Author Topic: Indexable Cutting Tools  (Read 4740 times)

PeeWee

Indexable Cutting Tools
« on: November 08, 2010, 08:54:19 AM »
Hi All,
I am looking at getting some indexable cutting tools top try out.  any recommnedations of suppliiers or type i should either go for or avoide, such as www.glanze.co.uk

regards

Offline picclock

Re: Indexable Cutting Tools
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 12:53:18 PM »
Hi PeeWee

If its for turning I can recommend the Glanze ones.
Have had other cheapo ones where the insert is not well seated - basically a waste of time.
Best used for serious metal removal (hot blue chips, holes in clothes  :doh:). If you want a good finish hard to beat HSS.

Inserts seem best on lathes with grunt, on the smaller lathes HSS cuts better cos its holds a better edge meaning the lathe requires less power to cut.

If its for a mill much the same.

Good Luck

picclock

Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline j45on

• My tiny workshop Location Ashford Kent
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 01:02:55 PM »
I have most of the small glanze insert tooling now and I love them I'm running a sieg C4 lathe if that helps
I wish I had bought them sooner I waited because I had read they were not really for small machines but they work great on mine  :thumbup:
Jason

Offline kwackers

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 01:54:45 PM »
I love indexable tooling. Mine is mostly the stuff sold by Greenwood's, they last ages, work on pretty much anything and the finish is as good as anything I've ever managed with HSS. (Of course I could just be crap at sharpening HSS...)

Offline Jonny

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 03:50:28 PM »
Share Piclocks view, i never ever had any joy with inserted tooling except Kennametal Top Notch on small machines. Decent HSS Cobalt the way to go.

I do have a boxed set of the Glanze, cheap budget type with German sounding name, big mistake never used because they flex, tips not much better. The £60 or £70 would have been better put towards a Sandvic, Kenametal, Iscar, Ceratizit quality tool.

PeeWee

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 03:40:43 AM »
Hi All,

Thank you for the quick responses, the lathe they will be used on is the WM-250 from warco.  who would be the best supplier of Sandvic, Kenametal, Iscar, Ceratizit etc as i only seem able to find inserts on ebay?

regards

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 04:48:52 AM »
PeeWee,

I have been using the Glanze series now for many years. When I upgraded my machine to a larger set, my original set was given to another model engineer and it is still in daily use.

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Set_of_7_Glanze_Indexable_Lathe_Tools_10mm_Square___XC52__11571.html

The advantage of this system is that it uses two different angles on the very easily obtained, and relatively cheap tips, and the holders make full use of all four corners of the tips for various cutting operations, so you don't throw them away when say the sharp angles are worn out, plus also, I have found the boring tool is very good to use, very little vibration even at full extension.

I found out the other day that Chronos are also now selling the super sharp tips which overcome a lot of the problems of the 'blunt' nature of this type of cutting tool, and don't require as much grunt. Supposedly they cut a mirror finish on ali.

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 11:16:28 AM »
As John said  :thumbup:

I have two sets with different size shanks ,,, all take the same tip  ,,,, makes life easy when all you have to do is bye one type of tip to fit the tooling  :med:

Rob 

PeeWee

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 01:20:12 PM »
thank you all, i have also just noticed that glanze.co.uk is a chronos website, though they don't make them.