Author Topic: A Cracker locomotive  (Read 74153 times)

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Re: A Cracker locomotive
« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2011, 05:36:47 PM »
Arnold - that's a beaut of a runner you've got there! I was worried that she might fly off the track at the first corner, she was up to such a good clip, and sounds spot-on. She's really living up to the name "Cracker"  :thumbup:

A quick side-note about solder:

- Olde Worlde electronics & plumbing solder were 60% tin, 40% lead, or very close to. This mixture melts readily, and re-melts readily too. You can still buy it (in the UK at least), e.g from Farnell.

- New electronics (and maybe plumbing?) solder is a mixture of tin & copper - 99.3% tin, 0.7% copper according to the reel I have here. I believe some lead-free solders also contain silver. Lead-free generally melts at a higher temperature than the old lead/tin mix, and needs different fluxes.

The old stuff (& rosin flux, which is also pretty much considered to be evil these days) smells much better than the new stuff, and is easier to use IMHO.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline kvom

« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2011, 08:43:00 AM »
Good job!

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2011, 02:14:52 PM »
Ron, Thanks very much  :beer: - I missed your post!

Thanks once again Benni   :beer: - Don't worry about your spelling  :thumbup: - I really don't think I'm a master though; anybody can do the same; it just requires a bit of effort and persistence  :thumbup:

Cheers Ade  :beer::palm: I got the tin/lead wrong way around...   :lol: - I don't know what the new solder and flux smells like, but I do know the old solder well; repaired and built many a circuit in years gone by.  The smell does get to one after an all-nighter re-soldering about 140 RS232 connectors to change them from 25 pin to 9 pin though  :lol:

Thanks kvom  :beer:

:beer:, Arnold

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #103 on: September 30, 2011, 07:15:18 AM »
Arnold,

Smashing  :thumbup: :clap:

Runs very nice, great post Arnold :bow: :bow: :bow:

:beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)