Author Topic: Making a displacer cylinder from solid  (Read 20593 times)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Making a displacer cylinder from solid
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 02:28:43 AM »
Jack,

All this talk among you about posting, and maybe coming by and visiting, and the offers from others who happen to be stopping by makes me a bit jealous for being on the other side of the pond.

What I think people don't realise is just how ingrained engineering is in our UK blood.

We have been inventing and making things forever, and it was also passed around the world when we still had an Empire. That inventiveness and the wish to make things is still there, and lots of individuals in this country still while away the hours in their little sheds and workshops, burning the midnight oil.

Even in the fairly small town I live in, population of around 70K, there are hundreds of practicing model engineers, so it is only natural for a few of us to get together every now and then to beat our gums a while, and to help each other out, it is just a thing we do.

But it isn't just that.

A few of us have the desire to help others, no matter where they hail from. I personally have made lots of bits and pieces and sent them to the US, into Europe and the Antipodes, all in the name of friendship between fellow model engineers, never ever having met them face to face, and most, only thru email contact, but a lot have become sort of personal friends, because I personally made the effort to encourage that friendship.

It is up to the individual if he wants to become a member of that worldwide group, where race, colour, creed and how much money you have has no bearing at all, just the desire to share knowledge and help between ourselves. Forums help a lot, but sometimes it needs that personal touch.

John

That's a crackin' reply/ explanation John!   :D

Concise, and to the point......:clap: :clap: :thumbup:

David D

Yes:- John has it spot on we are a very creative helpfull bunch and in more ways than one.

We seem to have nocked this thread right off track beging creative.

:mmr:

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 12:26:04 PM »
Not a master at all, just someone who takes things steady and thinks everything thru before doing anything. Being prepared to do the job is 90% of the job done beforehand, the rest is just taking things easy and not rushing.

I beg to differ.  I've tried some of the things you've shown on here, and it takes me three tires if I get it right at all.  You have a knack.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline doubletop

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2011, 04:13:43 PM »
To assist our US cousins

Knackered = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knacker (one of those colourful/useful English words)

whereas "having the knack" is something completely different = http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/knack

No doubt somebody will provide the link between the two, (probably something to do with sharp knives).

Pete