial arm saw and a table saw. Haven't cut any metal on them, but i know people that have...

Before anyone gets envy, they are all cheap ebay/HF finds...
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2011, 03:16:35 PM »
nothing posh  for me just a standed hacsaw for me

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2011, 04:11:42 PM »
I bought my "Ding Dong" hacksaw, from my local motorcycle shop, in 1964.  :thumbup:

It still performs like new...... But it's power supply has dwindled over the years!  ::)

Here's one!    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-HACKSAW-DING-DONG-STAMPED-FRAME-No-6-/330505801054

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Artie

• Down here in the Aussie sunshine/heat :-)
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2011, 05:01:50 PM »
I have an old power hacksaw (older than me!!!) which does all the heavy stuff the cooland pump has been dead for decades so I just run the garden hose on trickle over the piece being cut., also friction cut-off drop saw which is only good for thinner material, thin blade 4" angle grinder and then the right bicep and shoulder.... oh, used with a hand held hacksaw..... actually use that for 'most' small jobs...  :)

« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 05:11:17 PM by Artie »
South Wales, wait...NEW South Wales... Batemans Bay.

Offline TroyO

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2011, 10:21:11 PM »
Are there advantages to a Power Hacksaw Vs a Bandsaw?

Offline Artie

• Down here in the Aussie sunshine/heat :-)
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2011, 01:47:44 AM »
I guess it depends on the style of bandsaw... a vertical saw needs you there to move the job, a horizontal does its own thing while you have a cuppa, same with the power hacksaw.

Not sure about bandsaw blades but about $30 Aus for a blade for the hacksaw. With coolant they last for ages.
South Wales, wait...NEW South Wales... Batemans Bay.

Offline Bryan

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2011, 05:24:29 PM »
Are there advantages to a Power Hacksaw Vs a Bandsaw?
Someone said recently on another forum that shapers are the sailing ships of machine tools. I'd say hacksaws are their little brothers. Maybe like a small yacht. A dinghy with an outboard (bandsaw) will probably get you there quicker. Up to you how you want to travel.

Offline ksor

• Turn off the TV - life ain't replayed !
    • Keld's hjemmeside
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2011, 02:27:56 PM »
I do it with this italian saw - 340mm Ø - 2 speed - I think 50 and 100 RPM.

I think it's the best peace of equipment I've ever got - it can cut in different angels too.

Best regards
KSor, Denmark
Skype name: keldsor

Offline Corvus corax

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2011, 06:20:51 AM »
At the minute a small angle grinder attached to one of those little gadgets that turns it into an offcut machine. That a hacksaw an electric jigsaw with Bi-metal blades.

I've had my eye on one of these little metal cutting bandsaw for some time

I wish I could turn up an old power hacksaw somewhere. I remember those from a few workshops when I was a kid.

Offline benchmark

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2011, 06:07:03 PM »
For small precision work i use this

For cutting large stuff i use this

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 06:11:39 PM by benchmark »
See pictures and videos of my collection:
http://dampmaskiner.webs.com

Offline sparky961

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2011, 10:14:28 PM »
I suppose it's no wonder this topic has so many hits.  Cutting to length is usually the first step in making anything.

I have a soft spot for the old power hacksaws too.  So much so that I've owned two of them, but each only for a short time.

The one was a beast of a unit.  It cut, but not very straight and it seriously needed someone with more time than I have to give it some TLC.  It was very loose and someone had seriously messed up the "lift on back stroke" mechanism.  I still remember three of us almost killing ourselves moving it from my shed to load it into someone's trailer right after an ice storm.

The other was a really nice looking Craftsman unit.  I ended up shipping it to another province to a guy that collected old Craftsman stuff.  I bet I gave him an insanely good deal, but I was just happy to see it go to a good home.  It had a really neat vice arrangement that I wish I would have taken some detailed photos of.

With both of them, i just found that no matter what I tried to tweak they still wouldn't cut very quickly and the action was very rough.  Maybe it was just me.

I found a 4 x 6 bandsaw for sale locally about a year or two ago.  It needed just the amount of TLC that I had time to give it.  Someone had an old washing machine motor on there that was turning the wrong direction.  The blade was mounted backwards to accommodate this.  I changed the motor to one of the ones I got with the power hacksaws (too expensive to ship the motor with it), and tweaked the blade alignment until I was extremely happy with the result.

Yes, there are lots of things to complain about with these little saws but I have been happily surprised by just how capable they are when you treat them as what they are - a light/medium duty home shop machine.  For what I do, this is by far the best choice.