Author Topic: My first engine - Duclos Fire Eater  (Read 8707 times)

Offline MikeA

My first engine - Duclos Fire Eater
« on: February 03, 2011, 12:02:33 PM »
Hello All,

I recently (last week) completed my first engine - a Philip Duclos Fire Eater, and much to my surprise the darn thing actually runs! :bugeye: It would be a lie to say I was confident it would run, in fact, I really expected problems with it as I changed a few things (some intentionally and some............well, lets just say they were not my plan!) :doh: Had more than a few uh-oh moments and made most parts at least twice and a few three or more times, but each time I learned a little bit.

Now I'm posting a short video on YouTube and will link it here once I figure out how. OK - I uploaded it - here's my first effort.

If it weren't for the information I've gathered here and several other forums, I would never have been able to get this thing completed let alone running. Thanks to all for the help.

Now the question is what do I build next???

Best,
Mike

'Better is the enemy of good enough!'

Offline jim

Re: My first engine - Duclos Fire Eater
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 01:34:16 PM »
  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

good job!
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 02:27:26 PM »
Nice  :bugeye:

Offline MikeA

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 03:36:48 PM »
Hello Jim and Benni,

Thanks for the comments, this has been fun and rewarding (now that it runs!)

The big question is what to build for the next project?

Best,
Mike

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 06:46:01 PM »
Sheesh, you guys build a first engine, and it looks like you've been making them for years.  My first (and the next couple) all look like a 12 year old made them, without supervision.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline MikeA

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 07:27:15 PM »
Hello Rleete,

That's very nice of you to say, but it sure is not up to the standards I see regularly posted on this forum. Lots of warts and wrinkles...........and you should see how the motor looks!

I still have to do a lot of 'blinging' to make it presentable, but being my first it's beautiful to me.

Best,
Mike

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 02:07:07 AM »
Mike,

I think everyones first engine, once they get it running, always becomes their pride and joy.

From now on, you are always trying to get that same feeling as you got with your first runner. Mine was over 50 years ago, but I still remember it as though it was yesterday.

A very fine build there for your first engine, something like that is usually about 3 or 4 down the line.

If you are after the ic type engine kicks, then you can't go far wrong with the Webster, many of which have been built, and it seems to be a reliable runner. Or you could go for one of Jan Ridders designs, say this one.

http://heetgasmodelbouw.ridders.nu/Webpaginas/pagina_tweetakt_motor/tweetakt_frameset.htm

The plans are free, and he is very helpful when contacted about problems.

Bogs

If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline MikeA

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 06:15:30 AM »
Hello Mr. Bogs,

Coming from you that is high praise indeed!

I can only begin to understand how the 'first' has a special place - it is sitting right here on my desk as I type this and I have started it and watched it run I don't know how many times, just for the pleasure of seeing it run. Great stuff!

Thanks for the suggestions on the next - I have a short list that has both those up near the top. Thanks for the info on Jan Ridders; I have the plans for "Debbie" but am leaning more towards the Webster for size and ease of manufacture (all Imperial).

Once again, thanks for the input and especially for your great 'how-to' articles.

Best,
Mike