Author Topic: A day at the auctions!  (Read 6219 times)

Offline Rog02

• Madmodder Committee
A day at the auctions!
« on: November 12, 2008, 12:35:35 PM »
I spent yesterday at an auction of an old metal shop. The usual story, a going concern sold to a new owner that ran it into the ground. The bank forced the sale. Yadda, Yadda, same old song, different verse.

Most of the equipment was old and obsolete.  I about turned around and left after making my preliminary walk through of the pre-sale inspection, except I had promised to meet a friend and help him in assessing the Clausing drill presses.  Roy found me and we went back to inspect the drill presses, quickly eliminating the first, due to a cracked pulley, moving on to the second, which was in decent shape, and the third, variable speed model which was missing several pieces of the variable speed transmission.  Since he was actually acting as a proxy bidder for another friend of ours, who is rebuilding a variable speed Clausing, we settled on the VS DP as the likely "parts donor".  He'll have to tell you about his adventures with the Clausing Monster.

Anyway, the auctioneer was having a hard time getting bids on the small stuff so they just starting piling lots together and selling the pile. A bunch of 4 1/2" grinder flap wheels caught my eye so I bid in and they added a 48" rule and a 12" rule to the pile which I won the bid at $7 USD. I was pleased to acquire 4 new Klingspor flap wheels for the price of one but my heart jumped when they handed over the rules and I caught glimpse of "L.S. Starrett" on the 48"-er. A genuine C404R-48" heavy temper, in reasonable condition.  :bugeye:

When I got home last night I cleaned the rule with some thinner and began to wonder what it would actually cost to purchase a new one.  A quick look at the Starrett website gave me the pertinent information on the rule and confirmed that it is still available.  C4 designates the rule as a "heavy temper", the 4R is the "scale style" (1/16", 1/8", 1/32", 1/64"), satin finish stainless steel. 

I went to the usual Starrett suppliers looking for a price, where I found the C404R-48 a "price on request" item.  Failing to find the exact price, I did find a price on a C604R-48.  The C604R is the next step down in the line-up but the sale price of $173.99 tells me I am indeed lucky SOB!

I may send the rule over to my buddy at his NIST metrology lab and have him check it to see if it is still as straight as it should be.  A 4 foot machinist straight edge could prove handy! :dremel:

I'm chuffed!
Roger
I'm OLD, I'm TIRED, and I'M GRUMPY!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: A day at the auctions!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 01:10:30 PM »
Wonderful find,

Of course the rest of us...ok me, would have never known what the significance of the "Starrett" branding.

Lucky for you no-one else at the auction did either  ;D

Good feeling init..... :clap:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 04:29:26 PM »
Nice one Rog. Sometimes it pays to stick around at an auction. :clap:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 09:01:12 PM »
Great score Rog!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Rog02

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 11:59:02 PM »
Nice one Rog. Sometimes it pays to stick around at an auction. :clap:

Bernd

Sheesh Bernd, you would have gone nuts at this sale.  LOTS of huge, heavy iron setting about.  The South Bend 16" tripod lathe only brought $500, and several of the old CNC machines sold for $250 or less.  A Monarch 50 ton punch went for $75 and one of the old commercial MIG welders set up with 2 wire feeders (one for aluminum and one for steel) sold for $50. 

A lot of the stuff was being bought up by the scrappers.  I was chatting with one of the junkers after the sale and asked him if I could purchase a couple of the Jacobs ball bearing chucks on an old CNC tool carriage he had bought.  He told me to take all of them I wanted for free, cause they couldn't weigh enough to make that much difference.  I bought him a cup of coffee, my treat!  I got around to playing with the chucks tonight and much to my surprise all but one lubed up and spun freely.  Three 5/8", two 1/2", and 1 parts chuck.  I have to trace the numbers now and order the chuck keys and MT adapters to fit my Clausing lathe.

Yep, some days you win, some days you lose, and some days you just break parts.  Yesterday was one of those winning days. :D

Just to top off the winning streak from yesterday, I took my trash out to the community dumpster today and laying beside the dumpster where folks leave items to be recycled was a 20 foot long 9/16" log chain complete with hooks.  Needless to say I drug that home too!

Now, if the luck holds out, that lottery ticket I just bought should be a winner. :beer:

Sorry for the tool gloat, but I am so chuffed, I'm gobsmacked!
Roger

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 12:25:29 AM »
Tool gloats are great. It inspires us to find deals!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 06:34:10 PM »
I should look and see if there are auctions like that in my neck of the woods. Trouble is SWMBO says I will talk in a higher voice if I drag any more stuff home.  :jaw:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Rog02

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 11:14:15 PM »
I should look and see if there are auctions like that in my neck of the woods. Trouble is SWMBO says I will talk in a higher voice if I drag any more stuff home.  :jaw:

Bernd

LOL!  Start practicing your soprano!

Try this link for auctions in your area:  www.auctionzip.com

Enter your zip code and the distance you are willing to travel.
Roger