Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Heron's Aeolipile

(1/32) > >>

Divided he ad:
Well today I started to do a little towards a project I've wanted to do for ages.
Now I know it is an engine of sorts but it is much more a toy in my book.... So it's going here!

Just a couple of photo's to explain what I am going to try to achive.

First photo it my new (old, but new to me) Toggle press... This should help me create the hemispheres that I will need to solder together to make the ball.
There are 3 Brit' coins on it for scale 1,2 and 5 pence pieces also to help you the surface table in the background is 18" square!!
And yes it was bloody heavy to lift 3.5' off the ground onto the bench un-assisted.

And then the blank cut, (on my new saw) faced off and tapped m14x1.5 ready for the arbour.

I know you didn't need to see the blank that I cut....  But it makes me happy to look at what the saw can do  ;D

This blank is going to be made into a punch to be mounted on the press and then I need to make the die and I should be somewhere near making a hollow sphere?!  :)

I know that there are others out there who like these things so I will do my best to log it properly.

Ralph.

Bernd:
I'm liking it Ralph.  :clap:  :thumbup:

I'll bet that the ball turner is going to be involed with this some how?  :D

Bernd

Rog02:
For our Yank members:  The tupence coin (2 pence coin on the right in Ralph's post) measures 1.018" diameter (yeah, I just measured one). 

Ralph?

Are you going to make the dies to punch holes in the sphere?  Just trying to get my head about the toggle press function.

Brass_Machine:
Oooooh!   :clap: :clap: bout time!

Will watch this like a hawk.

Eric

Divided he ad:
Bernd,
the ball turner will make it's apperance shortly  :thumbup:

Rog',
the punch will be the 2" hemispere made from the large blank pictured above and the copper sheet will be annealed and laid onto the die..... Then pressed in one ( I think??) thump of the press...Thus creating half of the final ball!?  Remember this is experimental.... I've never tried this before!?!  ;D

Eric,
I told you I was going to have a go at this.... Don't expect rapid results.... I'm still getting my head around all this new machinery (lathe and mill included  ;) ) Keep them eye's peeled..... (do you use this odd phrase over there? ... means keep an eye out.... Again odd phrase??!??  :o )

Ralph.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version