Author Topic: Diamond Lathe Tool  (Read 10084 times)

Offline Aestus57

• Caithness, Scotland
Diamond Lathe Tool
« on: November 04, 2010, 12:50:21 PM »
Hi Folks,

Xmas is coming and I'm writing my list for Santa!

Has anyone used the "Diamond Lathe Tool" from http://www.eccentricengineering.com.au and can you reccomend it or not?  Think its available in the UK from an agent in Lancashire for about £67.00

Thanks in advance

Peter

Think I'm suffering De Ja Vu and Amnesia at the same time, I'm sure I've forgotten this before!

Offline cidrontmg

Re: Diamond Lathe Tool
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 02:14:45 PM »
The late Rudy Kouhoupt was quite satisfied with it. Too expensive for my taste...
 :wave: 
Olli
Penafiel
Portugal

Offline Ned Ludd

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 02:48:29 PM »
Hi Peter,
Yes, they do work as advertised and are the most easily of all home ground HSS tooling to sharpen. Once you have got one you will use it for a large proportion of your "straight" turning. You will also find out that all those charts giving various angles for tooling for different materials are a load of bunkum, as far as our end of engineering is concerned. Your new tool can be used, with care, on most metals, though possibly not best on cast iron.
As designed the Diamond tool is admittedly aimed more at the finishing cut than a roughing one, so if your lathe has enough power you may still need TC tooling to turn away bulk metal or just take your time, if you have it, something not all of us have enough to waste.

Not wishing to do Eccentric out of their fair profits, why not make your own. There are plans all over the place and if you find you like the tool, as I am sure you will, and want a "Pro" made one then go out and buy one.
Ned
I know enough to do what I do, but the more I know the more I can do!

Leafy suburbs of NW London

Offline Aestus57

• Caithness, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 03:34:14 PM »
 :thumbup:  Thanks Ned, I was wondering how it coped with steel and brass with different rake angles, you seem to have answered my question.
 :mmr:
Think I'm suffering De Ja Vu and Amnesia at the same time, I'm sure I've forgotten this before!

Offline Woz

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 07:17:21 PM »
Hello,

I decided to make one of these tangential tools after seeing plans in Model Engineer's Workshop.  I used a vice on a vice to cut the compound angle on the mill. Not a rock steady set up but it works with light cuts.

As the plans in the magazine were for a different size lathe to mine a went through a MAD process (MDF Aided Design) to get the right size.

This is my first attempt at tooling so I am very happy with the results and it produces a great finish.

Saved a few bob and as they say "Works like a bought one"!

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 07:50:49 AM »
Quote from: eccentric engineering
The Diamond Tool Holder was originally developed in Australia by Des Burke in 1985

From an 1879 catalogue:
http://vios1.rdg.ac.uk/olib/images/nof/scm/trade_literature/tr_scm_p2_b657/005.jpg
Bill

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 08:16:56 AM »
I have mentioned this before, a few years ago when everyone was raving about them.

I remember using tangential tools in the early 70's, so how they can be shown as a new idea, I haven't a clue.

In reality, they never came over as being a very good tool, a sort of OK to use, but a dedicated shaped tool would do a much better job. It was more of a Jack of all trades, but master of none.

I suppose if they charge enough for it, people not in the know will buy them, thinking they are getting something special. If it was priced around 20 squid (including postage), I might consider getting one, for roughie jobs, but as it is, no way. In fact, I personally don't think they are good enough to waste my time making one.

Invest in a good set of normal tooling, it would only cost a few squid more, and you will get much better results if you use them correctly.

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline kwackers

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 08:36:16 AM »
I've got one and I didn't find it to produce a finish any better than my 'Greenwood Tools' tipped cutter.

To be completely fair, I've only tried it once, I may have sharpened it wrong (although it comes with a jig) and at some point I'll give it another go.

Offline Ned Ludd

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 10:35:42 AM »
Hi Guys,
( I wrote this some days ago and I found today that I had not yet posted it, due to being called for dinner, oh the luxury of domestic staff  :lol: it's alright folks I am safe, she will never read this)

They are certainly not a new idea and I would guess that the "patented" bit is only for the sharpening jig, as the basic idea would not be eligible for protection, due to it being public knowledge.

I have made both the Australian Style jig courtesy of Mr. Rick Kruger's drawings and the simple Vee style at 30 degrees. I find the simple jig to provide a better edge than the other one. I assume it is because of the direction of the striations, from the wheel, are in a better orientation for cutting, much like of a pair of scissors which only work properly with cross striations which grip the thing being cut. The Australian style jig does work marvellously for sharpening thread cutting tools.

There are many different ways of getting a good finish and a Tangential tool is merely one of them. Personally I love the Sumitomo T1200 Cermet tips but I am sure that many other manufacturers produce something nearly as good. The point about a Tangential tool is that it is an incredibly cheap thing to make and maintain. It is the most efficient way to use HSS, as it is only ever sharpened on the end, thus saving all the wastage caused by grinding on three sides.

I think there are many users who would question the "master of none" quip, but if that is a personal experience then fair enough. I would never force someone to use one or any other tool for that matter.

For a newbie who is afraid of sharpening HSS, these tools are a wonderful window on what HSS can do, even when sharpened with the simplest of grinding equipment and the minimum of skill. I know, as most of you folks will know too, that there is nothing to fear in grinding HSS but it does put people off and all those different angles can appear a nightmare. I think most will agree that they are a better option for beginners than the wrong choice of carbide tip, as sold by some less reputable, or unaware, dealers. Even when bought as a readymade, the Ozzie tool does not compare too badly with what the the likes of Kennametal or Seco charge for their indexable tip toolholders, well at UK retail prices anyway.
Ned
I know enough to do what I do, but the more I know the more I can do!

Leafy suburbs of NW London