The Shop > Finishing

Tumbler Trials & Tribulations

(1/25) > >>

1hand:

I have a need to finish smaller parts. I've been looking around for info on this type of process, and have found bits and pieces of information, lots of different "mixtures", and time of process.

I'm going to log my go at some of these different ways, products, time frames, to see what kind of results I can get.

I'm going to start off with these different tumblers for different stages of the process.

The different mediums to play around with

Some of the different Mixing products

And of course, how longs it gonna take in each process

If anyone has a "secret recipe", let me know. I would like to try it. :smart:

Matt

1hand:
Kenneth,

Thanks for posting. I want to try some Wet tumbling on some different kinds of metals is why I opp for the rotary as well as the vibratory tumbler, and maybe would work for some larger pieces that wouldn't fit in the vibatory.

If nothing else........My real job is running a rock crushing plant, so I always could bring home some rocks, and throw in to polish. The kiddos would get a kick out of that.

Matt

1hand:
BTW.........Nice CLock Man! :headbang:

Bogstandard:
Matt,

Having followed your thinking and process for a while now, great pics you sent me BTW, and understand that maybe fairly soon you could get yourself into a situation where you won't have time enough to do everything yourself. Tumbling products can be a very time consuming exercise.

A few years ago, I was looking at setting up a small tumbling process in a factory I was trying to get the processes straightened up in. Eventually, we only installed one vibratory unit, that could be left running almost permanently day and night, it is a very slow process. The rest was sent for outside processing.

To cut a long story short. Search out a business that does it for a living, preferably local. They have the expertise to get whatever finish you require on whatever materials you need to use. I found that they were much cheaper than trying to do processes in house, as they are set up with all the machines and mediums you could ever need, especially where a one man band like yourself is concerned, where eventually, when your business takes off, you won't have the time to do everything yourself.

I know it is good to do it yourself at this time, experimenting and enjoying what you are doing, but in the long run, look to take a bit of the pressure off yourself, as later, your time will become a very important commodity that will be in short supply. Look to get processes into position now, rather than later, so when the time does come, you will know exactly where to go, and can be set up very quickly.

John

1hand:
Thanks Bogs,

I have done that with the "Machining End" Checked around from different local production shops, incase this does take off. I got their prices, and built that into my bundle price that I'm taking to meet with the distubtor of my product. If their interested in my product, I will wash my hands of that whole deal, and let someone else sweat over my totorances. The "one off" stuff, is what I really want to do in my shop. Where I'm working right with the end user, to modify what ever they need for their own speical needs. Basicly this is going to be more for my personal shop, and not set for high production.

Matt

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version