Author Topic: NE15 plans by Nemett (Malcolm Stride) - ME issues?  (Read 9685 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
NE15 plans by Nemett (Malcolm Stride) - ME issues?
« on: January 01, 2011, 04:59:16 AM »
Although I have definately decided on the Webster engine for my next build, I`m eager to source plans for Malcolm Strides (Nemett) NE15s IC Engine.
I believe they are in back issues of Model Engineer but since Malcolm died, I believe the plans are no longer available. Unfortunately it is very difficult to search online for the plans and after litterally a good few hours I have decided to post on here.

[/img]http://modelenginenews.org/cardfile/images/ne15s1.jpg[img]

This is the engine:
http://modelenginenews.org/cardfile/ne15s.html

Malcom did write a good book apparently on IC engines: Miniature Internal Combustion Engines which has the NE15s on the front cover! The plans for the NE15s are not covered in the book.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Miniature-Internal-Combustion-Engines-Malcolm/dp/1861269218

Could anyone clarify if they are available to buy from anywhere?  I have read that the NE15s was in back issues of Model Engineer!! I can`t for the life of me find out which issues the engine was covered in. As you can see I have looked into this and I`d really like the plans for a good read and to file away for future build. If anyone can help me out I`d appreciate it. The engine also gets a few hits from ModelEngineNews. I am not a member of this site but it may be worth joining if the plans are available on here.

Sadly, if you start googling, there is a lot of dicussion surrounding the nature of his death, which makes it difficult to look for the plans! If anyone can help me out I`d really appreciate it.

Chris

Offline Jasonb

Re: NE15 plans by Nemett (Malcolm Stride) - ME issues?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 05:20:06 AM »
Its easy to find them on-line if you know the approx year, just look at one of the ME index pages.

http://www.groundlevel.demon.co.uk/me_index.html

Looks like Vol 196 issue 4271 and alternate issues after that less that 2 mins :D

It would be worth getting several issues befor as he does talk about the design etc and some testing in earler issues, best to buy full volumes from e-bay for about £6 a time and a lot cheaper than the drawings were. I have a feeling that some of the cam betails may have only been on the drawings though

One of my fellow traction engine builders has made this engine, his pics are below but I seem to recall seeing him selling his set of the  plans on Homeworkshop

http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg203/hudmut/4%20Stroke%20Engine/

J
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 05:28:24 AM by Jasonb »

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 08:45:37 AM »
 :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: truth is I`d been searching for a couple of nights for the plans and to find the ME numbers! I since used the database as you showed and can now find the vol number, as you said, vol 196. Sadly, nothing on ebay at present so I will have to keep my eyes open! Really appreciate that, cheers Jason.

Chris

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 09:09:48 AM »
Gert has just sold a full volume of 196 on Ebay  :doh:
She has another volume but it's missing 3 issues and going by the numbers only one is relevant.
i can scan the pages relating to nemmit from the sold one [ hasn't gone yet ] if that will suit you ?
John Stevenson

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 01:08:43 PM »
John
I`d really really appreciate that and I`d certainly owe you one!! I have to be honest, my intention is not to build it right away as I`m going to try the Webster first but it is something I would really like to read and plan for a near future build providing the Webster works out.
Chris

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 02:34:50 PM »
Chris,
i was offering to scan the missing article to make the incomplete volume complete as regards the Nemmit article.

i don't have time to scan all the articles.
John Stevenson

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 02:44:23 PM »
John, yes, sorry misunderstood there. I would still be interested! Makes sense!! 

PM sent to you.

Chris