Author Topic: Hammer/ Wrench and Spindle Stop for X-2 Mill  (Read 5274 times)

Offline 75Plus

Hammer/ Wrench and Spindle Stop for X-2 Mill
« on: December 04, 2010, 06:25:32 PM »
Shortly after I got my X-2 a couple of years ago I ran across some 17mm sockets at a close out store priced at $1 each. I bought two and made this Hammer/Wrench (Spanner) for tool changing. The material I used was 3/8" hot rolled steel. I made a tee 1 5/8" wide by 6 1/2" long. I drilled a clearance hole for a #10 machine screw through the tee. This screw would hold the tool together. The soft face hammer is made from a 1" long piece of 1" round nylon. 5/8" of the piece was turned down to .715" for a press fit into the socket. A 1/2" deep hole was drilled and tapped for the #10 screw. I temporarily covered the handle with PVC shrink tubing. Works great and the nylon, although it has spread on the end, is standing up well to the usage.

Here is what it looks like.

I also found it inconvenient to use the spindle stop supplied with the mill so I made a self retracting, fixed. stop. In measuring the access hole for the supplied stop I found the diameter was suitable for at least 3 tap sizes. 10mm, 3/8 - 24 or 1/8" USS pipe thread. Having a brass fitting with a 1/8" thread I used it.  I removed the upper cover to get dimensions and tap the hole to 1/8-27 pipe threads. Once the dimensions are known this mod could be done with no dis-assembly required. Cast iron taps well dry and adding a small bar magnet to the side of your tap will collect all the cuttings.

I started with a 2 3/4" piece of 5/16" round stock. I left a length of .600" at 5/16 and reduced the remainder to 1/4". I filed a flat on the small end for the set screw of the set collar I used to retain the spring. I used a spring from my "stash of stuff". I find this to be one of the best mods I have made for this mill. Here it is.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 06:29:55 PM by 75Plus »

Offline j45on

• My tiny workshop Location Ashford Kent
Re: Hammer/ Wrench and Spindle Stop for X-2 Mill
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 06:39:50 PM »
Great work  :thumbup: and great ideas
Your hammer is now going on my list of things to make right after I have a go at your spindle stop  :bow:
Jason

Offline Jonny

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 06:50:39 PM »
One of the first things i did when i got my super lux mill 6 1/2 years ago was to knock up a spindle lock.
Splines protrude out the head on these so bolted a 2x1" aluminium block on top of head with above piccy spindle lock, easy.

Now need a pneumatic draw bar, fed up of breaking them with hammers.

Offline j45on

• My tiny workshop Location Ashford Kent
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 12:18:00 PM »
I eventually got around to making your spindle stop

just need to figure out how to tap and drill my mill with no drill  :dremel:
Jason

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 09:39:49 PM »
Jason, I have an X2 Sieg minimill. The hole that is provided for the supplied stop rod can be threaded 3/8 16, 3/8 24, 1/8" USPipe or 10mm. I went with 1/8" USP as I had a brass fuel line fitting handy.

Joe