Author Topic: Wiring coolant pump  (Read 4985 times)

Offline gunplummer

Wiring coolant pump
« on: February 15, 2011, 02:04:20 PM »
    Just purchased a Craftex 1236 Lathe, although it appears to be wired for a coolant pump,(has the switch and wire harness) it did not come with the pump. I am using an idea from another fella for a home made coolant system( plastic bucket, garden pond pump and various fittings) that works fine. The only issue I have is I want to hard wire it to the lathe using the existing switch so the pump well shut off when the safety guard on the chuck is raised. Just being a little OCD I realize, but thats half the fun of doing this stuff! So if anyone has any ideas or thoughts please fell free to share. Looking forward to your feedback.

Offline John Rudd

Re: Wiring coolant pump
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 02:34:22 PM »
The easiest way to shut the coolant pump off then ( if you want it to stop same as the main drive for the lathe) would be to wire it in parallel with the lathe motor...assuming the lathe motor is single phase as well as the coolant pump..again assuming the lathe motor stops when you raise the chuck guard...

Not sure I'd want the coolant pump running all the time tho'......perhaps there are occasions when the lathe is running and there's no need for suds coolant? ( not sure I can think of one right now... :scratch: )
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 02:36:05 PM by John Rudd »
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline mike os

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 03:49:25 PM »
......perhaps there are occasions when the lathe is running and there's no need for suds coolant? ( not sure I can think of one right now... :scratch: )

cast iron? :wave:

would prefer to be able to switch it on & off seperately
Political correctness is a doctrine,  ... which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 03:56:37 PM »
......perhaps there are occasions when the lathe is running and there's no need for suds coolant? ( not sure I can think of one right now... :scratch: )

cast iron? :wave:

Yeah , thanks mike  :bow:

I knew there'd be a time .. brain fade again!   :doh:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Jonny

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 04:07:58 PM »
Sure you could still do it using original starter in conjunction with switch on the guard.
Never tried it except for car stuff but wont a relay in the circuit do it?
Worst case another micro switch in line.

Offline gunplummer

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 08:14:38 PM »
Thanks for all the input gents, I ended up wiring in to run with the motor sync'd with the chuck guard. Took a little head scratching but it's done. I also wired in a simple toggle switch so I can isolate and turn off the pump when it's not required. I'll take a few pics and see if I can download them. It was a fun little project, now for my mill/drill. Same basic issue but I think it well be a tad simpler without the exercise in deciphering so-so schematics.  Once again thanks to all.

Chris