Author Topic: Pored Pewter inlays  (Read 7795 times)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Pored Pewter inlays
« on: February 06, 2011, 09:32:39 PM »
Has anyone done them?

I messed around a little this weekend. I have a nice Ruger 10/22 that I want to do. But I thought I had better practice a little first. Than to just start hacking away at my prized 10/22. I decided to start with a hammer handle first. I got pretty involved and forgot to take any pictures. But here is the result. It still needs to be sanded some more, but I think it turned out pretty nice. It will be a neat skill to have I think? The pewter came from cups I bought at a local second hand store. I'll do a few more before I start on the 22. I'll be sure to take pictures next time.

I learned a few things and am going to do a few more pores before I do the gun. But it was a lot of fun!!!

Later, Wes
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline JamesC

Re: Pored Pewter inlays
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 06:39:55 AM »
I realy like the look of this, I would love to hear more of your technique.

I cant see any evidence of scorching, I appreciate that you hace sanded it but even the edges look un-scorched.

Did you have any problem with shrink back?

Sorry to pile on the questions, it's just that I am in the middle of making a whole set of replacement wooden handles and now you have set me off on a tangent (how unlike me :D)

James

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 06:49:53 AM »
I to had the same concerns. This was the main reason for the practice pieces. There was no scorching or shrink back. the carved areas are about a hundred thousands deep and I drilled a few 1/8" dia. holes about a 1/8" deep to help lock the pewter onto the wood. I used card stock from a beer case to make the forms that I pored into and I held them on with masking tape.
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline JamesC

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 07:01:38 AM »
Thanks for the promt response, guess what I will be doing next weekend.

Fired up by curiosity I did a quick Google and found this http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index.php?showtopic=9559&st=0&p=86308&hl=fancy%20pipe%20hawk&fromsearch=1&#entry86308 It seems to follow your method exactly.

By the way I just noticed that I had not posted here before.  I've lurked for so long tha I assumed I must have.  I had better head over to the introductions area and introduce myself.

James

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 07:08:42 AM »
That's one of the sites I found with instructions. There are a couple others. Here is one with a couple of projects to distract you even farther :zap: Knife plans The top one has my eye(o:
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 07:10:12 AM »
Forgot to add. Welcome to the group!!! Remember, We like pictures :lol:
Wesley P

Offline 1hand

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 08:21:14 PM »
Looks sharp! I like it :thumbup:

Matt