Author Topic: New lathe  (Read 5852 times)

Offline scrapman

New lathe
« on: December 08, 2010, 12:20:02 PM »
Hi all  :wave:, i said i needed a bigger lathe, the sherline is a little small, so i have purchased a myford ml 10 off ebay,
i was lucky it was only 10 miles away, it came with three jaw chuck, faceplate, tailstock chuck, a set of change wheels,
motor and new layshaft and bearings, 

Ray.

Rob.Wilson

Re: New lathe
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 12:24:14 PM »
Very nice Ray   :clap: :clap: :clap: :dremel:

Looks like it has not done allot of work  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:,,,,,,,,,, will you still be keeping the Sherline ?

Rob

Offline scrapman

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 02:02:37 PM »
Hi Rob :wave:, thank you for the comment, not sure about the sherline Rob it's handy for making small stuff ,

Ray,

Offline kwackers

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 02:28:15 PM »
Nice lathe!

You can do small stuff on a big lathe...
But what you can really do with a small lane is sell it/swap it and buy tooling for the big lathe.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 03:14:38 PM »
That looks nice Ray!  :thumbup:

Well done.....  :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline scrapman

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 08:08:55 PM »
Hi David  and kwackers :wave:, Thank you for the comments,   today i put the ML10 all together greased and oiled it and adjusted the gibs
and had it running :ddb:,

Ray
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 06:10:11 AM by scrapman »

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 12:42:47 AM »
A very nice one!  I looks like it's in really good condition.
I'd keep the Sherline.  I have a larger lathe, but will never sell my Taig/Peatol.  It's much easier making small
parts with a small lathe.  Very handy to have both if you have the room.
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline scrapman

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 04:12:56 AM »
Hi Dean  :wave:, thank you for the comment, i probably will keep the sherline its very handy, i had a peatol lathe it's a great little machine  :thumbup:

Ray.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 04:15:57 AM by scrapman »

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 08:13:01 AM »
Hi Ray, it looks like you've picked up a real keeper, that Myford looks very well kept, and in good shape. I would definitely keep the sherline, while it probably won't do anything the Myford won't, it probably does the very small things easier, and it can always be used as attaching parts for the myford, such as a milling column or cutter and grinding head for the cross slide.  In my opinion, you will probably make as much of your kit as you buy, because much of it will be special to the line of things you are turning out at any given time, and the more common will be looked for and found used, more often than new.  Have you turned anything on it yet, to test its truth?  you're going to be boring cylinders on it, so headstock square with the bed is a must and facing off flat is pretty important, and tells you the state of your cross slide, relative to the bed.  If those are off, it's much nicer to find out before you have something important mounted, and have to straighten it out.  That certainly is a fine looking lathe all in all, congratulations. :headbang: mad jack

Offline scrapman

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 01:53:31 PM »
Hi Jack  :wave: thank you for your comments, I havent turned anything on it yet, I adjusted the saddle gibs with the saddle at the centre of the bed and then run the saddle from one end to the other with the chuck removed without any sign of tightening that i could see, i will order test bar and a pair of new dead centres to check the headstock tailstock allinement,
The friend i bought the lathe off i have known for 10 years, He fitted a new layshaft and bearings while i was there and had serviced the motor :thumbup: although the old ones showed little sign of wear ,

Ray.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 06:25:00 PM by scrapman »