Author Topic: Rust prevention!!  (Read 6217 times)

Offline JimM

• Chessington, Surrey
Rust prevention!!
« on: January 12, 2011, 03:28:03 PM »
Guys, I need some advice on some stop gap measures to help deal with condensation in my workshop. I went in it tonight and practically everything made of metal was literally dripping with moisture   :(

The workshop is actually a brick built single garage, concrete floor, window at one end and an up and over door at the other. Eventually I'd like to get it fully insulated but at the moment just the roof has been done. Ventilation shouldn't be the problem as there is a sodding great gap around the door and as such heating probably isn't a viable option. I do give the machines a coating of oil but it's hard to get every piece of bare metal and there are signs of rust appearing (fortunately it does wipe off !) Are there any other basic things I could do to try and improve things

1. Would covering the machinery in old blankets help (or would they just absorb the moisture and in turn prolong the time the machinery is in contact with damp)

2. Should I open the window a little to get a through flow of air

3. Is a dehumidifier likley to help

Thanks

Jim

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
Re: Rust prevention!!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 04:11:51 PM »
Jim,

As you most probably know, it is when the machines are below ambient temp that the condensation forms, that is why you try to ventilate as much as possible, hoping to keep the machines at the same temp as the surrounding air. The problems arise when the outside temp goes up, it can happen fairly quickly, but the machines can take weeks to get up there to even things out. So the water in the air is drawn to the cold machines.

A cheapo electric greenhouse heater, they look like plastic tubes, under each machine will help to keep them above ambient, as the tiny amount of heat produced is absorbed by the machines as it rises.

My shop is insulated, and I have a small oil filled rad running permanently in the shop during the coldest months of winter, and just that little bit of heat keeps everything rust and condensation free. Plus the machines don't act as anti radiators, sucking the heat from your skin when you get close. I started doing this a couple of years ago, and since, not one spot of condensation or rust anywhere.

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 04:34:53 PM »
The sign of living in the UK I am thinking Jim!

As a part of the answer to your questions. I too had this ailment with a few things being the main contributors...

My 10mm insulated roof, (20 years old when removed last year) was leaking through the jointing strips and the wooden wall plate was sodden and rotten as a result.

The floor was damp due to moisture seeping through the walls at low level due to earth above ground level being against it.

The door was an old non insulated one (probably interior?) and it's step had rotted away and allowed moisture in.

And them to top it all a whopping great hole into the garage which also has a non insulated up and over fitted.

So, I've had a new roof fitted (by me and my dad) 16mm polycarb'. Very well sealed from the elements!

The earth was removed from the walls and bitumen paint used as far down the wall as I could get and right up the wall too.

The door is now a composite insulated door with weather seal.

and I filled the hole in with 50mm foil backed foam sheets (like the kingspan stuff builders use).

Now after all that I've noticed that even in my paranoid state  (of still coating the machines with oil off a rag and or spraying with duck oil)  that there is no moisture in there to cause the same annoyance as last year :ddb: 
There have been no drips falling from the roof (it was like raining when you shut the door!!) and I haven't got a heater in there at all!

I Know this stuff is costly... I paid for much of it. Scrounged the rest.

But I think that insulation and protection is your only hope. But till then I'd duck oil the carp out of every machine bed while you're not using it..... Trouble is you have to wipe 'em down when you come to use them next time!

Personally I would not open the window, I would think that'd let more moisture in? Fog/mist etc (we've got plenty of that!!)

The de-humidifier I'm not sure. Couldn't hurt I suppose But might be costly running etc?

I know, probably not much help, but it's what I know.

Ralph.

P.S. When you come to sort out the garage door ask me for details and the likes.... you live too far away for me to help with the fitting but I'll sure give you Impartial advise so you don't get ripped off :thumbup:
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline krv3000

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 06:19:41 PM »
hi just one tip pant the floor this will stop damp cuming in thruw the concrete

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 08:45:32 PM »
Jim.
I have had this problem for years, my shop although larger than yours is built the same way and my weather conditions are the same as yours.
I have a overhead fan in the shop running on slow all winter just circulating the air. Second I have a oil filled rad on the lowest temp setting on all through the season as well ( very little cost to the electric bill ) third is I regularly  oil and swipe all most important tools and machinery, it’s a chaw but necessary.

There is no easy way out but you have to keep an eye on it, these two methods have served me well but saying that you still need to keep an eye on things.

I have a very expensive gun which I keep in the house and I have not touched in 9 months, I pulled it out this week end to shoot it and found some surface rust in the tip of the bore ( which pissed me off ) I stowed it away oiled and lubed but the length of time got to it. Stay vigil.

Hope this helps.   God bless   Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 09:16:23 AM »
An old computer power supply running a fan or two will help circulation quite a bit.  Just keeping the air moving helps to eliminate a lot of condensation.

Also, a bit of heat works wonders.  This can be anything from Bog's oil heater to simply a couple of old fashioned incandescent light bulbs.  Keeping the air just a bit above ambient and moving is key to keeping things from rusting. 
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Jonny

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 10:02:16 AM »
Similar situation Jim but apex roofed.

Underside boarded up and loft insulation laid between rafters. Boarded over plus chuck all the old boxes on top of that, keeps noise down.
Partitioned off with that cheap interlocking chipboard floorboard stuff.

Only use an oil filled thermostatic rad on lowest, takes its time to warm up but more economical than a cheap halogen from the market on one bar!

The only time i get any rust is if the other door has been left ajar and let the moisture in when cold. This could be over a couple of hours or months.

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 02:36:43 PM »
It's just warmed up here in Colchester (13°C this afternoon) . My workshop looked like someone had sprayed a hose around the place :(

I'm considering adding heaters to the machine tools, there's no point heat the workshop space as the thin steel roof is thermally transparent .

To save power I'm thinking of a simple circuit that will measure the ambient air and tool temperature, if the tool is cooler than the air, or the air temperature is rising, it'll put the heaters on.

Bill
Bill

Offline JimM

• Chessington, Surrey
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 03:46:22 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for all the advice, looks lkie my best short term solution is to try to warm the machines up a bit. Think I'll grab a couple of oil filled rads and leave them on the minimum setting to see if that helps - might cost  bit in leccy but cheaper than trashing the machinery !

Cheers

Jim

ps Ralph, thanks for the offer I'll drop you a line when I come to doing the insulation for more advice