Author Topic: Gallmeyer and Livingston Universal Grinder No. 4  (Read 3760 times)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Gallmeyer and Livingston Universal Grinder No. 4
« on: January 09, 2011, 09:06:58 PM »
A few years ago I acquired a big universal grinder. It's not in that good of shape, But it's better than nothing and its mine. When I first got it the spindle was gummed up. I took it apart to refurbish it and got sidetracked a bit. I was trying to decide if I wanted to replace the brass bushings with bearings.  I've decided to stick with the bushings for now. Anyway, I've cleaned the junk off of it and decided it's time to clean it up and finish cleaning the spindle up and mount a new motor.

I plan on reworking a couple things. It is missing some of the table feed stuff near the bottom of the cabinet. I will mount a separate motor for the table feed. I have a 1 hp motor for the spindle. I have to make a mounting bracket for it. It will need a couple of spindle pulleys made.

Oh Yeah, You folks like pictures.

Here is the door on my Grinder.

An overall shot.

Unfortunately some of the feed stuff is missing.

More later.....
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
Re: Gallmeyer and Livingston Universal Grinder No. 4
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 09:59:29 PM »
Wes, l am looking forward to see what you do with this.  I don't know much about this machine but it looks stout.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 01:03:01 PM »
My main focus will be to get the motor mounted and pulleys and a belt made for the spindle. I bought some leather strips off of Ebay to make up a belt.
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 04:05:37 PM »
Wes,

I have always found that plain bearings, correctly adjusted and lubed, always gave a much better surface finish than roller or taper bearings on lathes, so I would suspect the same would be with a grinder. But they do usually have to run a little slower.

John
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175