Author Topic: Sino Digital Readout  (Read 5286 times)

Offline Gaget

Sino Digital Readout
« on: February 12, 2011, 05:08:32 PM »
Does anybody know what the taper measure function reads in minutes or decimal. i.e does 10.500 equal 10 degrees 50 minutes or 10.5 degrees ?

Offline philf

Re: Sino Digital Readout
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 05:50:50 PM »
Hi,
I've just gone through my Sino DRO manual and it doesn't say specifically. I'm 99% certain it's decimal. To prove it one way or another you could use the taper measuring function to measure a known taper (e.g. 2 morse).
Cheers.
Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline Davo J

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 10:10:57 PM »
I just checked the Sino on my mill in lathe mode, and it seems it only reads to 3 decimal places in taper function.
I use the taper function on the Miester DRO on my lathe fairly often, and it does 5 decimal places in angle mode.
Not sure about the Sino but Miester reads included angle, where a lot of online charts for machined tapers will show 1/2 included angle.
Here is a link to a chart below, there are plenty of charts out their that show the taper in decimal degrees.
http://www.loganact.com/tips/tapers.htm

Dave

Offline Davo J

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 10:25:19 PM »
Does anybody know what the taper measure function reads in minutes or decimal. i.e does 10.500 equal 10 degrees 50 minutes or 10.5 degrees ?

Going by the calculator below. 10.5 decimal degrees is 10 degrees 30 minutes and 10 degrees 50 minutes is 10.8333333333 decimal degrees.
http://zonalandeducation.com/mmts/trigonometryRealms/degMinSec/degMinSec.htm

Dave

Offline Gaget

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 12:20:38 AM »
After a lot of mucking about I moved the angle to above 60 on decimal side so I can only presume it is decimal. I needed 76 degrees and 47 minutes which is 76 degrees and 0.7833  I hope!

Offline Davo J

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 02:29:06 AM »
Going by that calculator that is the right number.

Dave

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 03:55:14 AM »
Gaget,

This is one of the problems of the digital age, the old methods of display or calculations don't fit neatly into it.

I remember when tallying up work hours and minutes when servicing aircraft, the only way to do it was by the long hand method, for even a small service it could take all day, and many sheets of paper.

Building an extra display into my Sino units just to calculate angles between minutes and seconds to digital would make it even more complicated and costly, so I reckon that is why they just do the digital bit.

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175