Author Topic: Photograghing Your Projects  (Read 5857 times)

Offline Rog02

• Madmodder Committee
Photograghing Your Projects
« on: November 02, 2008, 12:00:58 PM »
Also I like your photo technique. They are well lighted to see the details.   So many times peoples pics are dark and it is hard to see the detail.
Bernd

I use Ifranview for my every day photo editor program.  It is a free download and is well supported as it is a product of the IT labs at the University of Vienna.  The program is intuitive to use and will allow for resizing and image correction with a couple of simple keyboard prompts. 

I use a basically inexpensive Kodak digital snap shot camera and shoot most stuff on the "Auto" setting.  Once I have the picture in the large format I simply use Ifranview to download it and edit it to the size I desire.  If the picture is too dark I use the gamma correction to adjust the picture.  The same effect can be achieved by utilizing the darkness and contrast but the Gamma is a single adjustment sufficient for most web resolution shots.  If you have need to conserve bandwidth as some sites do, the Save mode allows you to decrease the quality when you save the photo to your files. 

http://www.irfanview.com/

All in all, I whole heartily recommend Ifranview for anyone looking for a simple photo editor.  The price is right and it works.

I have no financial interest in the software mentioned.  I am just a satisfied user.  As usual Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV).
Roger
I'm OLD, I'm TIRED, and I'M GRUMPY!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Photograghing Your Projects
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 12:44:04 PM »
Rog,

I use an older Olympus camera. It came with HP software that allows an ajustment called "adaptive lighting". It brings out all the detail. I can then adjust the brightness.
The best part is the resizing. I take the largest resolution the camera allows, 1600 X 1200, and then I can resize to web page display of 640 X 480.

I'll keep the software you mention in mind. Thanks for the link.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Rog02

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 08:26:48 PM »
Bernd:

Sounds like we follow the same method on photos.  I shoot everything in the highest resolution my camera will take and then resize and alter as needed for posting.  I have the HP/Kodak software that came with my camera and the Kodak PictBridge software that came with the printer and the software that came with the camera dock, not to mention Adobe Photo shop Light.  LOL!  I got enough graphic stuff to choke a hard drive and still keep coming back to my old IfranView.

The point I was trying to make is that a person can lighten those dark pictures, because like you I find some of them hard to see. 

One other thing worth mentioning is that I lost a bunch of photos once in a drive crash.  As those were taken in parts of the world I will never get to visit again, they are just memories now.  I routinely burn my collected photos to CD format.  CD burners are relatively cheap these days (Perfect Egg was selling some for as little as $32 USD).  They come with the software to burn and copy discs so they can be a nice cheap add-on to your system if it already does not have one.  I actually have two in this system which makes copying disc a much easier task.  I also use the disc burner to copy music CDs for the shop.  I keep the expensive masters at home and take the copies out to the shop where they do get scratched from the dust. 

Just thinking out loud again.  YMMV!
Roger
I'm OLD, I'm TIRED, and I'M GRUMPY!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 09:28:34 PM »
Rog,

I downloaded IfranView. I played with it a bit on some pics. It's alot more versitale then the HP stuff. What I like about IfranView is the fact you can add print to the pic. Makes it easy to add extra info right to the pic. I need to play around with it somemore before I switch over from the HP program. Thanks for sharing that info.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds