Author Topic: Grinding wheels  (Read 3453 times)

Offline JimM

• Chessington, Surrey
Grinding wheels
« on: January 07, 2011, 04:20:56 PM »
I need a couple of new wheels for my 6" bench grinder. It will be used for various jobs but primarily for sharpening HSS tools so I'm assuming Aluminium Oxide will be the best to go for. Are all wheels pretty much the same or are some makes better than others ?  Any suggestions on ones to look out for and what combination of grits give the best rsults ?

Thanks

Jim

Offline picclock

Re: Grinding wheels
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 06:14:44 PM »
Hi Jim

Hope you had a good Xmas.

Best wheels I've got so far came with a grinder from Wickes. Bought one from Machine Mart but was very unimpressed. B&Q grinder with wheels - now defunct - was nowhere near as good. Probably best ones are inherited from my Dad, at least 60 years old, sadly now too worn out. I think they knew how to make them then.

Have a flat Diamond wheel dresser and a steel one for de-polishing the surface if you ever need a loan.

Best Regards

picclock

Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline JimM

• Chessington, Surrey
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 07:17:17 AM »
Hi Picclock

Thanks for the heads up on the Wickes wheels, spend half my life in there at the moment (never ending DIY jobs !) so shouldn't be any problem picking a couple up

Cheers

Jim

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 08:09:27 AM »
The normal way to go is to have a normal oxide wheel on one side and a green wheel, for grinding tungsten, on the other.

They can be obtained thru most model engineering suppliers, and don't forget to order a good flat faced diamond dresser at the same time.

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline jim

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 09:38:06 AM »
i've got some knocking around (off cheap bench grinders) if you want a couple.

best investment i made for tool grinding was a diamond wheel, finishes the tool off a treat!
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it