The Craftmans Shop > Backyard Ballistics

$30 Project shotgun

<< < (2/8) > >>

crabsign69:
Thats looks like granny my old shotgun hiding in the darkest places. its worn out the barrel is rifled now form all the use.
But that dam thing will still kill what ever is in front of it. i need to cut it down to 18.5 " and a home made pistal grip so i can shoot 00 buck from it
my home defense mechanism   :)   its chocked and it still holds a good pattern . oh it kicks bad too
im looking forward to this one so ill be keeping a close eye here. :beer:

Powder Keg:
I can't quit thinking about this gun for some reason? I've been doing a lot of "Research" which amounts to staring at pictures on the internet :lol: But I'm slowly picturing this in my head. I've made a sketch or two and both my wife and I really like this design. It's just something that I came up with.

A few years ago I traded for some Black walnut planks. There is some good wood in them. But some junk also.

I cut the plank in half and started with the worst end. This is the first stock for anything that I've ever made. So I don't want to ruin my good wood.

I cut out my sketch and traced it onto the plank. Then band sawed it out. Wow this is some nice looking wood!!!

Some of the cracks go in about 3/4" or so but I'm sure there is enough there to work with.

The old stock was in terrible shape! There was a crack that went all the way through it starting at the reciever and headed about 1/3 back. The hole for the bolt that was supposed to hold it on was curved so bad I couldn't see the bottom. I decided to cut the stock in two to get to the bolt. It turns out that there wasn't even a bolt holding it on. The wood was just pinching the receiver and that is all that was keeping it there.

The next plan I think should be to thin up the piece and start in-letting the receiver. I'll flatten one side then saw the blank a little thicker than I need it to be.

Stay tuned :wave:

andyf:
Interesting butt design, Wes. When it's done, the whole thing will look a bit curvaceous like a Middle Eastern jezail. There was a really nice piece of walnut hiding inside that rough-looking slab  :thumbup:
Andy

Powder Keg:
I had to look Jazail up :lol: I was thinking more Steam punk. But those are pretty neat!!! I plan on a second stock for shooting from the shoulder later on maybe. I have plenty of wood and I need the practice. I need to decide how I'm going to drill the bolt hole now? Maybe I can make a guide and drill it by hand? My mill isn't big enough. Hummmmmm?

andyf:
Hi Wes,

I'd suggest drilling the bolt hole now, while the block still has more or less parallel sides which you can draw guidelines on.

Assuming you will be doing it by hand, and that the butt plate end is going to be reasonably wide, go in from that   end with a big (say 3/4") drill to part-way, and from the receiver end with a 1/4" one (I think that's what your sketch says) to meet somewhere in the middle. That will give you a counterbored hole which will eventually be covered by the butt plate, and involve drilling two short holes rather than one long one which might come out in the wrong place. If the holes aren't quite in line, it probably won't matter too much; the butt can be shaped to suit.

Andy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version