Author Topic: Peatol/Taig - can it be rescued?  (Read 9934 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Peatol/Taig - can it be rescued?
« on: January 20, 2011, 08:13:35 AM »
Hello, I`ve been offered this peatol lathe for £70, comes with milling attachment and tailstock. I`ve missed my peatol since I sold it a few months back...this is the only thing in my price range but would this surface rust come off without damage to the machine. I`m concerned about the bed!

Should I leave it?

Why am i posting...this is a gonner isn`t it!!

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
Re: Peatol/Taig - can it be rescued?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 08:46:06 AM »
Very rarely is a thing a complete gonner, but in this case, it might cost more to put right than what it is worth.

Once you start to flat down and remove rust on something this small, you are losing it's accuracy.

What annoys me is how some ar**hole could let a nice little machine like that get in such a condition. They need publicly flogging.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 08:47:53 AM by bogstandard »
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 08:55:39 AM »
Cheers John. I do understand that most things can be put right, but in terms of cost it is going to put me more to get it right. Thanks for your reply, you have confirmed what I thought.

:mmr:   you just saved me £70 and then £X ontop to put it right!

Chris

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 08:56:26 AM »
ohhh forgot to add, to be fair John, I think his dad had died and it has been sat in his dads garage only just uncovered recently.

Chris

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 09:17:53 AM »
What a SAD little lathe

I alway thought they had Mostly ali components ??? Must be wrong for it to rust so bad.

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 09:52:06 AM »
Chris, a brand new basic Peatol in kit form is listed at £170 + £10 shipping, so £70 for a completely knackered one is a bit optimistic. Bits of it might be worth having if they haven't seized up. The motor might be OK, the headstock and spindle might come in useful sometime, and the chuck might clean up. I'd give £20 for it, if you don't want to make an offer, and I'm not far away, as you know.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline boatmadman

• Located in Barrow in Furness, South Cumbria
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 11:26:38 AM »
If it works, take it apart and find out why!

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 02:51:24 PM »
Maybe I still have a lot to learn but I would give that a go! ::)

The most rust appears to be on the top flat surface of the bed?  I am sure there is a practical method of getting that to a new surface.

From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Andy

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 04:10:06 PM »
Probably not worth £70, considering the amount of work involved and possible loss of accuracy on what should be a very accurate machine. If you could get it for less it might be worth a gamble.

I have one of these, by the way. Excellent bit of kit, but mine gets little use now due to getting a bigger machine. It may end up on eBay before too long.
From probably the smallest, dampest and most untidy workshop in Bradford, West Yorks, England, if not the world..

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 06:08:53 PM »
Oh my.  That looks like it just came from the bottom of the nearest bay.   If it were for sale in the States it may be a different story, being parts for them are inexpensive and easy to come by.  A new bed is under £40 here.  I have a feeling they will be more in your area, and that is the part that seems to be most affected, and is also the part that needs to be done perfectly if you are to have a machine that will work as these should.

If you can get it for half the asking price, it may be worth the trouble.  Trouble is what it will be, too.  There is a lot of work here if you expect it to perform as it should, which would normally be stellar.
One thing about this, the bed is small enough that you could lap it flat on a large surface plate, if you are good at that kind of thing.  

How much does a new one run in U.K. money?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 06:12:04 PM by Dean W »
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 07:05:57 PM »
Thanks for the further replies. I did have one of these upto October time when I needed the money, wasn`t using it and then sold it. I know it is a luxory, but actually now I`ve got rid, I regret it as I did like the little machine for smaller work. I`m not saying I can`t do small work on my Boxford, I just liked the feel on the smaller peatol. I also had a Clarke cl300m which was a nice machine but I don`t miss at all as much as the Peatol.

http://www.raynerd.co.uk/?p=301

I wish I hadn`t sold it now  :( :( Such is life....

Dean, the Peatol as a kit lathe with no motor is £170 including 3 jaw. I think to kit yourself out with lathe, motor, tailstock and tool holder your talking £270ish.

http://www.peatolmac.talktalk.net/pricelist.pdf

Chris

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 07:07:21 PM »
Craynerd

Although it looks rough, Bogs said you may sacrifice accuracy through a restoration ( wont argue with that) it still maybe a challenge (I agree with Mr Hill ).

I don’t know your work load or how you roll in your shop but this little blighter just screams help me!. A refurbishment would certainly be a challenge to you, and a very rewarding adventure. But like I said I don’t know how you roll.  First things first would be let the owner know its worth a tenner.

I once spent 13 months restoring a South Bend lathe that came for a Fertilizer company, this Barstxard was shot but methodically day by day I honed her in and was very gratified by the results. Never made a penny from it but shop time was priceless.

Best of luck on all your decisions.   Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline fixit

• my first engine
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 02:43:23 AM »
I have a Taig to and the more i use it the better i'm getting with making things

Any who , where are you as i have a bed for one and you are welcom to it also i have a tailstock insert

let me know

Steve
northolt,near Mc donalds, next to Pc World

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 03:25:02 AM »
 :)  The bed was the bit I was worrying about.

I have to admit that my time in the workshop is limited and realistically I have more things I would rather do than recover this lathe at this price! That being said, I`ll make a much lower offer and see what happens. He is not local, so it is being delivered which adds £10 onto it.

Chris

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 08:34:39 PM »
Well, the price there kind of kills it for a cheap resto project.  I've had one for years, and have been thinking about getting a second.  The basic lathe here is about half the price you have there.  Shipping kills us no matter where we live!
You have an offer of a bed a no cost, though.  (Nice offer, Steve!)  That would make me think pretty serious about working with ol' Rusty Randy.  Especially if you can get it for about half what the fellow thinks it's worth.  It is worth only about half that, IMO.

Would be a good project if you can find the time, Chris.

Dean
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!