Author Topic: Need help finding parts for lathe  (Read 11892 times)

Offline bonesmsd

Need help finding parts for lathe
« on: February 02, 2011, 03:06:32 PM »
I picked up this lathe over the weekend, and need to find a place for replacement parts if possible. Its a tws BL-1236. I believe its a lathe that several companies attached their name plates to. Saw a Slager that looked like the same machine. Need to locate a new gear, and any help is appreciated.

Offline Swarfing

Re: Need help finding parts for lathe
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 06:57:50 PM »
Forget the fact it looks modern in appearance with its square boxy shape etc etc the whole setup stinks of a southbend? i know it is not but many have followed the pattern and changed how it looks on the outside. These were made in Taiwan in the 70's so chances are that you need to look at a southbend copy as they copied the copies if you know what i mean? even though they have a worm type gear, the outside diameter will probably follow a standard size of some other lathe? get some dimensions of the gears and somebody maybe able to make one up for you? Taiwan never invented the lathe so they copied it from somebody?
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 10:33:46 AM »
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 10:37:20 AM by Swarfing »

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 10:42:24 AM »

Offline Jonny

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 11:08:31 AM »
Same as the Craftsman from Chester. If you are close to Cannock or North Wales, just pay either a visit they will have loads of scrappers!

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 11:58:34 AM »
LOL! check where is Jonny, he may need a slight detour :doh:

Offline Bryan

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 06:19:20 PM »
Looks like someone has welded the bull gear to the pulley. Someone else (presumably) has then tried to engage the back gear and it has stripped. That big gear and the cone pulley have to slide off the spindle before it will fit through the bearing. There are drawings here: http://www.bbssystem.com/viewtopic.php?t=608&sid=4e9b9ce9aed3fe339cbad01f808724bf

Let us know how you go. I would be interested to hear what sort of prices you find for the parts as I have a similar machine with similar problems.

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 08:35:45 PM »

Let us know how you go. I would be interested to hear what sort of prices you find for the parts as I have a similar machine with similar problems.

Bryan, you can find the parts prices in USD at the Grizzly site linked above just click on the Purchase Parts button.

Joe

Offline Bryan

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 08:45:33 PM »
Yes I just found that, thanks. Not used to finding such comprehensive info online. Points to Grizzly. The prices are quite reasonable too.

Offline Pete.

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 11:45:40 PM »

That is some first-class bodgery! Someone got fed up with the bull gear pin popping out :D

Offline Trion

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 03:10:46 AM »
That looks like a similar lathe to mine and a few other forum members on here.

As you have found out, grizzly and many others carry the same machine and they should have spare parts for you. If you need any detailed pictures of the lathe let me know. Good luck! :dremel:

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 06:58:53 AM »
See just goes to show that state side is not that far away? how do i know? because we shop at the same super market.....'TAIWAN' :lol:

Offline Bryan

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 05:40:14 PM »
Bonesmsd, in your intro you say you are new to lathes. In that case it's worth pointing out that you can probably use that lathe as is. I've done a lot of useful work on mine, and learned a lot without back gears. Back gears give you a low range of spindle speeds. You mainly use them for large diameter work, for threading and for parting off. There are work-arounds to somewhat compensate. Carbide cutters will help a lot for large work and parting. With threading you either get used to doing it at 300-odd rpm, or make a hand crank for the spindle. I don't want to discourage you from fixing it. But don't think you can't play with it in the meantime. Assuming everything else is ok of course.

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 12:42:28 PM »
Bones, I would follow Brian's advise, and work with what you've got and get a good feel for it, and then go for the fix.  I've got a perfectly operating lathe, but hardly ever use back gear except for really big cutting.  I've got a handwheel I use for fine threads, and use my lowest straight gear for most threading, used to have a dial indicator clamped to the bed to use for a stop point, but left that behind when I went DRO.  If you need good books on basics with the lathe, its hard to beat the old south bend lathe books which account for about ten or so booklets, showing how to do most things you can do on a nine inch lathe, and advertising their own versatility at the same time.  Good accurate information though, it was what we used when I got my year of machine shop in high school.  "Run what ya brung", learn to use it as is, and it will teach you a lot that you won't learn on a machine that has everything.  Enjoy making chips, if what you're working on doesn't turn out right the first time, just make sure you've got enough scrap for two of what ever you're making. :poke: :lol: mad jack

Offline bonesmsd

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 01:25:08 PM »
Thanks. That's the plan. I got it all cleaned up, repainted, oiled, and greased up. Going to move it into the shop, and see how it runs. In the last year, I've been buying misc tooling and books at garage sales in hopes I could afford a lathe. I have about 6 Kennedy boxes to dig through. I got tired of waiting for the machine shops to get my simple stuff done, so I'm hoping after some practice, I can start doing it myself.

Bones, I would follow Brian's advise, and work with what you've got and get a good feel for it, and then go for the fix.  I've got a perfectly operating lathe, but hardly ever use back gear except for really big cutting.  I've got a handwheel I use for fine threads, and use my lowest straight gear for most threading, used to have a dial indicator clamped to the bed to use for a stop point, but left that behind when I went DRO.  If you need good books on basics with the lathe, its hard to beat the old south bend lathe books which account for about ten or so booklets, showing how to do most things you can do on a nine inch lathe, and advertising their own versatility at the same time.  Good accurate information though, it was what we used when I got my year of machine shop in high school.  "Run what ya brung", learn to use it as is, and it will teach you a lot that you won't learn on a machine that has everything.  Enjoy making chips, if what you're working on doesn't turn out right the first time, just make sure you've got enough scrap for two of what ever you're making. :poke: :lol: mad jack

Offline bonesmsd

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 08:18:10 PM »
Cleaned up a little. Going to tackle the gear box tomorrow.

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 04:02:05 AM »
 :clap:Should make for a great little lathe and looks a Billion times better (thats a UK billion by the way LOL!)

Offline Pete.

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 09:51:18 AM »
Wow that's some transformation!

You've lost half of your 1 speeds but at least you've only lost the low-speed range. Yuo will find that you'll need it though soon enough. I would be very tempted to take a 1mm cutting disc on my mini-grinder and cut that weld down the middle, then find out why it was welded. Probably the bull-gear pin is shorn.