The Craftmans Shop > Model Engineering

A new specialty magazine

(1/4) > >>

Miner:
A good friend of mine and I were talking a few days ago. Both his and my interests are in fairly complicated Stationary Steam engines. While I have nothing against the Internal Combustion types of engine, And I've learned a huge ammount reading about how the average HSM person builds and overcomes all the hard parts like cam and crank manufacturing for both single and multi cylinder engines. It's still not where my major interests are. As far as magazines for the average HSM person, The people who build Live steam Locomotives,I.C. Engines, Workshop equipment, ect. That seems to be fairly well covered. Various magazines like Model Engineer, Model Engineers Workshop, Engineering in Miniature, Model Engine Builder Magazine, Live Steam, along with the Village press magazines cover the above topics pretty well. Yet Probably a higher majority of people build stationary steam engines than I.C., Workshop Equipment as a partial or total hobby, Or even Locomotives.

Both my friends points and mine were, Looking at various older Model Engineer magazines. There was a huge ammount of some very nice and really rare engines built over the years. Yet it was spaced out and massive ammounts of this information has been lost for good unless you have access to those back issues. Our thoughts were that a magazine of this type should be done along the lines of how and what Fine Woodworking magazine publishes for the woodworker. Maybe a high end, Glossy, well done and researched magazine. Live Steam and Outdoor Railroading is running a series for a gothic beam engine almost exactly like I'm talking about. I'd like to post this thread on this forum and on the other forums I belong to for say 60 days and given enough interest I'd like to forward these threads to various Model Engineering magazine publishers. If you don't post then your voice won't be heard. For those that agree or even disagree with this thread I'd appreciate your comments. So what is the general interest level for a magazine dealing with Stationary Steam Engines?

Peten

John Stevenson:
What about doing it on line to reduce costs.

Take a look at this.

http://modelengineeringwebsite.com/Home.html

It's not the subject you want I was putting it forward more for the idea and layout.

John S.

Miner:
Hi John,
I hadn't seen that site before. Yeah you have a point about a online magazine. Just so I'm 100% clear. I personaly would have no intensions of doing this. I'm an equipment operator so the best I could do is bury the magazine. But even with todays prevelence of computers I still think most people prefer a paper copy they can hold in their hands. I've also put my original post on 2 other forums. The whole post may not even be a good idea. I'm just trying to gather opinions. If? there was enough positive points from people then I'd forward the whole mess to the publishers of our types of magazines. Then again it may just get ignored.

Pete 

Miner:
Well it's not a new specialty magazine, But we started a brand new forum for steam.

Pete

Brass_Machine:

--- Quote from: Miner on March 10, 2011, 01:21:40 PM ---Well it's not a new specialty magazine, But we started a brand new forum for steam.

Pete

--- End quote ---

Oh? do you mean Pat's site?

Eric

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version