Author Topic: Heron's Aeolipile  (Read 82733 times)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
Re: Heron's Aeolipile
« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2009, 01:10:35 PM »
Well.....

I think Ralph is going to use a single bearing due to the burner having to go at the bottom.

This is not entirely correct at the mo' John.... I'm toying with a spike right up it !!!  :bugeye:

I'm just trying it to see how it reacts? You got to try the silly simple stuff first and work your way up to super complex ehh?

Your idea Stew is not a hundred miles off from what I'm going to try first.... I'm just not going to employ a ball bearing at this time  :) 

Something like this.... Oh and I got a pirate version of Crap 'o' Cad from the pound shop today  :lol:  (it comes in Quad colour.... Just decided not to use the green  :headbang: )

Still pretty crappy in the hands of an unskilled artist though!!  ::)  The jets will look very different in reality!!

Stew, your C-o-C's are still welcomed, They may inspire another approach?

To everyone who contributes and adds their opinions, thank you for taking the time to think about my workings.... It all helps. What I or someone does not use on todays project will certainly be useful in next weeks or even one next year!   :thumbup:

I'm taking everything on board.... I've just got to put it into practice!

Ralph.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 01:14:15 PM by Divided he ad »
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #126 on: January 21, 2009, 01:27:07 PM »
Ralph
One suggestion. Move the jets to the upper part of the sphere so there is room for steam accumulation and more available water. A pair of bearings in be base will be a bit more stable as well.

Steve

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #127 on: January 21, 2009, 02:18:43 PM »
I don't see why the spike method wouldn't work.  The old style tire balancers used a similar method.

Point the jets up slightly to keep it planted, or it might just take off on ya.  I doubt a steam filled metal ball sailing around the room would do the decor much good!
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2009, 04:54:25 PM »
They don't like it up em Captain Manering.  :lol:  but I like that idea.  :thumbup:

I pressed the delete on my c-o-c but I can reserrect it, in fact I've had a new idea, bit late to sort out the posting bean setting up new printer and its past my bed time.   :coffee:  I'll post them tomorrow.

Cheers
 :wave:
Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #129 on: January 21, 2009, 05:09:32 PM »
Steve... "The jets will look very different in reality!! " I should have said "this drawing is as crap as it gets and they were only added for effect!!"  The idea is still to emulate the Karsten design a little in that area  :)

I think he hit the nail well and truly on the head with his designs... I'm just trying to make some fun things as gifts etc   :thumbup:

There is no problem with Stews suggestion, I'm just working my way through the ways and means... I want to know I've tried all the aproaches I can think of, as well as those that others have already made (clearly they work!)

Roger,

I think your right about the jets.... If you see the rate that the Karsten ones spin at then it could well take a spinning leap into the general area of those watching!! (Not good!) I hadn't got that far to see yet  :)

I'll try to get in the 'shop friday I think? See if I can't make a boggie wonder bender and get some jets made  :dremel:

We will see.... Experiments here we come  :zap:   :dremel: 

Stew.... That's a bit of an "in" joke.... But damn funny  :lol: 

Looking forward to the new ideas....   Still waiting for the one Bernd said he had about a frame?  :poke:

Ralph.

bogstandard

« Reply #130 on: January 21, 2009, 07:09:56 PM »
Ralph,

Piddle on time. :(

Your single point bearing system, I think, will cause you a few sleepless nights. :bang:

That method is OK if you use one at either end of the ball. Having one point bearing will mean you will have to have it perfectly balanced to prevent oscillations and so large amounts of friction. Especially as you will be using a very unstable medium ie boiling water, that just cannot be balanced due to the formation of differing sizes of bubbles.

I have done a C-o-C to show what I originally thought you were going to do.

Bogs

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »
Looking forward to the new ideas....   Still waiting for the one Bernd said he had about a frame?  :poke:

Ralph.

I was all set to add some ideas and C-o-C. Went to upload to my web site and they had changed my pass word. Spent the last couple of hours getting everything working again. Now my head hurts.  :bang:

Hopefully I'll get something tomorrow.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: January 22, 2009, 03:51:53 AM »
Hi Chaps

My other idead is the same as the one John just posted great minds think alike, the only thing I can add is if you could get a taper roller bearing small enough it would be just the ticket  :thumbup:.

I'll still post the C-O-C any way, I need to learn how to post off scans, up to now I've been taking phots and posting these.

:offtopic:

Sorry about the "Dad's Army Joke" I forgot that our colonial friends may not get that programme, when we're on obout the 20th re-run,

still wet myselve on the "Don't tell him Pike" gag,  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

the old ones are the best.

Have Fun

Stew

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #133 on: January 22, 2009, 04:18:11 AM »
John,

That is still the general idea.... I just decided to try other stuff too   :dremel:  It's all a bit of fun funding these things out  :)

Don't worry I'm not going to let the side down   :thumbup:

No rush Bernd.... How did they (who are they?  :borg: ) change your password? That sounds a bit more than annoying!

What's your name? .... well with friends like that!! :)

the old ones are the best.
Mmmmm, are you sure about that Stew? .... I just think they have had longer to learn from more mistakes!!  :lol:   (I know wierd sense of humour!)

Can you get taper rollers that small? (13mm OD, 5mm ID) I suppose they make em? I'll have a look around,check the pricing!
Got loads of little ball bearings to use first though :thumbup:

Well got work soon so..... Till later  :wave:

Ralph.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #134 on: January 22, 2009, 09:49:20 AM »
I know this post my be a little late to the party but here is a great book on using the H type press for making shapes and stampings of sheet metal.
http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=106.0

Along with a type of forum for users of a jewelry type or style of press.OR more correctly it is set up as an old style board. http://www.bonnydoonengineering.com/ceilidh/ceilidh.html

They use the Masonite,hardboard, and Lexan plastic along with Derlin for the die's forms and the big time use of urethane rubber of assorted hardness's. It also covers making a type of hinged cut out die for cutting out limited run numbers of silver sheet jewelry parts that can be used for the softer non ferrous metals.

Boony Doon also makes a type of saw that is used to cut out the flap die punch. Most all the info can be adapted to general home shop type use.

I can also recommend the book that I linked to in the resources it covers most answers etc.

Here is also a great resource for info on the use of urethane products. Source for those across the pond but it is a US source but you maybe able to track down the type of products near you!.
http://www.acrotechinc.com/
 :thumbup:
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #135 on: January 22, 2009, 09:54:32 AM »
Ralph,

They didn't get my pass word. What ISP does is not let you in to your site. They send you a new pass word to get in and then you change it to what you want. It was for security reasons. I'm back running again. Still need to clear up one issue and then I'll be all set.

Ok, now on to my suggestions. After looking at that last C-o-C of yours I figured that ball won't probably run very good on a pivot such as you had drawn. Here's my idea I'd like to enter for your brain to think about.

On a shaft mount two bearings make sure the shaft is about 3/4 the length of the ball dia. :scratch: I'm sure you got that, but just incase. Let's say the ball is 2" in dia. you would make the shaft 1.75" long to mount the ball bearings on.

Now comes the part about making it look "pretty", at least I think so. I have done this type of work(?) since I was very young and enjoy it very much. It's called "fret work". I believe it acutally started in the UK eons ago. Here's a link to better understand what's involved:  Fret Work

And here's some of the work I've done. It's a piece of wood 1/8" thick X 2.5" wide X 3.375" long. Bascially you glue a pattern on the wood and cut it out. Same can be done with 1/8" thick metal (brass, copper,etc.).

And here's an example C-o-C of what I envision for a Heron's Aeolipile"

Of course you could make it a lot fancier than my C-o-C, but you get the idea.

So that's my input to your project of a Aeoipile.

Oh I get a commission on all that you make from my ideas by the way. I want to get paid in gold though.  :lol:

Regards,
Bernd

P.S. I found another web site that better represents fret work: http://www.woodworkzone.com/shelley/fretwork/fretwork_clocks.htm
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 10:11:00 AM by Bernd »

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: January 22, 2009, 02:25:24 PM »
Hi Ralph 

Looks like I've got this scanning thing sorted. :thumbup:

Idea 1:  Not to good as it'l get in the way of the flame.

Whoops the B****rs upside down      :lol:

Idea 2:  Same as John's idea but my C-o-C is more artistic.

Idea 3:  Uses picture frame wire and a fishing swivel as used on lures  (spinners)

I think your information banks are averflowing now.

Have Fun

Stew

« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 03:00:37 PM by sbwhart »

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2009, 08:52:32 PM »
Ok, I think I have enough to run with?! Well there's plenty of things to try anyway... That'll keep me busy for months  :D

Bernd.... Holy fretwork batman!!!! :jaw:   That site is quite astounding.... I am not sure of my patience levels meeting that kind of requirement!   :scratch:

The bearing idea is one to think about... And I have had a little help from elsewhere too  :thumbup:

Stew,
The upsidedown version would be quite interesting... How would I get the flames to travel down and the water to stay at the top?  :lol:

The string is definately out! too easy!

The bearing over version is one that I saw a long time ago when I first started looking into this toy (bout 2.5 years ago!) I'm just trying not to copy it... Even though it is probably the best solution?!

I saw your other post on the metals.... The goblet should be used.... Should be fun  :)  Give it a go, it has every chance of turning out to be a nice piece?  :dremel:

PT,

Never too late to a party that is no where near finished  :wave:  The links will be investigated  :thumbup:

Ralph.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2009, 10:15:22 AM »
Its  :poke:

About  :poke:

Time   :poke:

Ralph  :poke:

Had  :poke:

Another  :poke:

Post  :poke:

On This Link :poke:

Stew

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #139 on: February 15, 2009, 12:23:03 PM »
Here's one......

:ddb:    (we need a tongue pulling smiley!!)

I'm kinda busy..... Well I have been a bit!!   :D

I'm working on other stuff too you know.... Top secwet!  :thumbup:

I'll get something done soon enough.....

Ralph.

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #140 on: February 15, 2009, 05:27:33 PM »
Whats funny.. I was talking to my best friend just yesterday, and we were talking about your Aerophile..... and I tooo was wondering what the status is  :poke:

:D
SPiN Racing

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #141 on: February 15, 2009, 08:13:09 PM »
Oh O!! .... Being discussed.... This is serious!

I'd better pull my finger out ehh?!?

I'll dedicate an evening to it in the week.... There are a lot of design issues to sort through.... I want this to be repeatable!!   :smart:

I could have probably finished a one off ages ago!

I'll try a bit harder to get the prototype finished and spinning   :dremel:

Ralph.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #142 on: May 21, 2009, 08:44:08 AM »
Its  :poke:

About  :poke:

Time   :poke:

Ralph  :poke:

Had  :poke:

Another  :poke:

Post  :poke:

On This Link :poke:

Stew

Ah.................. I'll add a  :poke:

Bernd

bogstandard

« Reply #143 on: May 21, 2009, 10:01:10 AM »
Ralph,

I told you when we were down the scrapyard, you should have grabbed a few of those brass balls spheres.

John

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #144 on: May 21, 2009, 11:44:21 AM »
Wasn't there someone on this site doing a project on Heron's Aeolipile  :scratch:.

Stew

:poke:

:lol:

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #145 on: May 21, 2009, 02:23:44 PM »
Well here's how it is guys.....

I got all the bench cleaned down last week after I'd made the mill power drive mechanics. I got out the Aeolipile tray from under the bench and got it all tidy (so far so good!)

Then I sat there designing some bits and bobs, scribbling some ideas down to aid in the construction (As you do!)

Then it got late and I was getting drowsy, so I went in and that was it for the night.

I went back into the shop quickly on sunday to grab some stuff I needed and in my haste I managed to send the ball flying across the 'shop  :jaw:   :doh:  :bang:

It hit the concrete with a thud and a pop!  It now has a dent in it's side and a split around it's join..... As you might imagine I was not too happy with this and might have said "bother" a few times.... Or words to that effect!

So in conclusion to this post..... I'm going to start to make the new MkII when I find a cheap supply of cartridge brass sheet 0.5-0.7mm thick! (and about 150mm square!)

I'll finish at least one of these if it kills me!

Ralph  :(

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #146 on: May 21, 2009, 03:00:27 PM »
Ralph

A bit of a bummer denting your ball like that  :(

Getting hold of the (70/30) cartridge brass may be a bit difficult, one source could be a fired shell case, you see them nocking about the scrap yard, people have used them for umbrella stands etc, you'd have to cut them down the length and open them up. I'll keep an eye open for you.

Good Luck

Stew

bogstandard

« Reply #147 on: May 21, 2009, 03:29:22 PM »
Ralph,

Would a bit of hot water cylinder do?

There were plenty down the scrappies.

John

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #148 on: May 21, 2009, 03:59:31 PM »
in my haste I managed to send the ball flying across the 'shop

Pics or it didn't happen!  We're not gonna let you off the hook so easy.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #149 on: May 21, 2009, 04:22:14 PM »
Gee Ralph, I'm sorry to cause so much grieve. All I wanted to know is if you were still going to build one since we, the  :borg:, haven't heard (read) anything about your progress. Last I knew you were experimenting with pressing out half a sphere with that press you had.

I'd be willing to send you some .020" thick sheet brass if that is what you need. Have some in my stock.

Ok, I'll crawl back in my hole now.  :D

Bernd