Author Topic: Don't try this at home.  (Read 14656 times)

Offline DavidA

Re: Don't try this at home.
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2011, 02:05:50 PM »
The tail stock colour appeal;ed to me so much that I decided to strip the whole machine and re-paint it.
Below is a picture of the bed cleaned up and ready for the first coat;  red lead.

Maybe some one will recognise the outline of the bed.

Also,  on the edge of the headstock mounting  is stamped a 5 digit serial number. On the other end of the same edge is the wording 'REV II',  so it seems that it is the second version of what ever it is. Every single part of the lathe has a serial number on it. All neatly stamped.

Soon be time to put it all back together again and cut some metal.

Dave.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 02:56:45 PM by DavidA »

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2011, 02:48:52 PM »
Dave,

Great repair, just like a new 'un.

If that casting didn't have the big lump hanging down from the tailstock end, I would have sworn it was a Myford ML2. But in those days (1930's to 1940's or even a little later), everbody and his dog were copying everyone else's machines, with just a few mods between each one.

Just call it a 'Rufold Special Mk II' and you will have collectors clamouring to buy it.

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline DavidA

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
Good idea;  I should have thought of that. :clap:

Dave.

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 12:32:41 PM »
Hi Dave, if I were in that position, I'd drill through the back of the spindle handle with the broken off piece in place, jigged up in your mill, drill press or even on the lathe, then put a pin through the ball handle and the handle piece, then braze it, and it will last like new, and give plenty of support so you don't have to use a cast brass dachsund, squeezing it till it drops its blobs all around, trying to build up at the crack.  You could also drill and tap it in the same way, screw in some all thread, then braze it.  One of my lathes came with a "standard" handwheel, similar in size to the original, and with a crank handle hole, but no handle.  I ended up drilling and tapping it for an aircraft bolt, and turned a brass handle which spins with a little play on the shank of the bolt, with the head completely enclosed by the brass handle, and it works great for rapid drilling in easy material such as cast iron, and still has a fine feel for drilling stainless and the like.  I like it much better than the proper hand wheel on my six year earlier '42 model, where the handle is fixed in place and your fingers provide the smooth rotation.  It looks like you've got a pretty good handle on the situation,  :lol: pardon the pun. :poke:  mad jack

Offline DavidA

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2011, 04:30:11 PM »
Jack,

See Number 22 above.  It's done.

Just a matter of reassembly and alignment now.  And a hand wheel to be fitted to the leadscrew to get around the annoying 'wrong' direction of the saddle wheel. This will also give better control,  and will allow a calibrated scale to be fitted.

Dave.