Author Topic: Shapers large or small?  (Read 6169 times)

Offline ieezitin

Shapers large or small?
« on: January 16, 2011, 03:38:55 PM »
Fellas.
Back in my day ( Late 70ies ) our machine shop ( which serviced a paper mill ) had two full-size metal shapers which slapped and clapped in mechanical harmony  all day long, I was forever  using it for slotting keys, roughing out, gear teeth and it made dovetailing a doddle, it really is a very versatile machine.  Now I am at the stage in my shop where I need one, well just say I desire one, but there really is a good reason to have one for it saves on expensive tooling ( end mills and all that ) .

I am in tune with the secondhand market, I attend auctions regularly ( my whole shop has been furnished this way ) and I see full size machines turn up and are sold for nearly scrap value, then there are the small amateur  ones that go for silly prices. So here is my question, I know what full size machines can do but I never have had the opportunity to see what the scaled down models can do so anyone with experience I would like to know your thoughts. The information I am most interested in is are they up to snuff with being able to cope with abusive pressures it generates just by the nature of how it works, are there ranges  X Y Z practical for their size and what is there feed rates like?.

Next weekend  a  7”  Atlas metal shaper is for sale at a local auction, it’s in a sweet shape and it comes with an original vice and I am thinking about buying it, so if anyone has experience with this particular model I would appreciate the heads up. I have the Atlas horizontal mill which is a remarkable little machine and I hope the shaper is just as good.

It’s rare for me to machine large stuff; my largest lathe is a 12” x 36” Atlas and there has not been a job in my shop that I have not been able to accomplish so this may give you some scale for what I do

All the best    Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Shapers large or small?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 04:36:19 PM »
Personal opinion Anthony, forget about what you asked and just go and purchase that Atlas shaper. :beer:

If you find it's not working out for you I'd more than happy to give you the price you paid for and come and pick it up personally werever you live. :thumbup:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 04:53:46 PM »
I haven't used my Atlas shaper much. But I have been pretty impressed with it. Never had a chance to run a large one, So nothing to compare it to. I'll keep mine:o)
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 07:57:17 PM »
Anthony,

Was looking around on the net. I found a 7" Atlas shaper within 50 miles of me on Craig's list. Very good shape, $750 and one on E-bay down in MO. for, at this moment anyway, $425.

Here's the LINK

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 09:10:03 PM »
Bernd.

I thank you for the link to the machine for pricing purposes, I have had a lot of good feedback on this type of machine ( Atlas 7” shaper ) it seems I won’t go wrong with this little power house. I am probably going to buy it and take a chance.
BTW I live in northern Maryland just a hop skip and a jump from where you live, like I mentioned I am a regular attendee of auctions and always looking for machinery and tooling for our hobby and I always come across deals so if you wish PM Me with a number I can get you on and I would alert you on what I come across and I could buy it and meet you somewhere to make the exchange.

Thanks for your help…                    Anthony.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 02:14:21 AM »
The Atlas would be a big shaper for me as mine is an Adept 2!

It took me ages to learn how to use it properly and now it is my favourite machine since a fashioned an auto downfeed for it.  Has the Atlas got auto down feed?
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 06:48:36 AM »
No auto down feed:o( Do you have any details on yours? I'd like to see:o)
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 11:26:54 AM »
Well!

I did it and I got the shaper for $500, I paid full market price for it but I am very happy with it.

I did a quick once over cleaned up the most important parts, oiled and lathered her up then pulled the switch on and she started rocking, I have not ran a shaper for 25 years or so I just stood there for about 10 minutes while it swooshed away and studied what does what and such, with a piece of fresh 3/8 HSS stock I strolled over to the grinder and formed a roughing tool and threw it in the tool holder, slapped some scrap aluminum in the chuck set for a .010 cut then I let it loose.

The click feed (indexing ratchet) kept sticking so a slight tap with a mallet cured that problem, the clapper box was acting up by not quiet seating back ready for the cut stroke so a dose WD40 was ordered and surely enough it capitulated, now we were in business and she worked her magic like she was designed to do, with a little more tweaking mainly in the advance feed area it squared up my block and gave me a glass finish. I will get more pictures of its results this week and post them for all to see

Get off the truck!  you are heavy!!!

Mr red to the rescue

Here is my little machinery mover crane I built for putting machines into the shop

It’s been wheeled into the shop and the lifting arm has been attached ready to be lifted onto its temporary table ( I need to build a purpose designed unit as this one in no robust enough)

This is where it lives for now, this will be an early spring project to make the table.    All the best   Anthony.