Author Topic: New tool  (Read 7663 times)

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
New tool
« on: January 15, 2011, 05:29:44 PM »
I bought one of the recently and it arrived today , Because I cannot get (up close and personal) whith the tool tip I think this may help me the more experianced will probreley laugh :lol: but it may help me plus it was not that expensive, will still face a bit first and see how the pip is removed but this may help me get near it  first time

http://www.edgetechnologyproducts.com/lathe-tool-positioning-gage.html

:ddb: Peter  :ddb:
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
Re: New tool
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 05:38:49 PM »
Well, that's kind of neat.  Nothing wrong with using a gadget if it helps you in getting set up.
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 05:50:36 PM »
Hi Peter

I have thought about making one of those , :proj:, looks a handy bit of kit , especially the fact that it can be fitted into the drill chuck for setting the tool  :dremel: 

Lets no how it works out  :thumbup:

Rob

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 08:38:23 PM »
Rob's not the only one thinking about making one. Good purchase I think Peter. let us know how it works!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 12:03:03 AM »
Peter,

Anything that helps you get over a problem is worth having.

Next time you come over, bring it with you and leave it for a few weeks, and I will give it a good dose of looking at for you.

John

If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 02:36:01 AM »
Ill drop it off with the batteries,

Peter

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 03:54:23 AM »
BTW Peter, that was just an offer to get it here, then I will use an old scouser trick, like never giving it back.

But on a serious note, it assumes your lathe is exactly level crosswise, and you don't come across a bit of tooling with negative top rake, as shown here. Very close to the bottom of the very first post, 3 pictures up. Tipped boring bars like this are now the norm. For all other tooling it should be just fine.

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=1661.0

John
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 03:56:20 AM by bogstandard »
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 01:55:08 AM »
BTW Peter, that was just an offer to get it here, then I will use an old scouser trick, like never giving it back.

But on a serious note, it assumes your lathe is exactly level crosswise, and you don't come across a bit of tooling with negative top rake, as shown here. Very close to the bottom of the very first post, 3 pictures up. Tipped boring bars like this are now the norm. For all other tooling it should be just fine.

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=1661.0

John

Ill give you a hand leveling your lathe so you can use it  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Peter  who is bringing his running shoes next visit   :D

:ddb:
also how do you level a lathe on a ship ???
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 01:57:28 AM by HS93 »

Offline benchmark

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 04:54:07 AM »
Interesting tool.  Till now i have always found my center by using a revolving center in my tailstock and i bring it right up to my cuting bit ,then keep adjusting the height of the cutting bit until the tip is exactly in contact with the tip of the revolving center. its quite easy and fast.
 Is there anyone who does the same or have i learnt something inaccurate?
See pictures and videos of my collection:
http://dampmaskiner.webs.com

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 09:41:21 AM »
Interesting tool.  Till now i have always found my center by using a revolving center in my tailstock and i bring it right up to my cuting bit ,then keep adjusting the height of the cutting bit until the tip is exactly in contact with the tip of the revolving center. its quite easy and fast.
 Is there anyone who does the same or have i learnt something inaccurate?

Yep, that's exactly what I do, except I use a dead centre rather than a live one - only because the point on the dead centre has gone rounded over the years.

Of course, for that method to be accurate, one has to be sure that headstock and tailstock are absolutely aligned vertically.... which I'm not, but so far it's given me no trouble.

also how do you level a lathe on a ship ???

Easy! Just wait until the ship is exactly level between two waves, and set your lathe up then. Unlike a land-based lathe, at least a ship's lathe will be dead level some of the time... (a bit like a stopped clock being exactly right twice a day).
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline mhh

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 03:07:22 PM »
*giggles* Well that is a nice little gadget and of course if it helps someone getting the tip in height I'll take my non existing hat of for that! What makes me giggle is that fact that its called the 'PRO Lathe gage' Which is really typical for something only a hobbyist would have the time for using! But again really nice little thingy and I hope that you will be happy for it! 

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 03:49:11 PM »
*giggles* Well that is a nice little gadget and of course if it helps someone getting the tip in height I'll take my non existing hat of for that! What makes me giggle is that fact that its called the 'PRO Lathe gage' Which is really typical for something only a hobbyist would have the time for using! But again really nice little thingy and I hope that you will be happy for it! 

Is that your attempt at being funny or just insulting.?  if you dont like it dont buy make steal or whatever I had better leave this site as I am not experienced enough to be in your presence of great one

Peter

Offline mhh

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 04:00:26 PM »

Is that your attempt at being funny or just insulting.?  if you dont like it dont buy make steal or whatever I had better leave this site as I am not experienced enough to be in your presence of great one

Peter

It was no way an attempt to be insulting and I'm truly sorry that you read it that way! If this tool helps you then it's a great tool! I have no doubt that it actually is a great tool and I can see the idea behind it!
What I think is funny is the way that many companies slap a quick anodizing on some aluminum making it look like something that belongs on a motorcycle and then adding the 'PRO' word!
Again! I'm truly sorry that you think I'm trying to be insulting!