The Shop > Finishing

Anodizing

(1/6) > >>

Jonny:
Seems plenty of interest with some of us that have done anodising.
Fire away.

Jonny:
Must be 5 years since i last did any sulphuric anodising and at that was rather hit and miss.

The main problem at time was gaining information which seemed a highly guarded secret around 2001. There were only three sites that gave a how to but every one left something out or even told porkies (lies.)
All were different including voltages, acid mix, duration and to my bug bear the contact with part to be anodised.

Most recommend an aluminium wire wedged in to the part, for me a breakdown wthin 2 minutes every time even threaded in. The only method short of trying titanium was aluminium 6082 wedge shaped and tightly screwed in to a hole before and after chemical cleaning with hydrochloric acid.

Have even done hard anodising twice but couldnt repeat next time.

For me 17 to 19% sulphuric mix around 13.6 volts measured in hours. Many can do this in minutes.

One thing i did have to figure out was the dye needed warming up but not too much to seal the part. Tryed all dyes i could gey my hands on, literally nothing worked except the powder the pros use.

Thinking back and may be another porky after dipping in colour for a period of time, it was supposed practice to then boil the part in water to seal the colour. Seems now i should have used acetate.

Over the years did have a few parts come out quite professional.
Heres a bead blasted item

Come out a bit matt this one.

Bit matt this one blue tint opaque most come out purple to brown

One of these days i will get it up and running again, got two PSU 0-30V ones digital twin output the other a backup an analogue from Maplins.

Brass_Machine:
I have been wanting to do anodizing. I make quite a few motorcycle parts that would look good anodized.

I haven't found enough precise info to give it a shot (haven't looked hard enough yet either). One site (got it bookmarked somewhere) offered up a booklet for cheap. I just may go ahead and get it. Sometimes I need things spelled out for me!

Anyone else anodize?

Eric

Brass_Machine:
Kenneth,

That's the guy! Many thanks as my bookmark is on another PC.

I have the power supply to do it. Just need the chemicals and the color.

Eric

foozer:
Just a note, sulphuric acid can be nasty stuff, and as I tend to jump in the water afore checking for sharks any who desire to play with the stuff at least brush up on care, handling, and hazzards.

One site http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002492.htm

Always and its ALWAYS,  add acid to water, never the other way round.

Robert

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version