Author Topic: 3MT collets  (Read 10062 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
3MT collets
« on: November 14, 2008, 02:29:18 PM »
Any views on 3MT collets use in a milling machine? I have heard they can be a bit of a sod to release, is this so?

TIA

Darren
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
Re: 3MT collets
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 04:54:53 PM »
Well Darren, I use MT3's in mine and I've never had much trouble.... Well I have a 4lb mini sledge hammer if they act up!  ;)

That said, as soon as I am able to afford it I am aiming to change to er32 collets and chuck. They help you be able to hold metric and imperial tooling, twist drills and all sorts.... Making for less stress IMO.  ;D

What do you hold end mills and slot drills in now then?

Hope this is of some help?

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 05:37:17 PM »
I hear MT3's can be a nad's tight to release sometimes but I believe it's also relative to how much you swing on the drawbar in the first place.

My little mill is an R8 taper and that's pretty easy to release, Bogsie made a comment earlier in a thread about how much easier he was finding R8 over MT3, but at the end of the day MT3 has worked for thousands of folk for many years so it can't be all bad.

CC

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 06:18:10 PM »
Hi Guys,

At the mo all I have is an MT3 Osbourn Titanic with just two collets 1/2" & 5/8". The came with the mill.
They work really well, but not much good for slotting the ball turner at 1/4".  ;D
I have searched for some time for more collets, but all I can ever find come with the whole unit. Even then there may only be one collet of use to me.

For a quick cheap fix I was considering a 1/4" MT3 collet, would also fit the mini lathe should I ever find the need.

But those ER collets do look attractive don't they. I assume they work well. Being able to hold drill bits properly as well should be a bonus.

I'll rustle up some brain cells and think some more on it.

Darren
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 06:38:08 PM »
You should find that a MT collet releases easier than a full blown MT taper. But not much. Lead hammers work wonders.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 05:35:14 AM »
These ER collet sets are a expensive, but not for what you get I suppose.

Then I found this, now that's not too bad if you just buy a few collets that you need.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ER32-MT3-M12-COLLET-CHUCK-CNC-MILLING-LATHE-NEW-A75_W0QQitemZ110307873889QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item110307873889&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A3%7C65%3A15%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Darren

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 05:42:52 AM »
And,

Same seller, will combine shipping as well.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ER32-COLLET-SET-10-PCS-CNC-MILLING-LATHE-NEW-A06_W0QQitemZ110307872407QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item110307872407&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A3|65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Now that's not too bad, certainly cheaper than all the 5c collets I had to purchase

Darren

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 05:57:27 AM »
Darren,
I've had a couple of bits from that same seller, (a 3MT-ER25 Collet Chuck and a small milling vice), goods were fine and service was pretty quick, I'd have no hesitation using them again.

hth

Dave

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 06:14:12 AM »
Thanks Dave thats good to know, how did you get on with using them. Do you like them.

Like Ralph said, if you could get rid of a normal chuck these should be better even for drilling.

There is nothing like a chuck for mangling drill bit shafts when they slip !!

Darren

bogstandard

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 08:24:08 AM »
Darren,

Fitting ER32 collets will be a major step up for you, but go the extra yard and get the full 18 piece set of collets. It is a PITA when you come to use a cutter or drill and you haven't got a collet to fit it.

Remember, customs are clamping down now, and will charge import duty on anything over £18, then the P.O. charges you £8 for sending you the postcard to tell you to go collect it from the sorting office and pay the due taxes. I tried a couple of months ago to get some bits in for my mo'sickle from the States thru the back door, by directing it thru Frankfurt in Germany, but I still got stung.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 04:48:45 PM »
Done,
Nice 3MT holder and a set of 19 er32 collets on the way.

That couple with the most recent "hit me like a brick" mistake should make my milling life a bit easier.

Thanks for the advice guys, very much appreciated.

Darren